The simFlight Network Forums

Rudder drifts to Left even after calibration

with or without FSUIPC 353 on my FS9, making the plane yaw like crazy with autopilot and hard to handle on final and taxiing. If I hit the right CH prods USB rudder pedal it realigns for 10-60 secs then drifts to the left over and over again. When I calibrate from the game or control panel the rotation axis will drift also. When I look at FSUIPC after it drifts the numbers that should be 0 are up around 7800, if I tap the right rudder pedal it goes back to 2 0's but in 10-60 secs, back to 7800! Ahh. This has been happening for a long time but worse at times. Any ideas to stop this appreciated. Thank you.

Win XP SP2, 2.4 ghz, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA 6800GT

with or without FSUIPC 353 on my FS9, making the plane yaw like crazy with autopilot and hard to handle on final and taxiing. If I hit the right CH prods USB rudder pedal it realigns for 10-60 secs then drifts to the left over and over again. When I calibrate from the game or control panel the rotation axis will drift also. When I look at FSUIPC after it drifts the numbers that should be 0 are up around 7800, if I tap the right rudder pedal it goes back to 2 0's but in 10-60 secs, back to 7800! Ahh. This has been happening for a long time but worse at times.

Sounds like a faulty unit. You need a hardware repair I suspect. No way will the software make pot values drift all the time. Maybe it is something easy like the pot in the unit come adrift from its mounting and twisting.

BTW version 3.53 of FSUIPC is very old now and is not supported.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete. I downloaded and installed and worked with FSUIPC 3600 this morning. Very nice! Also downloaded the control manager from CH prods and calibrated the pedals with that. Big difference, calibrates just a bit to right, but plane stays straight now! I also deleted all joystick assignments in FS9 to use the new FSUIPC, works great but how do I decrease the "sensitivity" of the aileron, elevator and rudder now? Or am I not asking the right question, with just slight movements of the yoke I get very big swings in the aircraft with aileron and elevator especially, is there a way to make that more realistic? Thanks. Have a great day!

Doc

Commercial IFR

... how do I decrease the "sensitivity" of the aileron, elevator and rudder now? Or am I not asking the right question, with just slight movements of the yoke I get very big swings in the aircraft with aileron and elevator especially, is there a way to make that more realistic?

Once calibrated correctly in FSUIPC (with a stable centre zone), just use the slope selection facilities. These allow you to flatten the central response (less sensitive) whilst maing the extremes more sensitive so you can still achieve full deflection. Slopes in the opposite direction do the reverse.

Please check the documentation. There is even a picture showing a typical slope with a flattened centre.

Pete

Thank you! Didn't read down far enough! Is the "pot" something I could check without ruining the unit do you think? Is it obvious what it is or should I just get a new set, it still drifts now and then, but not always, just enough to make me crazy!! Take care.

Doc

I advise you to visit the forums at http://www.ch-hangar.com. It is dedicated to CH-products and you may get a complete answer there. They are also very friendly folks.

One thing that might help is checking whether the problem is in flightsim or the rudders. Is the drifting only noticable in other simulations or games? There are some settings in Flightsimulator that can make it seem like the rudder is drifting.

Also a word of warning: opening the rudders to check the potmeters will probably void the warranty.

Allard.