The simFlight Network Forums

Wind Gust or Turbulance makes me fall out of the sky :(

Pete,

You may have already fixed this in the new version of FSUIPC, the description of the changes has prompted me to ask anyway.

On several occasions while I'm under approach control (Radar Contact) and flying at around 180 knots, I've hit severe gusts or wind shifts, not necessarily turbulence.

Its so severe I normally stall i.e.. the wind is behind me or I break up. Either way I hit the ground hard!

I'm wondering if I've got a conflict between FSUIPC settings and FS Meteo - I have the turbulence option enabled in both.

Would the two settings double the effect perhaps?

Will the limit of 30 knots in the new version fix my problem?

On several occasions while I'm under approach control (Radar Contact) and flying at around 180 knots, I've hit severe gusts or wind shifts, not necessarily turbulence.

Its so severe I normally stall i.e.. the wind is behind me or I break up. Either way I hit the ground hard!

I'm wondering if I've got a conflict between FSUIPC settings and FS Meteo - I have the turbulence option enabled in both.

Would the two settings double the effect perhaps?

Surely you aren't asking FSUIPC to add random turbulence when using a weather program? You should leave it up to that. In any case, no, these things aren't additive.

If it is only on approach are you sure it isn't wake turbulence from the aircraft in front. I know ActiveSky has such an option. Maybe FSMeteo has to and it is enabled?

If you don't like the turbulence, why switch it on everywhere?

If it is a wind direction change, try using wind smoothing.

Will the limit of 30 knots in the new version fix my problem?

Very unlikely. That was for gusts, and I only added it because one Log from an FSMeteo user showed a gust of some many hundreds of knots. I think it derived from some bad data download and a signed/unsigned mismatch. The limit in FSUIPC is a safety precaution, that's all, and shouldn't be invoked in normal circumstances.

Regards,

Pete