The simFlight Network Forums

Easy step guide to CH Throttle calibration

I know much has been written on calibrating the CH throttle quadrant with and without FSUIPC. Has anyone written easy to understand 1,2,3 steps to accomplish this frustrating task? After having just completed a very difficult move and set-up of equipment, I'm finding I must re-calibrate FS joystick axis with CH yoke, rudder pedals and biggest headache of all - the CH TQ. I'm tired of spending hours with this project and just about ready to throw in the towel. I've read the documentation on this site plus the stickworks material, but it just is not working for me.

I've read the documentation on this site plus the stickworks material, but it just is not working for me.

If the standard Windows calibration plus the documentation from CH and the extra stuff from Bob "Sticky" Church is not yielding satisfactory results then I must say it sounds likely you have a faulty quadrant -- I should contact CH support if I were you, or your supplier.

Please do not try to use anything in FSUIPC to do basic calibration. You need properly working and calibrated joysticks to start with. FSUIPC is not a joystick driver and knows nothing at all about them.

Regards,

Pete

Same here.

I had to reinstall my system and had to go through the callibration and setup procedure all over again.

Point is I forgot how to do it, so I consulted Bob's manual again.

Devices callibrated, reverse axis range set to 240, with maximum range of 255 and still no reverse range in the sim.

Well, go figure, I wish it was less complicated than that.

Thanks

Dom

OK, I sorted it out.

This has nothing to do with the callibration, it is the FSUIPC itself.

The only way I got the reverser to work is to do a 2-step approach.

First I set the throttle axis to '0' on Page 1 of controller setup, click filter, the, and only then I set the axis on page 3.

Here please see the pics of my settings I'm talking about:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/scr003.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/3b7bee.jpg

Hope this helps anybody with this peculiar problem.

Dom

OK, I sorted it out.

This has nothing to do with the callibration, it is the FSUIPC itself.

The only way I got the reverser to work is to do a 2-step approach.

First I set the throttle axis to '0' on Page 1 of controller setup, click filter, the, and only then I set the axis on page 3.

If you want to use FSUIPC for reverse on the same single axis as forward thrust, yes, you have to map the single throttle (FS's generic threottle has no reverse capability) to the 4 separate throttles, then do your calibration there, on page 3. If does state this in the documentation.

However, I thought there was also a documented way to get reverse on the CH quadrant using the CH control manager -- I don't have such a quadrant but this is what other folks have said.

Are, in fact, the throttles on the CH quadrant separate for each engine? Maybe one or more got assigned to the main all-engine throttle and this was overriding the separate ones? Or maybe you had (possibly still have?) something assigned to that main throttle, which would explain why you think you ned to "kill it" in FSUIPC?

Please just thoroughly check through the FS Assignments -- Options, Controls, Assignments. Be sure to check this for ALL listed joysticsk (there's a drop down to select them from). It is really sounding like you have dual assignments for throttle which were conflicting.

Regards

Pete

Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for your comments,

it is actually the first time we have an opportunity to talk virtually, we have met once in Birmingham during the Sim Show several years back.

Ok, this is in fact no precedence what I am talking about here, as this has also happened prior to my system reinstall.

Since I have reinstalled my system, FS and controllers along with it, I have thoroughly checked for double assignments and there are none.

Before I attempt to tweak FSUIPC settings I always make sure my assignments and sensitivities are OK.

For me, at least, it's the good news that I got the problems sorted out as I can go back to flying instead of playing with settings.

Thanks and let me tell you: I really admire your dedication to the FS community.

Thanks

Dom

it is actually the first time we have an opportunity to talk virtually, we have met once in Birmingham during the Sim Show several years back.

Oh, right! Apologies if I don't remember. so many faces at these shows I even almost forget who I am!

For me, at least, it's the good news that I got the problems sorted out as I can go back to flying instead of playing with settings.

Yes, indeed. I envy you! I seem to spend all my flight time tweaking and testing. Only natural I suppose when I think I know what is going on 'underneath' and think something is not quite right! ;-)

Best regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

>> However, I thought there was also a documented way to get reverse on the CH quadrant using the CH control manager... <<

To clarify a bit. You can do it with the Control Manager, but it relies on two "virtual" buttons, one that's on when the lever is in the detent (about 1/2" ahead of fully back) to send a min throttle command and then one that's on when the lever is behind the detent that you can program to send the decrease throttle command. It's basically keyboard control, though it does work better if the FS button commands are used, especially if you're doing pitch and mixture.

There is no way that I'm aware of (aside from using FSUIPC) to get analog control of reverse thrust, but lots of people assume (I did, too, when I first started working with it) that if they just pull the lever back, FS will do the reversal automatically and it leads to lots of confusion.

Best regards,

- Bob

The StickWorks

http://www.stickworks.com