The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with throttle calibration

Hello Pete,

I just bought FSUIPC 3.50. The doc is not up to date for the joystick calibration tab.

The screenshot provided does not correspond with the actual screen design.

In 3.50 I have 3 columns : "Reverse", "idle" and "Max" with two rows for "Idle". How to use them for calibrate my GF-TQ6 ?

Thanks.

:D

I just bought FSUIPC 3.50. The doc is not up to date for the joystick calibration tab.

Not true, apart from the new facility to make them aircraft specific.

The screenshot provided does not correspond with the actual screen design.

In 3.50 I have 3 columns : "Reverse", "idle" and "Max" with two rows for "Idle".

None of the columns have been changed since about version 2. The headings are different in each page depending on the axes concerned. The separate throttles page (page 3) has always been as you say.

How to use them for calibrate my GF-TQ6 ?

You follow the instructions, step by step. This is no different from any version over the last four or five years. What is the problem?

Regards,

Pete

ok for the doc :oops:

I have a problem with the F1 ATR72-500 and GF-TQ6 :

The ATR got a notch on the throttle. This notch set automatic power management. The procedure at take-off is to set (GF-TQ6) throttles levers to idle, perform a right_click on the logical throttle (the screen) to put levers on the notch, this sets automatic power mngt on.

The problem is a loss of power at take-off or assymetric thrust. If the ATR detect a movement with the lever, it disconnects the automatic power mngt.

So, I tried to calibrate the throttles, to set an (large) idle zone, but these actions do not solve the problem.

Another question is that when I advance levers to full forward this increase the IN value to 15000, 16000 and it finish to -4096 :shock:

Should I set MAX value to 163xx or -4096 ?

The problem is a loss of power at take-off or assymetric thrust. If the ATR detect a movement with the lever, it disconnects the automatic power mngt.

So, I tried to calibrate the throttles, to set an (large) idle zone, but these actions do not solve the problem.

Hmmmnot sure I understand. But if it asymmetric inputs which are the concern, there is a switchable FSUIPC option to equalise them all. It's the "throttle sync" hot key, in the Hot Keys page. You can program a key press there, and if you have one, a button to send in in the Buttons page.

Another question is that when I advance levers to full forward this increase the IN value to 15000, 16000 and it finish to -4096 :shock:

The "IN" value is what FSUIPC is seeing coming from the control. How your control is producing maximum reverse at full forward I don't know. Have you got some other drivers doing this?

If this is only with the specific aircraft, try checking the option at the bottom of the 4 throttles page, to stop FSUIPC processing the old THROTTLEn_SET controls. Maybe they are being used by the aircraft's thrust management asystem. I know you need that for the Feelthere ERJ 145.

Should I set MAX value to 163xx or -4096 ?

Certainly not the -4096, but even calibrating it for the highest positive you get won't help if you push the stick into the -4096 zone. There's no way FSUIPC can distinguish that from a negative number, because it is one!

If your quadrant does this even for standard default aircraft, then I would say it was faulty --- it means there's a bad contact or a short at one end of the travel. In that case get it replaced.

Regards,

Pete

Hmmmnot sure I understand. But if it asymmetric inputs which are the concern, there is a switchable FSUIPC option to equalise them all. It's the "throttle sync" hot key, in the Hot Keys page. You can program a key press there, and if you have one, a button to send in in the Buttons page.

I think the problem initialy come from the GF-TQ6. altough the levers does not move, FSUIPC/FS receives erratics/spikes values from the throttle. I don't know how to manage that.

The assumption is that altough an idle zone is set, FS receive a spike that come over the null zone, this disconnect the auto-torque mngt on the corresponding axis. As the lever is physicaly at idle position, the engine power is then set to idle. This results with an assymetric thrust at take off.

I went on atr's forum and I saw that many guys got the same problem, some have solve the problem with FSUIPC (how ? I don't know) and others gives up...

After more tests, I noticed in FSUIPC that when I put levers in the notch (right-click set automatic power management on the ATR), the IN and OUT values of the throttle are both set to 10000. I understand now that if the throttle is not absolutly stable, a new value is sent to FSUIPC, so the PM is then disconnected and the engine torque go back to 0% (idle value from the throttle) !

So I can't see how FSUIPC can solve the problem... The only way, I think, is to inhibit throttle input when PM is set !?

Another way may be an upstream filter that remove spikes values from the throttle.

After more tests, I noticed in FSUIPC that when I put levers in the notch (right-click set automatic power management on the ATR), the IN and OUT values of the throttle are both set to 10000.

If the OUT value matches the IN value then either FSUIPC hasn't been set to calibrate that axis (the bitton above still reads "SET"?), or you have pressed it (to say "Reset", but haven't done the calibration.

If you really do WANT an input value of 10000 to provide an output value of 0 then 10000 must either below the Minimum value Set (for a single throttle on page 1), or between the two Idle values (for the multiple throttles on page 3). Then FSUIPC will certainly change it!

It sounds as if you are simply not using FSUIPC as described.

Regards,

Pete