The simFlight Network Forums

PTT button for 2nd networked computer

Algy

I am a relative beginner to networking, so excuse me if this question has been asked before.

I have registered versions of FSUIPC and WideFs

The main computer (XP) runs FS9 and the 2nd computer runs the voice client for FS9 (ATOC Voice module).

Ideally I would like PTT on the 2nd computer to be operated by a yoke button on the main computer.

i.e if I press an assigned button on the yoke this would simulate key F12 (for example) on the 2nd computer.

Can this be achieved?

Many thanks

Al

Ideally I would like PTT on the 2nd computer to be operated by a yoke button on the main computer.

i.e if I press an assigned button on the yoke this would simulate key F12 (for example) on the 2nd computer.

Can this be achieved?

Yes, you can do that, but it's a little complex to set it for keypresses. If your PTT is operating voice in Roger Wilco, or AVC, or Squawkbox 3, then simply assign the button to the PTT transmit on (when pressed) and off (when released). If you are using the latest FSUIPC and WideFS, the rest is taken care of for you. You don't need to use any special keypress.

Regards,

Pete

Pete

Thanks for the quick reply.

The voice client is neither RW/AVC/Squawkbox3 but ATOC voice module for the FPI network.

Any key on the 2nd machine can be assigned for PTT

Would it be possible, for example to include a routine, here, which I could cut and paste into the WideFs .INI file.

Any help appreciated.

Al

Would it be possible, for example to include a routine, here, which I could cut and paste into the WideFs .INI file.

No, sorry, there are no "routines".

First you assign a button in FSUIPC to send a KeySend. Just assign a parameter of any previously unused number -- if this is your first, why not 1?

In Wideclient.INI you assign KeySend01 to the keypress of your choice -- all the codes are clearly listed for you.

Everything else depends upon how your voice thingy works. If it has the keyboard focus all the time, then the simple assignment of a keypress to the KeySend should work. If not, there are various alternatives, ranging fr om directing the keypress to a specific Window Class (which would involve some assistance from the author I suspect), or, more simply, making sure the program is actually loaded by Wideclient in the first place and just telling Wideclient which loaded program to send it to.

There are a couple of variations which will only confuse you at this stage. All in all it is utterly and completely dependent on the target program.

But all these things are covered in the WideFS documentation in more detail than I'm likely to be able to go into here. This is why documentation is produced in the first place. ;-)

Regards

Pete

Anyway, must go a do a bit more reading

Okay, but try thingsyou can't do any damage. And then, if it doesn't work, come back with what you tried and we'll take it from there. It is much easier to help with specifics than a big amorphous unknown, which is what I see at present. There are too many things I don't know about the program you want to use and how it might be set up and worked. If it works fine by you pressing keys on its PC's keyboard, then the first, simplest, method I mentioned will be fine. Try it.

Regards,

Pete

Pete

I tried as you suggested and assigned (I thought) a button to emulate the F12 key (push/release) on the networked computer.

Nothing!

As you suggest it is probably highly software dependant, and therefore way beyond my scope.

In the end I settled for 'plan B' and hard wired a small PTT switch into the networked computer keyboard, and attaching same to the FS yoke.

Anyway, Pete, thanks again for your assistance and keep up the good work with your excellent software.

Regards

Al