The simFlight Network Forums

Calibrating Trim in FS2004

Im having problems calibrating the elevator trim with MSFS '04 and my PFC cirrus console. I have made numerous attempts to fix the problem, however, I have yet to get the full elevator trim travel set right. Any help or insight into this problem would be great.

Thanks

Im having problems calibrating the elevator trim with MSFS '04 and my PFC cirrus console. I have made numerous attempts to fix the problem, however, I have yet to get the full elevator trim travel set right. Any help or insight into this problem would be great.

Are you using PFC.DLL? Which version?

What exactly do you mean by "calibrating the elevator trim"? On my Cirrus console the trim is by buttons on the left yoke handle. It operates incrementally. It is not an axis, there is no calibration to perform.

Please clarify what software you are using and what sort of trim control you are attempting to "calibrate".

Pete

im using PFC.DLL version 1.9. Better stated, my problem is that when I use the trim im not getting full travel in the simulated aircraft for example. I have been flying the Mooney Bravo and when the trim wheel on the console is at the nose up limit....the trim indicator for the airplane indicates only a small adjustment. This problem makes trimming for level flight impossible.

Hope that clears up the question

Thanks

im using PFC.DLL version 1.9. when the trim wheel on the console is at the nose up limit....the trim indicator for the airplane indicates only a small adjustment. This problem makes trimming for level flight impossible.

Hope that clears up the question

Hmm, no it doesn't, for me, sorry.

The odd thing here is that you have a trim wheel on the Cirrus console? I've not got one of those. Is it an analogue input? The only analogue trim inputs I've programmed are for the 737NG cockpit, which has analogue trim inputs for all three axes -- elevator, aileron and rudder. That works okay. You calibrate in PFC.DLL just like any other of the axes. I assume you have done some calibration?

If the trim axis behaves like any other it should work fine, but I don't know the hardware and have never seen this Cirrus modification (is it the "Professional"? Is that still called a Cirrus?). So, I'm afraid I will have to refer you to PFC support. Maybe it's a hardware problem in any case, I really can't understand what you are seeing.

By all means try my latest internal version of PFC.DLL, attached, just in case it helps. Let me know how you get on, either way, please. Maybe a pic of your modified Cirrus would be interesting?

Regards,

Pete

PFCDLL1942.zip

I received one good result with PFC 1.942 anyways, though it may not be relevant to your query, depending how the trim wheel works on your Cirrus. This is from a message mistakenly (I hope) sent to me privately:

Giving PFCDLL 1942 a whirl with my cirrus yoke turo-prop throttle quadrant and pfc rudder pedals.

I changed the elevator trim unit to 18 and just calibrated the ailerons/elevator/rudder pedals/brakes.

Performance is very good for the short time I flew in the Aeroworx B200 and have no complaints.

The trim was smoother and seemed to trim the a/c very nicely. I'll try this DLL file more tomorrow.

Thought I would let you know it performed very well for me.

Thanks for the quick feedback. As you are talking about trim units I assume that you have a similar Cirrus to me, and not an analogue trim wheel?

You do know you can have two speeds for the trim, based on how long you press the button for? I tend to prefer fine adjustments with quick short presses, but still need major adjustments at times so hold the button down.

Since the days I wrote that part of the code I found out that on airliners such as the 737 the electric/autopilot trim actually operates at twice the speed when there are any flaps down. This is something I may look at doing in PFC.DLL one day.

Regards,

Pete

First, I referred to the wrong console...im actually using the professional. I apologize for the confusion. My question now is do the numerical values under the elevator trim category (see attached) have specific settings. By this I mean, to work properly is there a single value that should go in the input value box etc. Or do the values vary with each individul setup.

Thanks

post-12144-128689190293_thumb.jpg

My question now is do the numerical values under the elevator trim category (see attached) have specific settings. By this I mean, to work properly is there a single value that should go in the input value box etc. Or do the values vary with each individul setup.

The values are entirely meaningless. Every axis you use needs calibrating as every instance of the hardware will vary to some extend. Please just calibrate ALL your axces, including trim, following the instructions provided.

Pete

Im not exactly sure what cured the problem, but the trim seems to function correctly now. I did install the new PFCDLL, I also changed com ports and adjusted the trim sensitivity. One of these or a combination of the above ended up solving the problem.

Thanks for the help,