The simFlight Network Forums

I am told this should be possible

Dear Peter and distinguished forum users,

faint echoes among more knowledgeable people than I seem to indicate that what I am trying to do should be possible using FSUIPC.... yet I cannot find where to start. Maybe someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

I am on a network on which MSFS is running on someone else's computer - the 'master' copy, if you will.

On my computer, on an application I wrote, I need to know the aircraft position and orientation in as close to real time as possible. Where would I start looking in the FSUIPC docs (which I did scan, but could not find something that seemed applicable to this particular need) for how to receive this information (code snippets would of course be wonderful - I program in C on Visual Studio)?

Further, I need to run flight sim on another commputer on the network. This copy needs to do exactly what the 'master' copy does, except I want to be able to run during daytime and clear weather all the time, regardless of the time of day and weather of the 'master' copy. Again, is this possible and if so, can someone point me to where I might start looking?

Thanks very much indeed.

FSUIPC interfaces with MSFS on the same computer. In order to read the position information from a copy of MSFS running on a different computer you need to have a program called WideFS.

You install WideFS on both computers, then you can call FSUIPC from the computer on which MSFS is *not* running.

The code examples in the FSUIPC SDK show you how to write an example app that reads offset values from MSFS - either directly or over WideFS makes no difference.

Then, to have a second version of MSFS "mirror" the first, tou can use an FSUIPC "write" to put the position info into that version.

Richard

... seem to indicate that what I am trying to do should be possible using FSUIPC.... yet I cannot find where to start. Maybe someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Have you gone to the site where all my software is downloadable and looked for the Software Development Kit (SDK)?

On my computer, on an application I wrote, I need to know the aircraft position and orientation in as close to real time as possible. Where would I start looking in the FSUIPC docs (which I did scan, but could not find something that seemed applicable to this particular need) for how to receive this information (code snippets would of course be wonderful - I program in C on Visual Studio)?

The SDK has all the information and examples. That is what it is for! Seems you've not looked far yet?

Further, I need to run flight sim on another commputer on the network. This copy needs to do exactly what the 'master' copy does, except I want to be able to run during daytime and clear weather all the time, regardless of the time of day and weather of the 'master' copy. Again, is this possible and if so, can someone point me to where I might start looking?

Maybe FS's own multiplayer or WidevieW could do that. Neither FSUIPC nor WideFS can link two copies of FS together.

Regards

Pete