The simFlight Network Forums

Engine params read only

Hi Pete,

well, I am writing a programm in C++ which has to be capable to change some engine parameters like N1 and EGT. At the moment I simply adjust the thrust lever positions, as I found the N1 and EGT offsets to be read only...is there a way I can adjust these values without touching thrust levers? Thanks in advance and for your great interface!

well, I am writing a programm in C++ which has to be capable to change some engine parameters like N1 and EGT. At the moment I simply adjust the thrust lever positions, as I found the N1 and EGT offsets to be read only.

Yes, most of the engine parameters are the RESULTS of simulation, not the CAUSES. You don't "cause" things to happen by controlling N1, but by using the throttle, as you've found. The same goes for most things -- there are several causes and many effects. I'm not sure how a decent simulation could be written by allowing all the effects to be arbitrarily set irrespective of inputs -- what happens, for instance, if you set an N1 value far less or far greater than the current fuel burn warrants and, and what then of the other results? Do you expect more or less thrust as a result, with the same fuel flow? You must see the contradictions.

There are variables further up -- e.g. 2010 and 2018 for Engine 1 N1 and N2 -- which MAY have an effect, but usually this would only last one frame, i.e. until the sim engine has completed the next computation cycle and written new values. Whether they have an after-effect is doubtful. You might be able to manipulate it more by putting the Sim into zero rate or pause modes, but then you'd have to do everything, including moving the aircraft etc.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

wow...that was fast :o ! Thanks for your reply! I thought of something similar. At the moment, I am writing something I call "Realism Modul". There is one braking part which, if visible moisture is present, reduces braking strength for left and right wheels different (also strength of precipitation plays a role).

But as you said in another post, I can't do that for PMDG aircraft as they use their own dumb braking thing :x .

The second module simulates Engine Icing if icing conditions exists and Engine Icing is not used. The engines will start loosing power after a certain time and will finally fail. There, I move the thrust levers to simulate an effect.

But, e.g. the PSS Airbusses' Engine Anti Ice switches doesn't seem to have any effect (dummies). So I had to program "real" switches, too which actually change the FS Anti Ice settings :roll: .

Do you now, if there is any possibility to check, wether Wing Anti Ice is used as I didn't find it in the docs...and if not, do you think it might be possible to check a Wing Anti Ice gauge's state (I programmed) via FSUIPC to see if the pilot uses wing Anti Ice or not?

Do you now, if there is any possibility to check, wether Wing Anti Ice is used as I didn't find it in the docs...and if not, do you think it might be possible to check a Wing Anti Ice gauge's state (I programmed) via FSUIPC to see if the pilot uses wing Anti Ice or not?

If it isn't mentioned, I don't know about it. There is this in my document:

337D

Structural de-ice switch, (1 = on, 0 = off), read for state, write to control [FS2002+]. Although this is documented in both FS2002 and FS2004 panel SDKs, with a token value and an FS control, it appears to do nothing. Possibly it needs some action in the AIR file or Aircraft.CFG, but there’s nothing in the official documentation.

But as it says I don't know whether it actually does anything.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I found out that it is actually possible to write directly to the N1 offsets (2000,2100,2200,2300) but that you have to do it for a larger time period to not let the flightsimulator change them. Now, I got the result I wanted, changing/strange N1 values to simulate engine icing :P ...great!