The simFlight Network Forums

Installing WideFS

Hi All,

I have no knowledge on LAN. I intend to buy a new computer for MSFS and use the old computer for FS apllications. I just purchased wideFS and FSUIPC. Is there any tutorial about how to set up 2 computers and make use the wideFS ? I mean, what hardware do I need to link the two computers ? Any special things to set up in WindowsXP ? Which programs to install first, WideClient or FS application programs ? Should I connect the internet to the client computer, or the host computer, or both, if the application programs need to download data from internet ? I read the wideFS and FSUIPC document but somehow could not find the answers. Can anyone give me some help on this ?

Daniel :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Is there any tutorial about how to set up 2 computers and make use the wideFS ?

Windows Help and documentation. If both PCs are running Windows XP, then it should be pretty easy. I wouldn't be able to tutor anyone on Netwroks as I know little, I just let Windows do what it needs to do.

The only thing you may need to do for WideFS is to turn the Windows XP firewall off, or at least do something to let WideClient (on the client PC) talk to WideServer (on the FS PC). But this applies equally to any program using the Network for anything.

I mean, what hardware do I need to link the two computers ?

An Ethernet twisted cable for Ethernet connection, or a USB 2.0 cable if you want to connect via USB, or a Firewire cable if you want to connect using Firewire (IEEE 1394). I think links also work with serail and parallel cables, but avoid those as it will be clunky and too slow. Windows supports many ways of linking PCs.

Which programs to install first, WideClient or FS application programs ?

Doesn't matter. WideClient doesn't need much installing in any case.

Should I connect the internet to the client computer, or the host computer, or both, if the application programs need to download data from internet ?

Depends if you want FS to download things from the Internet too. Whichever it is connected to, Windows can share it over the Network in any case. See Windows help.

It would really be better (safer too, from attacks over the Internet) to replace your modem with a modem/router, and connect both PCs to that. Then both PCs have Internet access even if the other is switched off. Ethernet links are best for this.

I read the wideFS and FSUIPC document but somehow could not find the answers.

That's because it isn't either WideFS's nor FSUIPC's business to make Networks work. That's all in the realms of Windows. Look in your local bookshop. There are hundreds of books about this -- you surely don't really think that every program which uses a working Network should tell you about Networks? It just really isn't feasible, even if I knew it all, which I most certainly don't.

Please, get your Network working as per Micrsoft instructions, then and only then buy and install WideFs.

Regards,

Pete