The simFlight Network Forums

Stutters

Hi folks,

I have a little irritation problem in FS2004.

I'm using FSmetar. When FSmetar changes wheater, view starts stutter.

I did everything like Pete said. But problem still appears.

It means, I have:

AGP incompatibility in the video driver or the motherboard AGP minidriver (e.g. the “4-in-1” drivers on VIA motherboards).

What is going on? Where can I find solutions?

Please Help

I have a little irritation problem in FS2004.

I'm using FSmetar. When FSmetar changes wheater, view start stutter.

Yes, it can be quite a problem in FS2004 when the weather is updated, unless quite complicated precautions are taken. The authors of programs like ActiveSky and FSMeteo have gone to great pains to organise the weather updates so this either doesn't happen at all, or is rarely noticeable. It involves populating only weather stations far enough away from the aircraft (after the initial weather has been set), and also supplying the weather in batches with subsequent activation (thus only risking one stutter at most) rather than executing all the weather changes as submitted, which creates a whole series of stutters, especially when they affect clouds in view.

AGP incompatibility in the video driver or the motherboard AGP minidriver (e.g. the “4-in-1” drivers on VIA motherboards).

Who's Pete Dawson? ;-)

FSMetar was, I think, written for FS2002. Has it been updated to deal with FS2004 and its more complex localised weather?

The only thing I can suggest on top of what has already been suggested is to reduce cloud density quite a bit, restrict them to one layer (if the option is there), and try to replace your cloud textures with the lower resolution ones available.

Regards,

Pete

Who's Pete Dawson?

I'm so sorry. I wrote message late night, I was tired, frustrated, confused how FSmetar worked... and I couldn't concentrate :?

I really apologize. My fault.

The only thing I can suggest on top of what has already been suggested is to reduce cloud density quite a bit, restrict them to one layer (if the option is there), and try to replace your cloud textures with the lower resolution ones available.

I already did it. But problem still appears and it doesn't matter I have clouds or not. Every time when FSmetar changes wheater view starts stutter :cry: .

The authors of programs like ActiveSky

Yeah.. I'm thinking about AS6 but I do not want spend 50$ and have same problem.

I believe that you can also get a pause/stutter if you have "Pause on task Switch" is ticked under "settings - General".

:? I'll try...

BTW

Thank you guys.

Pete, You do very good job. Thank you for FSUIPC

I already did it. But problem still appears and it doesn't matter I have clouds or not. Every time when FSmetar changes wheater view starts stutter

Hmm -- stutters with no clouds? In that case I should think the problem is one of your PC. Are you running FSMetar on the same PC as FS? I assume it is getting weather from the Internet? What sort of Internet connection are you using?

When I used to have a slow internet connection and a slower PC I used to dowload the whole weather (using FSMeteo) before I started flying, and then let it use that with no updating off the internet. These days I run ActiveSky on a separate PC via WideFS.

Maybe it is just that your PC cannot cope? What is it?

Regards,

Pete

In that case I should think the problem is one of your PC.

Exactly! I just thought about same. It's reason way I asked You about AGP incompatibility (I found this information in FSUIPC User Guide).

But I do not know where can I find solutions?

Are you running FSMetar on the same PC as FS? I assume it is getting weather from the Internet?

1. Yes

2. Yes

What sort of Internet connection are you using?

AT&T Hi Speed DSL

When I used to have a slow internet connection and a slower PC I used to dowload the whole weather (using FSMeteo) before I started flying, and then let it use that with no updating off the internet. These days I run ActiveSky on a separate PC via WideFS.

Hm... I have good computer (I think...) 3.4GHz, ATI PCI-Express Video Card 256 MB, 1GB RAM

Today I made test. I used to FS real weather (updated). Clouds 100%.

No problem with FPS, No problem with stutter... I do not uderstand.

I wanted test Weather Maker Pro but I do not know how export weather to FS9. It is demo version end it's mayby not complete, and doesn't work correctly. If there is no problem with suttering it means that only FSmetar is a piece of sh#@%$*^t

The best way is buy ActiveSky6 and check what happend, but I'm afraid I'll have same problem. Unfortunetly AS6 doesn't have demo version... :?

Maybe it is just that your PC cannot cope? What is it?

Maybe...

I don't know what is it...

I don't know what is it...

It is actually beginning to sound more to do with FSMetar's weather update methods. Your PC certainly sounds okay. Can you find a Forum where other FSMetar users gather? Maybe you can compare notes. I'm afraid I just don't know the program. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete

Can you find a Forum where other FSMetar users gather?

Belive me, I did. Link in manual not responses... :evil:

BTW

Yesterday I found error.

FS changed clear weather to user definer. It was A problem.

Now everything is working correctly.

Cloud distance -> 70 miles :twisted:

Clouds -> 100% :twisted:

FPS 22 - 25 (locked 25/sec) :twisted:

NO MORE STUTTER :P :P :P

Yesterday I found error.

FS changed clear weather to user definer. It was A problem.

FS weather should always be "user defined" if it is being set by an external program. In fact just the act of setting it externally makes it user defined.

NO MORE STUTTER :P :P :P

Sorry, I don't understand what you have changed.

Pete

FS weather should always be "user defined" if it is being set by an external program.

I think so.

I don't understand what you have changed.

In FS -> from "user defined" to clear

In FSUIPC -> turn off weather

Hmmm .In my experience the FS weather always spontaneously changes to "user defined" when any external program tries to do anything with it. In fact it was one of the (unexpected) problems with some of the global weather filter options in FSUIPC.

Regards,

Pete

OK. I'm after next test. Bad news;

FS weather always spontaneously changes to "user defined" when any external program tries to do anything with it.

Unfortunetly You right :?

If I have set "weather off" in FSUIPC, everything is ok, I mean; no stutter.

Whatever I change in "clouds", "visibility", "winds", view starts stutter. :?