The simFlight Network Forums

gpsout & autoroute

Hi

can you please help I am trying to set up gpsout and autoroute have tried all setting but cannot get autoroute to see the gps all I get is no gps connected. I think I have followed all instructions have set speed to 4800 and tried most of the sentence parameters but wom't work. If I start up Hyperteminal on the 2nd computor I see a contious flow of data when fs2004 is running so I guess the connection is ok and the coputor is sending out the data ok to the com ports. any suggestions please.

regards

Peter

I am trying to set up gpsout and autoroute have tried all setting but cannot get autoroute to see the gps all I get is no gps connected. I think I have followed all instructions have set speed to 4800 and tried most of the sentence parameters but wom't work.

I haven't tried Autoroute for years (I don't have it now), but I seem to remember that the GPS part of it was an optional install, not part of the normal installation you got.

I don't recall if the speed is adjustable either. As noted in the short text file in the GPSout Zip, the only NMEA sentence which AutoRoute 2001 seemed to recognise was GGA.

If I start up Hyperteminal on the 2nd computor I see a contious flow of data when fs2004 is running

Does the data look right? It should be all normal text data, one sentence per line, normally starting $GGA,or whatever sentence it was.

If so then you need to double check how you've setup AutoRoute. Maybe there are other users here. Sorry I'm not much help with programs I don't have.

Regards,

Pete

hi Pete's

I sometimes run Microsoft Autoroute on my laptop... connected to FS

I use A Belkin USB serial adaptor at the Laptop end as it has no Serial output, and a standard null modem cable (if i remember rightly !) This plugs into COM2 on the desktop(FS)computer.

Here's the settings in my GPSout.ini

[GPSout]

Sentences=GGA,GLL,GSA,PGRMZ

Interval=500

Port=COM2

Speed=4800

Hope this helps

PS, The "Car" icon will show up on the map. I haven't been able to get it to move fluidly as the comms rate is slow but it update about every 5-10 secs which I can cope with

Stu

MAC184

http://margaritaair.com/

Pete.

Thanks for the quick reply. yes the gps on autoroute has to be installed seperatly this I have done but when you go to gps the track the error message no gps connected is shown. the speed is not adjustable but it states to set the gps at 4800

If I start hyperterminal on the second computor when fs starts the text is displayed but no its not text as such

Sample of output to hyperterminal this is continous

(x††`ž˜†à†à†à†˜†ø˜~˜f`f†˜à†žà˜àžàx†˜x†à†à†à†à†à†à†à†à†à††ž˜x††ž˜x††f

æxfxf€˜€`†f`f†ž†~ø††žxà†BB0fæxæ€f€˜€)

Have now tried the settings that Stu suggested still the same

Stu.

thanks for your settings as you can see from above still not right.

thanks again to both of you

regards

Peter

If I start hyperterminal on the second computor when fs starts the text is displayed but no its not text as such

Sample of output to hyperterminal this is continous

(x††`ž˜†à†à†à†˜†ø˜~˜f`f†˜à†žà˜àžàx†˜x†à†à†à†à†à†à†à†à†à††ž˜x††ž˜x††f

æxfxf€˜€`†f`f†ž†~ø††žxà†BB0fæxæ€f€˜€)

That looks a bit like the speed is wrong. Assuming GPSout is set for 4800 and hyperterminal is set for 4800 as well (and 8 bit no parity) then it appears as if your cabling is incorrect. That's the only thing left to go wrong really.

Also, you say that hyperterminal is receiving this rubbish continuously? No gaps at all? Set the interval in GPSout to, say, 5 seconds (5000). Is it still continuous? If so, then it certainly isn't getting anything related to what GPSout is sending. Maybe the COM port you've identified is wrong, either end or both?

You can check what is coming out to the serial port on the FS PC by using "PortMon" on that PC, a handy utility freely available from http://www.systeminternals.com. Try that so you can be sure -- run it before starting FS.

Regards,

Pete

Pete.

cheched ouput with portmon and the output is ok, tried changing the interval as you suggested and I now get the following on the hyperterminal

$GPGGA,171640.00,4725.8904,N,12218.4798,W,1,05,0.0,131.9,M,,,,*2C

$GPGSA,A,3,01,02,03,,,,,,,,,,3.0,3.0,3.0*31

$PGRMZ,432.9,f,2*08

$GPGLL,4725.8904,N,12218.4798,W,171640.00,A*18

Which I guess is some where near right.

It is poss that the cable is incorrect as Ive Had to mak up a plug and socket to get a straight cable to a null modem but I think it is correct and hyperterminal produces the corrrect characters on the opp screen both ways,

but autoroute still does not see a gps connected,

regards

Peter

I now get the following on the hyperterminal

$GPGGA,171640.00,4725.8904,N,12218.4798,W,1,05,0.0,131.9,M,,,,*2C

$GPGSA,A,3,01,02,03,,,,,,,,,,3.0,3.0,3.0*31

$PGRMZ,432.9,f,2*08

$GPGLL,4725.8904,N,12218.4798,W,171640.00,A*18

Which I guess is some where near right.

That looks completely right.

but autoroute still does not see a gps connected

There's something wrong with its settings then. There's no other possibility. Hypertermnal proves it.

Anyway, try selecting only the GGA sentence in GPSout and making the interval 1000 (one second).

Regards,

Pete

Hi Peter, Here's the wiring connections I used for a 9pin-9pin Null modem serial cable. Hope this helps

Serial null-modem wiring 9pin

******Computer 1 --------- Computer 2

TD............pin3 -------------------pin2

RD........... pin2 -------------------pin3

RTS......... pin7 -------------------pin8

CTS......... pin8 -------------------pin7

DSR......... pin6 -------------------pin4

DTR......... pin4 -------------------pin6

Ground.....pin5 -------------------pin5

Also go into your device managers on each computer and double check that the comms port is actually set to 4800 on both computers. That was one of the problems I initially had.. good luck !! :wink:

Stu

MAC184

Edit:- It seems to work ok on my set up on any interval over 300

Have double checked my conection same as yours stu, have set both com ports in device manager to 4800, have also tried the settings from pete.

still not seeing a gps connected

Then there certainly must be something wrong in the Autoroute installation or settings.

Pete

Hmmm

There's not much you can set up in Auto-route..

One thing i didn't post before was the port settings so here goes, just in case :wink:

-------------------------

Bps - 4800

Data Bits - 8

Parity - None

Stop Bits - 1

Flow control - None

---------------------------

Make sure your using Com2 , I had problems using Com1 (never figured out why?)

Also I am using AutoRoute 2003 not the latest one

Other than that I'm running out of suggestions :?

Stu

MAC184

Stu.

Have checked all the settings and are the same as yours, also tried com 2 so now clutching at straws decided to swap machines, and guess what it works,

So can anyone explain

computor 1.

Amd athlon 2000+ 1.66Ghz 512MB Ram

Windows XP Pro Ver 2002

Service pack 2

Flight Sim 2004 with VFR Photo scenery 1,2,3,& 4

AutoRoute 2001

Computor 2

Pentium 3 500Mhz

320 MB Ram

Window 98 SE

Flight Sim same copy as above

Autoroute same copy as above

works ok from 2 to 1 but not 1 to 2 obviously need to run fs on computor 1 as is the better and faster machine,

any suggestions as to why or solutions to try

Regards Peter

Computor 2

Window 98 SE

works ok from 2 to 1 but not 1 to 2 obviously need to run fs on computor 1 as is the better and faster machine,

any suggestions as to why or solutions to try

Unless there's some weird hardware problem on one of them, I can only suggest two things to try:

1. Upgrade PC2's operating system from Win98 to WinXP.

2. Try a USB-Serial adapter on one or both machines, instead of using the inbuilt serial ports. You'd be bypassing whatever drivers for the hardware that may be messing things up.

As choice (2) is a deal cheaper and quicker than (1) (you can pick up USB serial connectorrs quite cheap these days), I'd say try that first.

Regards,

Pete

Stu/Pete

At last problem solved. have updated autoroute to 2002 on the 2nd computor now working ok have now got baud rate on the com ports at 9600 and using serial cable on built in com ports If I carry on like this I'll bee as good as you guys!.

thanks again for all your help and assistance will be in touch again when next in trouble I guess

all the best and regards

Peter :D :D