The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS not connecting after month of doing fine

Hello Peter,

since two or three weeks WideFS is not connecting anymore. It worked fine for many many times before. I tried now searching for the problem several times but couldn't solve the problem.

May you have a look at my attached files (WideServer log and ini, Wide Client log and ini FSUIPC log and ini) to tell me if it is a problem with my network, although this works fine with other applications, or WideFS or FSUIPC. Thank you very much in advance.

Greetings

Ralf Stock

WideandFSUIPC.zip

since two or three weeks WideFS is not connecting anymore. It worked fine for many many times before.

What have you changed?

May you have a look at my attached files (WideServer log and ini, Wide Client log and ini FSUIPC log and ini) to tell me if it is a problem with my network, although this works fine with other applications, or WideFS or FSUIPC. Thank you very much in advance.

The only information which is of any use is:

28859 Server = RALFY

28859Okay, IP Address = 192.168.2.100

29922 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

This is from the Client. The Server never sees anything.

It seems that you have something blocking the access. Possibly a firewall? Have you installed some protection recently, or changed some settings?

The only other thing which is a little odd is that IP address. It is unusual to have a Subnet of 192.168.2.0 -- that third number is usually 0 or 1. Can you check that both PCs are on the same Subnet? i.e. that those three numbers are the same in both.

Regards,

Pete

What have you changed?

Actually I changed nothing, it happened while flying the "Cross the Pond" Event when suddenly the connection got lost (the connection of WideFS) in the mid of the Atlantic I shut down FS and after that Wide FS did not connect anymore.

But thank you for looking at my files just want to be sure that there is nothing strange with your products so I can focus now on my network settings. If I find the solution I will let you know.

Greetings

Ralf Stock

• 1 month later...

Now after a lot of work to get the solution, here are my frustrating results:

I installed WindowsXP completely new on my laptop and configured the network. Everything ok as I could exchange files between my laptop and my other computer.

I deleted the fsuipc.ini in the Modules folder of FS9 after installing FSUIPC 3.53 a few days ago. I installed WideFS 6.51 also completely new, saying that I downloaded the Zip-File from your page, installed WideClient.dll and .ini on my laptop and WideServer.dll and .ini in the Modules folder of FS9.

Now after three months of never connecting the connection happened as you can see in the attached WideClientLog0 and the WideServerLog0! I shut down WideClient first then tried to reconnect and again it did not connect as you can see in the attached ****1-Logs. So because the connection worked the first time I assume that it is not a problem with my network or with firewalls because the first time I forgot to disable the firewall (Norton). Several new connections, also with deleting every .ini file AND disabling the firewall resulted in the same "Waiting for connection" problem I experienced before.

I assume that it has to do with my FSUIPC and/or WideFS. Both are registered and when opening FSUIPC in FS9 it stated that both are registered.

May you take another look at my attached files and advise me if I should send you more files as for example the reg-keys of the products?

Greetings

Ralf Stock

WIDEFS.zip

May you take another look at my attached files and advise me if I should send you more files as for example the reg-keys of the products?

Reinstalling exactly the same copies of DLLs and EXEs would make no difference whatsoever unless you suspected data corruption on disk. If that is happening then you are in deep trouble in any case.

Reg keys are not relevant. It is either registered or it isn't as far as connection is concerned. Bad keys affect data, not connections.

The files attached show nothing at all as they are only of the Server. The Client Logs are more relevant surely?

Regards,

Pete

Yes of course sorry I attached the wrong zip-File here is the right one. As said the first time it worked after that not anymore.

Yes, there is certainly something blocking WideFS communications. I really don't know what to advise. You can get me more information if you like, which I will look at for sure, but I suspect it will all come down to a blocked connection.

For fully detailed Logs, set Log=DebugAll in the WideClient.ini and Log=Debug in the WideServer.ini. That will give me the most I know how to elicit from the system.

Regards,

Pete

• 1 month later...
The same has happend to me but just on one of the Wide Server PC's the other work as normal the only thing I have done is a windows update and the new Anti Vir 7.

29922 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

"Connection refused" sounds like a deliberate block. Probably the Windows update has automatically enabled Windows firewalling, or maybe it is included in your "Anti Vir 7" (?). You'll either need to disable that, or at least tell it (somehow) to allow programs you trust to talk to each other between your computers.

If you use a separate router on the Network for your Internet access the firewall it should provide should suffice -- I disable firewalls between my own PCs. They are nothing but a nuisance else.

Regards,

Pete

just to chip Pete, I too noted the IP address as unusual.

If a Router is being used, the router and associated computers must have their own IP addresses - e.g.

Router - 192.168.2.1

Computer 1 - 192.168.2.2

Computer 2 - 192.168.2.3

set permissions in the router (if required) to allow computers to talk to each other.

NORTON Internet Security

set permissions for your network to allow your computers to talk to each other

If the Norton firewall is being used, the Windows firewall should be disabled (generally this is done automatically when Norton is installed)

Running ZoneAlarm?

If using ZoneAlarm, set permissions for your network, again to allow your computers to talk to each other.

I had the same problems with WideFS but once I configured my Router, Norton and ZoneAlarm, all worked fine as it should.

It is often a simple setting (one easily missed) that causes the most upsets.

Edit: I have found, at times, that after an update for programs like ZoneAlarm, Webroots Window Washer and at times Norton, settings are mucked up and or deleted and it is necessary to re-set them all. A pain in the butt, but it does happen.

I have tried deactivating Firewall and Virus programme also tried changing settings, no luck up to now but what is strange I have no problems at all with third computer windows ME it connects as usual just the second computer windows XP is still being blocked by something (main computer). OK back to work again.

Hello Peter,

OK back to normal I found out that the WideFS computer for some reason had no IP address in the LAN network settings and the TCP/IP had vanished even though I had internet connection. reset the IP address and working perfectly again. I do not know what caused the computer to loose it's LAN TCP/IP settings but that is what caused the problem. :D :D