The simFlight Network Forums

Unsolicited key press repeats (Goflight RP48 and PM RJ)

I am attempting to program rotary controls (on the RP48) to control decision height and ND Range on a client hosted copy of PM RJ. The GF controls are connected to the server.

Using the FSUIPC button interface, I can successfully associate the rotaries with the relevant PM controls. However, there seems to a 'runaway' issue in that after an initial input (e.g. a single anti-clockwise click to reduce decision height) the control seems to be repeated and cannot be stopped by a clockwise input. Same happens with ND range - I will start at, say, 12.5 nm range and wish to increase to 25. The initial input does this, but carries on (with an interval of about 0.25 second) until maximum range is achieved.

I have ensured that the relevant Goflight rotaries do not have any conflicts in terms of Goflight managed FS controls (i.e. they are unassigned from a GF perspective), but the remaining rotaries and push buttons on the RP48 unit use (successfully) a combination of FSUIPC associations and Goflight controls.

I have not posted to the PM forum on the matter as instinct suggests I should approach this from an FSUIPC angle first.

Hope you can shed some light.

Regards

Rick Buresh

... after an initial input (e.g. a single anti-clockwise click to reduce decision height) the control seems to be repeated and cannot be stopped by a clockwise input. Same happens with ND range

... the remaining rotaries and push buttons on the RP48 unit use (successfully) a combination of FSUIPC associations and Goflight controls.

FSUIPC performs the same sorts of actions from connected buttons no matter whether they be for PM or FS or whatever. If the same rotary swtches work okay for non-PM controls, then there is something going on specific to PM. If they are the controls where I set a bit and they clear a bit, it sounds like the clearing part is not occurring.

I don't know which PM controls you are using -- for many PM functions there appears to be several alternatives. However, all FSUIPC will be doing is following the instructions in the PM offsets documentation, which you can find yourself in the PM site.

To check that FSUIPC is indeed doing the correct things, you can Monitor the appropriate offsets (check in the PM documentation), with all changes being recorded in the FSUIPC LOG. I can then look at that for you if you like.

If you are not sure how to proceed, let me know the precise programming details for the controls you are having problems with and I'll give some more advice.

First, though, you may want to seek assurance from PM support that the controls you are trying to use have been designed to work correctly with PMRJ -- most of the ones I programmed in FSUIPC only used to work if you had the MCP or FCU also installed -- they were actualy routed through there. The general advice from Enrico at the time was to use the "GC controls by parameter" controls, which send values to offset 04F4. I know he did try to improve this support for more direct action, and this was certainly done for Airbus and Boeing, I really don't know about the PMRJ stuff.

When you do ask for support here, please always confirm the version numbers of the modules of mine that you are using -- WideFS and FSUIPC in this case. If they are not the current supported versions (as detailed in the Announcements), please update them first.

Regards

Pete