The simFlight Network Forums

UDP problems?

Hi Pete,

A few weeks ago I switched from TCP to UDP in my two PC flight simulator.

At my non-FS9 PC I run the following programs: ASV6, Squawkbox and Fuel Loader.

After switching to UDP ASV6 and Fuel Loader still worked fine but Squawkbox sometimes could not detect FSUIPC, after trying again it most of the times worked ok.

However, yesterday I replaced that pc by a much fatser machine (say 5 times faster). What happened:

ASV6 keeps working fine but Squawkbox and Fuel Loader can no longer detect FSUIPC...

I switched back to TCP and all worked fine...

It looks as if there are some timing issues. Are there any parameters I may have missed setting?

Your advise would be most welcome.

Regards,

Nico Kaan

I switched back to TCP and all worked fine...

It looks as if there are some timing issues. Are there any parameters I may have missed setting?

No. Don't fiddle with any WideFS parameters, they've all been optimised over a long time. I only still have the parameters for testing purposes.

Are there two or more possible routes betweenn any of your machines? Is it daisy-chained, like a firewire link, or a star network with a hub or switch? If its a hub I'd strongly recommend changing to a switch.

Have you looked at any of the WideFS logs to see if there are errors reported?

UDP is not guaranteed nor checked. It's super for distributing data which is changing all the time, such as keeping gauges running (eg on Project Magenta's PFD or ND), as if some frames are missing now and then it doesn't matter so much because the next will be along soon.

Even so, having said that, I have it working fine on my 8 PC Network but *only* after changing from a firewire daisy chain (400 mbps) to a standard 100 mbps switched star network.

If it is too much pain using UDP and finding what the problem is, stick to TCP or even try SPX. Both of those are fully checked and "guaranteed". It is for these reasons I always avoided moving to UDP, even though FS multiplayer does use it. I only added it when I found out how easy it was to implement, so thought it worth a try! ;-)

Regards,

Pete

Are there two or more possible routes betweenn any of your machines?

No, there's just one hub in between.

Have you looked at any of the WideFS logs to see if there are errors reported?

Yes, time out errors ...

Well, but I'll buy your advice and stay with TCP.

Thanks,