The simFlight Network Forums

Cowl Flaps

Pete

I need your help to assign (and calibrate) cowl flaps (single engine) to one of the spare levers (I chose the middle lever arbitrarily) on a CH Yoke (USB) using FSUIPC 3.48. I have read the manual(s) as thoroughly as I am able but I still need some clarification. In accordance with the instructions I have assigned the designated value (from the FS2004 list of controls), ie COWLFLAP1_SET 66162 in the [Joystick Calibration] section of the ini file. I then tried to assign the axis via "settings - joystick assignments" in FS2004 (to the middle lever on the CH Yoke) to Cowl Flaps, but could not achieve that, I could only assign a key stroke for cowl flaps. On starting FS2004, opening FSUIPC and going to Page 8 of the joystick set up for cowl flaps, I find that none of the levers on the yoke move any of the values on Page 8 for the cowl flaps. This is not surprising as I haven’t assigned anything in FS2004 for FSUIPC to work with. Therefore, I have obviously missed a step somewhere! My question is how to assign an axis or axes in FS2004 (to Cowl Flaps) so that it is assigned to the middle lever on the CH Yoke and hence FSUIPC can calibrate it?

Hope you can help?

Yours in Potting

pH

In accordance with the instructions I have assigned the designated value (from the FS2004 list of controls), ie COWLFLAP1_SET 66162 in the [Joystick Calibration] section of the ini file.

But Cowl Flap 1 is not assignable in the FS assignments dialogue. Whatever control you tell FSUIPC to use has to be one which FS is reading already -- FSUIPC is not a joystick driver, it does NOT read the axes at all. All it is doing is intercepting the controls which FS is using and changing them to do what you want.

Probably the axis you originally had assigned to that lever was already assigned in FS. All you need to do is find the numeric corresponding to THAT control, then tell FSUIPC what it is in the "CowlFlaps1Control=n" line.

I then tried to assign the axis via "settings - joystick assignments" in FS2004 (to the middle lever on the CH Yoke) to Cowl Flaps, but could not achieve that

I know. That is precisely WHY these facilities were added to FSUIPC. It is a "fiddle". You assign any otherwise unused axis control in FS then tell FSUIPC what it is so it can detect them.

My question is how to assign an axis or axes in FS2004 (to Cowl Flaps) so that it is assigned to the middle lever on the CH Yoke and hence FSUIPC can calibrate it?

Assign any otherwise usused axis (the one it normally gets assigned would be fine). Then tell FSUIPC which it is.

Regards,

Pete