The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS ?

I'm presently running FS2004 with a registered FSUIPC 3.53 module. My simulator files are housed on my (F:Drive 19.0GB) I would like to know if I can house WideFS on and empty drive, ie: D or E Drive (19.3GB) or must it be networked from another computer. I hope that my question is clear to you. Thanks for your help.

iwalker

I'm presently running FS2004 with a registered FSUIPC 3.53 module. My simulator files are housed on my (F:Drive 19.0GB) I would like to know if I can house WideFS on and empty drive, ie: D or E Drive (19.3GB)

No. There's no point in using WideFS within one computer, because its sole function is to link FSUIPC applications to a copy of FS running on another computer.

All your FSUIPC applications will see FSUIPC with FS running on the same computer in any case. What is there for WideFS to do in such a case? What are you trying to achieve?

Regards

Pete

Currently my (F:Drive) is almost full, so I cannot add additional addons to my simulator. I was thinking that this would would be away to getting around this issue so that I can run additional programs and addons. Does this make sense to you?

Currently my (F:Drive) is almost full, so I cannot add additional addons to my simulator. I was thinking that this would would be away to getting around this issue so that I can run additional programs and addons. Does this make sense to you?

No! You can install additional programs on any hard drive you like. Simply do not accept the installation path suggested by the installer. I have FS installed on my "E" drive, for example, which is a partition on my 2nd hard drive. Most of my larger scenery installs are on another drive altogether.

There is no restriction on installing programs and data whilst you have space somewhere on your system. It is actually inadvisable to install larger applications on your main system drive (normally "C:") as each install tends to want to add something to the registry and sometimes some drivers and DLLs to Windows, so you always need space there.

Do not just allow all FS add-ons to install themselves inside your FS folder.

Regards,

Pete

WideFS wouldn't help you at all. As Pete said, its sole purpose is to make an add-on program running on a different computer think that MSFS is actually running on that computer.

Most add-on programs should be able to be installed onto a spare drive in your single computer and run quite happily. A few require .dll modules to be added into a certain directory within the MSFS directory tree, but to be honest, if the drive that MSFS is on is SO full that there's no room for .dll files even, then your MSFS will be running like garbage anyway - programs use areas of the hard drive to 'park' data while running.

Maybe you need to move some stuff off your "F" drive onto the spare drive and make more room on the main one.