The simFlight Network Forums

Rudder Pedal Releases Parking Brake

Pete, this isn't an FSUIPC issue (or at least I don't think it is) but I figured I'd ask you about this since you have so much interaction with sticks, rudders and the like:

I've started needing to pay attention to the state of the parking brake and, for the first time, I realize that the rudder pedals disengage the parking brake if I move them at all.

Is anyone aware of a way to keep that from happening? Is there a setting for the Parking Brake to have it stick until I release it or is there an FSUIPC setting for that?

I'm tired of finding my plane in the side of a building when I get back from a quick drink run simply because I tapped a pedal while heading out.

I really don't understand this behavior and others have posted back on another forum that they too are having this problem.

Any ideas?

I've started needing to pay attention to the state of the parking brake and, for the first time, I realize that the rudder pedals disengage the parking brake if I move them at all.

You don't say what pedals they are, but it won't be the rudder control itself, but the toe brakes on the pedals. Assuming they are analogue brakes, using the Axis brake controls, you need to calibrate them correctly with an adequate null zone (i.e. leeway for slight pressure).

It they are digital brakes (i.e. basically on/off buttons) then you may have them reversed, but generally such toe brakes shouldn't be a problem.

Is anyone aware of a way to keep that from happening? Is there a setting for the Parking Brake to have it stick until I release it or is there an FSUIPC setting for that?

Operating the toe brakes releases the parking brake on many implementations because it sends the controls to tell FS to do so. You need to sort the toe brake assignments and/or calibration out, or simply avoid pressing on the top part of the rudder pedals when moving the rudders -- for realistically sized rudder pedals keeping your heels on the floor is normally safe enough to avoid toe brake depression.

Regards,

Pete

Wow, thanks a bunch. These are the CH Products Pro Pedals. I believe that makes them analog pedals? However as they're USB maybe that makes them digital? That one I really don't know.

I also don't use their CH Manager software. Previously it's just gotten in the way. Have I finally found a reason to force me to use it?

Wow, thanks a bunch. These are the CH Products Pro Pedals. I believe that makes them analog pedals? However as they're USB maybe that makes them digital? That one I really don't know.

No, they are analogue brakes. You have two position-sensitive brake axes, one left and one right. You need to calibrate them either in Windows or in FSUIPC, and go to FS Options-Controls and ensure that the sensitivity is at maximum (slider right) and then adjust the null zone to stop the brakes coming on too easily. Alternatively set the null zone full off (left) and use FSUIPC to set a dead zone.

Test the brake axes too -- they may be reversed (ie. on when released, off when pushed). You can reverse them in FS or in FSUIPC.

I also don't use their CH Manager software. Previously it's just gotten in the way. Have I finally found a reason to force me to use it?

No, you don't need to.

Regards

Pete