The simFlight Network Forums

Make 2 FS sessions "talk" through WideFS ?

Is it possible in anyway to get my joy button transferred to another FS session (on another computer) when connected in Multiplayer, via FSUIPC offsets, throught WideFS ore similar ?.

Just a hunch I got here...... had to ask, no matter how dumb my question is :):)

Any ideas Pete ?

Is it possible in anyway to get my joy button transferred to another FS session (on another computer) when connected in Multiplayer, via FSUIPC offsets, throught WideFS ore similar ?.

WideFS doesn't link one FS session to another. It links client PCs not running FS to a server PC which is. In that situation, FSUIPC on the FS PC will recognise any buttons pressed on any joysticks, EPIC devices and GoFlight modules connected to the client PCs running WideClient -- the latter sends them to WideServer inside FS and that talks to FSUIPC.

However, provided you are not going to be using WideClient to support application programs (using FSUIPC) on a client which is also running FS, you can set a parameter inside WideClient.INI to make it use an alternative Class name, in which case it will load and run even with FS running on the same PC. This may certainly allow you to do what you want to do.

Regards,

Pete

• 5 months later...

Ok... let me describe my "thought" scenario.

Two computers, both running FS2004 with latest FUIPC registered version installed.

On computer 1 I have an aircraft addon that supports epic offsets for all switches etc in the panel. All buttons and swithces are programmed to work using FSUIPC.

I want to "trick" the WideFs to send a FSUIPC offset to computer nr 2. Result wanted: pressing a epic programet button for e.g. gear, will produce a result on gear beeing retracted on both FS2004 sessions (computers).

Is this achievable in any circumstanses ?

Also studied teh FS communicator... maybe this tool will help me.. ?

Rgds

Freddy Wilhelmsen

I want to "trick" the WideFs to send a FSUIPC offset to computer nr 2. Result wanted: pressing a epic programet button for e.g. gear, will produce a result on gear beeing retracted on both FS2004 sessions (computers).

Is this achievable in any circumstanses ?

I did answer this substantially in my earlier reply last October!!?). Didn't you understand it?

If the buttons are programmed in EPIC ot look like standard joystick buttons, then WideClient ought to be able to see them just as well as FSUIPC. The joystick interface used is not "exclusive" -- i.e. it isn't one in which the joystick is grabbed as a resource by the program, so any program can see them.

So you just need to get WideClient running on the same PC as FS and your EPIC. To do that you have to tell WideClient to use a different Class Name, as I pointed out in my earlier reply.

If the other (non-EPIC) PC running FS is running WideServer and you get this WideClient connected to it, then the FSUIPC installed there should see the buttons as well.

Also studied teh FS communicator... maybe this tool will help me.. ?

No idea, sorry. But why are you ignoring the help I gave? Why ask if you don't use the answers?

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete!

Sorry for my appearant "ignorance", this was not the intention. :).

I recon the "classname" in wideclient.ini is described in the docs for widefs. I will take a look later today.

One more thing that I forgot to ask. Must Wideserver.dll reside in both FS2004 computers (modules folder) ?. In the INI running on the computer 2, i must put the IP for computer one to be able to connect, right ?..

Ok.. I will try this afternoon to se what the result are. Hopefully a tap on my joystick button will produse a result on both FS2004 sessions, and hopefully a tap on the second computers joystick button will do the exact same thing..

Thanx a lot Pete!

Freddy

I recon the "classname" in wideclient.ini is described in the docs for widefs. I will take a look later today.

Yes.

One more thing that I forgot to ask. Must Wideserver.dll reside in both FS2004 computers (modules folder) ?

No, only in the FS to which you wish to connect clients. WideServer has nothing to do if there are no clients connecting to it. If you do have more than one WideServer offering service then you will need to change the Port number in one of them (it defaults to 8002) and likewise in the clients which contact them.

In the INI running on the computer 2, i must put the IP for computer one to be able to connect, right ?

Not necessarily. If both PCs are using WinXP they should find each other automatically (with current WideFS releases). Otherwise the ServerName is usually a safer option than the IP address.

Ok.. I will try this afternoon to se what the result are. Hopefully a tap on my joystick button will produse a result on both FS2004 sessions, and hopefully a tap on the second computers joystick button will do the exact same thing..

Erare you now saying you have buttons connected to BOTH PCs which you want seen by both? i.e. a symmetrical arrangment? You didn't say that before -- you said the buttons involved were on an EPIC on one PC.

If you want symmetry, yes, you need WideServer on both, and WideClient on both, each of the latter with a classname change and one pair of Server-clients using a different Port.

Regards,

Pete

Thx a lot Pete!. Now its clearer for me :). You see my goal is somewhat complicated to explain here, hence my questions beeing somewhat diffuse. Guess from this point, I have to experiment some to see if I am successful.

Rgd the IP, i am thinking of trying to connect Wideclient to a server via internet, hence the IP question..

Rgds

Freddy.