The simFlight Network Forums

Advdisplay and small pauses

Hi

I have today set up RC4 over a widefs network,all was running well until I realised i needed to install advdisplay. After I have installed this module I am getting little stutters every 15-17 seconds regardless of location etc etc.Have i missed something in the installation? I also added the showtext program so i could get the window off from the main fsim PC.I dont think it is a performance issue with my hardware as it was all running smoothly before!

Any ideas help would be welcome

thanks keith

I have today set up RC4 over a widefs network,all was running well until I realised i needed to install advdisplay. After I have installed this module I am getting little stutters every 15-17 seconds regardless of location etc etc.Have i missed something in the installation? I also added the showtext program so i could get the window off from the main fsim PC.

There's nothing extra being done with AdvDisplay running. There's no measurable impact on performance whatsoever, and the 15-17 second cycle doesn't seem to relate to anything any of my programs does.

One of the commonest cause of stutters with Networks is having the Network set to automatically assign the IP addresses to your PCs. If you set fixed IP addresses manually for each PC (and router if you are using one) then Windows won't periodically go out searching for connections.

In any case there is most certainly no need to actually have the AdvDisplay window enabled if you are using ShowText on your other PC. Simply right-click on the Advdisplay window, make sure you have The "multiline" option selected, then also select "hide always". The program will run in the background and simply pass on the data to ShowText.

Regards,

Pete