The simFlight Network Forums

Support for .NET

Pete,

.Net is becoming a serious platform.

The free downloadable express editions enable a lot of people to start on programming or pick-up programming again.

The .Net "common language runtime" provides a foundation for language interoperability. Because all .Net languages can follow the common type system rules, the usage of types can be consistent across languages.

Would you consider to make a .NET DLL containing FSUIPC_Open, FSUIPC_Read, FSUIPC_Write, FSUIPC_WriteS, FSUIPC_Process, FSUIPC_Close ?

You can write and maitain it in "C" but every one who wants to use an other .Net language can also use it.

For you this probably is not a major step, but it would be a giant leap for us .Net "hobby" programmers :D

Regards, Herman.

.Net is becoming a serious platform.

MS Visual Studio? I use 2003 .Net, not got around to upgrading to 2005 yet. Of course I only use the C and ASM compiler parts of it.

Would you consider to make a .NET DLL containing FSUIPC_Open, FSUIPC_Read, FSUIPC_Write, FSUIPC_WriteS, FSUIPC_Process, FSUIPC_Close ?

I supply all the source for the interface to FSUIPC. That's all free public domain stuff. I only deal with the inside of the interface, FSUIPC itself. If anyone wants to make an interface DLL they are quite welcome, and I'll add it to the SDK if they like -- most of it is from contributions already. But the code is so small it always seemed to me more efficient to build it directly into the object program.

Regards

Pete

The SDK supplies pretty good implemetations of those methods. Look in the C# example.

You have to do a bit of research on the C# types that are returned, since nearly everything is return as an int. I'm happy to give examples of a clean way to process them.

Cheers,

Matt.

I have a dll which contains all my interfacing to FSUIPC - it is for VS2005 (written in VB but should be fine for other .NET languages.) The DLL contains other stuff like navigational maths and provides properties to most of the common FS variables for reading. It is not well documented but if you would be interested in looking at it then let me know. It would only be available for freeware or personal use. You can contact me at jon [AT] scruffyduck.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too have my own custom dll built on the vb.net sdk. Ive added some additional routines to handle more data types among other things.

One particular feature added in .Net 2 is full unsigned integer support which was desperatly required.

.Net is a easy language that works very well, my program 3wire is written in .net and has been quite successful.