The simFlight Network Forums

joystick and stick_sensitivity_mode=0

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello Peter,

I followed your advices and added the string stick_sensitivity_mode=0 to my fs9.cfg, set full sensibility and no deadband in the fs9 joystick menu and calibrated the deadband via fsuipc, following the fsuipc manual.

Now It feels much better (thank you) because I added deadband where I felt I needed it, around the center of the yoke and rudder buttons.

However there's still something not right and would like your help to fix it :wink:

I feel that deadband aside, when I rotate the yoke there's too much input in flight simulator: for instance when I pull the yoke torwards me the aircraft tends to rotate a way too quickly often causing aircraft stress damage. This used to be called sensitivity before the stick_sensitivity_mode string was added. And if I recall correctly you advice to set full sensibility and no deadband in the fs9 joystick menu and indeed use fsuipc to calibrate it instead.

Now that I use fsuipc to calibrate the joystick, what do I have to set in order to keep everything as it is except reduce sensitivity?

Let's say if I tilt the yoke at 30 degress it reads 12000. I would like it to be dimmer , let's say 8000. So that I'm still able to use the full axis; it simply translates in less input in flight simulator.

So far the only way has been to reduce the realism settings from 100% to 50%, but I'd rather solve it at joystick level.

Does it make sense?

Thank you

Luca

I feel that deadband aside, when I rotate the yoke there's too much input in flight simulator: for instance when I pull the yoke torwards me the aircraft tends to rotate a way too quickly often causing aircraft stress damage. This used to be called sensitivity before the stick_sensitivity_mode string was added. And if I recall correctly you advice to set full sensibility and no deadband in the fs9 joystick menu and indeed use fsuipc to calibrate it instead.

This is because all the FS "sensitivity" does is reduce the effect of your joystick, cutting its range. That is not really what you want.

Now that I use fsuipc to calibrate the joystick, what do I have to set in order to keep everything as it is except reduce sensitivity?

Just adjust the slope -- choose the one that suits you best. The "S" shaped responses available provide full range still, but with less sensitivity (more movement for less effect) near the centre, but more sensitivity (less movement for more effect) towards the outside, so you can still achieve full deflections.

Using the correct slope for your joystick should mean you can use a much smaller central dead" zone - in fact try it with none at all to start with.

Does it make sense?

Yes, of course. You seem to have missed this whole facility in FSUIPC, one of the most important to get the best from your joystick/yoke. :wink:

Regards,

Pete

Hi Luca,

One other note. You don't mention what sort of yoke you're using, but if it's got trim wheels like the CH yokes, make sure they're centered before you calibrate. If they're very far off-center, you can end up with a large increase in sensitivity on one side of the mid-position or the other after you calibrate.

Best regards,

- Bob

The StickWorks

http://www.stickworks.com

Guest Anonymous

This is because all the FS "sensitivity" does is reduce the effect of your joystick, cutting its range. That is not really what you want.

Just adjust the slope -- choose the one that suits you best. The "S" shaped responses available provide full range still, but with less sensitivity (more movement for less effect) near the centre, but more sensitivity (less movement for more effect) towards the outside, so you can still achieve full deflections.

Using the correct slope for your joystick should mean you can use a much smaller central dead" zone - in fact try it with none at all to start with.

Does it make sense?

Yes, of course. You seem to have missed this whole facility in FSUIPC, one of the most important to get the best from your joystick/yoke.

Regards,

Pete

Yes, I missed it :-)

I'm quite happy how the elevators and ailerons work now, thank you.

I'm still not happy about the rudder (a 2 way button on the throttle):

Let's define the rudder play with a scale from 0 to 100, where 0 is center and 100 is full pressed:

Now (with deadband and s (medium) slope) it starts interacting at 15, works well till 60, then it jumps up to full rudder at 75-80, then it's almost of no use from 80 to 100.

Current calibration via fsuipc, with full left-right span.

This is not a complaint guys, just wanted to know how to tweak it further :wink:

p.s.

how does the filter checkbox work?

p.p.s.

I have a saitek X45 (yoke-throttle with button rudders). Custom profile and custom fs9 keyboard shortcuts.

Regards and have a nice bank holiday

Luca

I'm still not happy about the rudder (a 2 way button on the throttle)

You have a rudder control represented by two buttons? That is equivalent to trying to control rudder from the keyboard!?

If I were you I'd give that up and set the "auto-rudder" option on in FS. Until you get a proper analogue rudder (i.e. pedals), you are really doing yourself no favours.

Current calibration via fsuipc, with full left-right span.

ErFSUIPC cannot calibrate rudders operated by button presses. Only those input from proper axes.

how does the filter checkbox work?

When it is checked it applies a mild digital filter on that input. This simply attenuates changes (read "smooths out jitter") faster than a certain frequency, which I cannot remember off-hand. It works quite well with joysticks with dirty pots or bad power supplies. It won't make any difference with good inputs.

Regards

Pete

Guest Anonymous

ErFSUIPC cannot calibrate rudders operated by button presses. Only those input from proper axes.

No it's an analog dual button that is represented by an analog axis in fs.

It works very well if you haven't got enough space under the desk :-)

Basically the dual button tilts both ways almost an inch so you have a lot of play with the second and forth fingers of the left hand when operating the throttle.

Basically I can turn the filter on for all axis without incurring any side effects can't I?

Regards

Luca

No it's an analog dual button that is represented by an analog axis in fs.

It works very well if you haven't got enough space under the desk :-)

Basically the dual button tilts both ways almost an inch so you have a lot of play with the second and forth fingers of the left hand when operating the throttle.

Oh, I see. Well, you should be able to calibrate it well. Mayke sure you get a good centre, and take care to have FS's own rudder trim centred too.

Basically I can turn the filter on for all axis without incurring any side effects can't I?

Yes. The only adverse affect it could possibly have is a slight slow down in the response rate. That's inevitable with any digital filter system as it needs to wait (delay) for several samples to operate. If you are flying fighters or performing aerobatics, then you might want the filtering off. Otherwise you won't notice.

Regards,

Pete