The simFlight Network Forums

gauges on networked PC

Hi,

short answer: no, it isn't. FS gauges are part of FS itself and have to be run inside FS. But there are alternatives. You may want to look at ProjectMagenta. These gauges can be used in the way you want because they are written as external programs that interface to FS via FSUIPC and WideFS. There may be more of that kind. Check the links on http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html (right hand side).

Regards,

Frank

Thank you. I have been assuming PM is the way to go. On the other hand, having recently seen FSXpand, I though I might be able to save some money. Unfortunately, FSXpand doesn't have appropriate gauges for a 737 other than the EICAS nor is the visual interface very sexy.

Yet another option is to use MaxiVista, a program that will allow networked computer monitors to be seen as a "Virtual Monitor" on the host computer.

The latest version of MaxiVista will support up to three "Virtual Monitors," IOW, three networked computer's monitors.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with bringing on multiple video cards is that the refresh rate drops dramatically and Microsoft has not yet addressed this. I'll probably go the traditional way using Project Magenta. I used the demos with three networked computers each using one card and the performance is acceptable.

I suppose I could use a multihead card; however, it'll be the same cost to network two older systems to my primary system so what the heck... Additionally, PM offers substantially greater realism that the standard gauges.

Thanks guys!

The problem with bringing on multiple video cards is that the refresh rate drops dramatically and Microsoft has not yet addressed this. I'll probably go the traditional way using Project Magenta. I used the demos with three networked computers each using one card and the performance is acceptable.

It will not drop if you add *instrument panels* to the other screens. Just one 3D *outside view* per PC, but you can have many *panels* with 2D gauges just fine. You need to run in windowed mode though, but just adjust your screen to get the titlebar off the top edge... :)

I get good FPS with my setup. Geforce4 on "scenery view" and a Matrox Mystique PCI for the instrument panel on the picture below:

panel-aug25-05.jpg

//Tuomas