The simFlight Network Forums

help with MCP747 and WideFS

I have just purchased WideFS to use with Aerosoft's MCP747 externally with Level D's 767. I know you have had some communications problem with those people at LDS, but is this not possible at all. I noticed some of the controls are passing through LAN when the MCP is set on "FS2004" but no response when it's set to "LevelD767". How can I make this work?

This is nothing whatsoever to do with WideFS. All WideFS does is offer an FSUIPC interface on a client PC.

I thought Aerosoft stopped developing the 747MCP firmware and driver long before the LDS767 came out? The support in the version I have is for Wilco's 767PIC -- is the LDS 767 the same?

Anyway, you'll never get that working through WideFS or FSUIPC because the 767PIC (and prersumably also the LDS767) support by Aerosoft was via a special DLL Wilco provided which runs on the FS PC and bypasses FSUIPC altogether. I really cannot do anything with that at all, irrespecive of any strained relationships.

Regards,

Pete

Hi,

It's technically impossible (IMHO) to connect the MCP747 to another computer then the one that runs FS9.

But why would you?? Everything is available (a Level-D mcp747.exe version packed with the Level-D software) to connect it to the FS9 PC (via a COM port). It runs flawlessly... no impact om fps so why?

Regards,

Nico Kaan

It's technically impossible (IMHO) to connect the MCP747 to another computer then the one that runs FS9.

That's not true. I've always used it on another computer, via WideFS. It is connected that way here at this very moment.

But then I've only ever used iy with Project Magenta or standard FS autopilots, not with either of the 767's.

The difference is, of course, the interface direct to the 767 DLL. It doesn't use FSUIPC offsets therefore WideFS cannot help.

Regards,

Pete

That's not true. I've always used it on another computer, via WideFS. It is connected that way here at this very moment.

Pete

Sorry for the confusion Pete, I meant to use MCP747 with Level-D on two different PC's

(I am so focussed on Level-D that I cannot imagine any other uses ;-) )

I am so focussed on Level-D that I cannot imagine any other uses ;-)

LOL! If I'm not careful I get that way with 737NGs and Project Magenta. I'm getting so deeply involved in the subsystems I forget there are other aircraft which are rather different! :wink:

Regards,

Pete

MCP747 is currently supporting LDS 767 and .dll is provided with LDS to interface with FS9. In the MCP software, there is a dialog window which shows FSUIPC and EFIS communications (you will need to download the latest MCP.exe software to see what I am talking about). Well anyway, I assumed that it used FSUIPC to send input data to FS9 and thought it could do it over LAN, just the same. I guess I am wrong and this is not possible at all. I wish there was some way to get that sofware to run via LAN.

But why would you?? Everything is available (a Level-D mcp747.exe version packed with the Level-D software) to connect it to the FS9 PC (via a COM port). It runs flawlessly... no impact om fps so why?

The reson why I am running the software on a diffrent PC is because it does impact the FPS and also uses processing power when sending data through EFIS and it slowing down my FS9 which is allready at 100% CPU usage.

... slowing down my FS9 which is allready at 100% CPU usage.

I found that the Aerosoft MCP747 driver does have some impact on FS performance too, you are correct. It certainly isn't a big hit, though. And it is a lot better on a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading. I actually found the TRC (SimKits) driver to give more impact.

However, just to correct one possible misunderstanding, I think you'll find that FS uses 100% CPU according to Windows performance measurements no matter what. It seems to have routines which "soak up" idle time. It doesn't mean it is actually using it all to any purpose, and it should therefore relinquish any spare if other processes demanded it.

You may also find a better balance if you impose a frame rate limit (in the Settings-Options-Hardware-Display dialogue).

On a Pentium 4 with "hyperthreading", FS shows 50% rather than 100%, but only because it doesn't take advantage of multi-threading.

Regards,

Pete

The reson why I am running the software on a diffrent PC is because it does impact the FPS and also uses processing power when sending data through EFIS and it slowing down my FS9 which is allready at 100% CPU usage.

..hmm.... . I have not experienced that. Think of all the other 20 or more processes that are running under the Windows Operating System...

Kill as many you don't need.

Furthermore FS9 will always try to use 100% of the CPU. This program is still cpu bound. You better limit the fps to 20.