The simFlight Network Forums

big flight controll lag with fsuipc 4.1

In FSX after installing FSUIPC 4.1 all joystick axis have a 2-5 second lag making aircraft unflyable elevator, aileron, rudder and throttle. All buttons work however. I have tryed everything to no avail. When I remove the .dll from the modules directory everything works fine. I tryed re downloading and reinstalling again after removing the old .dll and still the same thing. When I go into the calibration in fs all axis work like they should. I figured that if I payed for regestration and got the full version working there would be a setting I could magically check to make it work (doesnt make much sense but i was planning on buying it anyway because it was so great in fs9) however now the key the flightsim.com gave me is invalid!! which is my second problem (filled out a trouble ticket and hopefully i'll get that one resolved soon from them or maybe you).

Thanx in advance

In FSX after installing FSUIPC 4.1 all joystick axis have a 2-5 second lag making aircraft unflyable elevator, aileron, rudder and throttle.

How strange. There's really nothing in FSUIPC4 which could do that. It sounds like something is wrong in the link between SimConnect and FSX -- it uses TCP/IP.

Possibly you have some third party firewall or virus checking which is interfering with the passage of this data? Could you check, and maybe temporarily disable all that, as a test?

If this is happening then I'm afraid only Microsoft can fix it. After you confirm or otherwise I will write to the appropriate person in the FSX team, but I would also ask you to send a report to tell_fs@microsoft.com. That was it gets lodged properly.

however now the key the flightsim.com gave me is invalid!! which is my second problem (filled out a trouble ticket and hopefully i'll get that one resolved soon from them or maybe you).

What key from flightsim.com? They don't supply keys. Have you purchased a new one for FSUIPC4? Let me see: Marc Lynn?

Yes, your key works fine. They are generated and sent automatically, so there's not likely to be any mistake. The only key problem was with FSUIPC4 version 4.00. You say you have 4.1, but tht doesn't exist yet -- so can you re-check the version please? Go to the FSX Modules folder, right clcik on FSUIPC4.DLL, select Properties -- Version, and read the EXACT version.

Thanks.

Either way, registering FSUIPC4 won't fix this delay you are getting -- assuming you are running 4.01 or 4.011 then that is something in FSX's SimConnect on your specific system.

Regards

Pete

Thanx for the fast reply Pete,

I meant version 4.0.1, anyway the latest, my mistake. I could have sworn I rechecked and typed the key in at least 20 million times but it only worked after I finally cut and pasted it into the boxes, funny. I'm registered now.

Anyway, back to the real problem with the controll lag. I disabled all my internet security, firewall and antivirus and to no avail. I make a controll input and then nothing happens for about 5 to 30 seconds and then the input happens whithin the sim. When I disable FSUIPC by moving the .dll out of the modules folder all is well again. I cant help but think it has something to do with the joystick axis in FSUIPC but I just cant figure it out. I have your preveouse versions in fs9 with no problems and have only used it for weather features and have never played around with the button programming or other controlls features before so its all guess work to me at this point.

I will send a report to microsoft but i have a sneaky suspicion that because no one else has seemed to have this problem "yet" that it is something with my setup. Your program is the foundation to a better flight sim so I must fix this before I can move on.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanx

Denver @ Fuel Selectors Inc.

I make a controll input and then nothing happens for about 5 to 30 seconds and then the input happens whithin the sim.

5 to 30 seconds!!!!? Where are those values going?

When I disable FSUIPC by moving the .dll out of the modules folder all is well again.

With FSUIPC4 installed all axis events, are routed through it. This allows FSUIPC to calibrate them on request and, yes, optionally delay then -- but only up to about a second and then that not only requires joystick calibration but also subsequent editing of paramters in the INI file -- it was an addition requested by someone doing a particular aircraft or helo which had a delayed response in reality.

In your case something is certainly very very odd. The fact that it happens without you even registering the program means that absolutely no options are being applied, merely the interception and pass through.

It certainly sounds like some sort of horrible queue is being built up in the TCP/IP stack used by SimConnect. I'll send a note to Microsoft, but please also report it as I suggested.

Anyone else have this problem?

Not reported to me, no.

In case it is needed could you tell me exactly what Windows version you are using (XP SP2 I assume) and whether it is fully updated? If not, could you try running Windows Update?

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

I am running SP2 auto updates, all current everything.

I will send a report to microsoft.

It certainly sounds like some sort of horrible queue is being built up in the TCP/IP stack used by SimConnect. I'll send a note to Microsoft, but please also report it as I suggested.

Is there anyway to work around this for now. I dont really understand this whole simconnect thing. It sounds like everything i do inside of fsx through fsuipc has to go through some server? Simconnect?

By the way I tried enabling all my disabled startup items, rebooting, shutting down firewall and antivirus, staring FSX and the lag was almost gone alowing me to takeoff, but then it came back slowly with varying short delay times untill it got so bad that I lost controll and crashed into Brooklin. It seems to vary greatly like there is something going on externally like that, that may be interfeering.

Thanx

Denver

Hi Denver, Pete

I’m having the same problem with version 4.011

I have Fsupic full version.

Intel Pentium 4

CPU 3.60GHz

2.00 Go de RAM

Asus P5WD2 Premium

Leadtek WinFast PX6800 TD GeForce 6800 256Mo PCIe

XP SP2 auto updates

Joystick Saitek Cyborg evo Force Feedback

McAfee Security Center

I am running SP2 auto updates, all current everything.

No clues there then. Shame.

Is there anyway to work around this for now.

I'll make a version with an option (in the INI file only) to avoid interception of the axis controls entirely. This would mean that you couldn't use the Joystick Calibration part of FSUIPC4 for FS axis controls.

However, if you still wanted to use FSUIPC's joystick calibration you could disable the axes in FS and assign them in FSUIPC's Axis Assignments, selecting the "direct to fSUIPC" option so that those get calibrated. So in the end you get no loss of function, simply something a bit more complicated.

I'll do this version and email you a copy to try, before I release anything officially.

I dont really understand this whole simconnect thing. It sounds like everything i do inside of fsx through fsuipc has to go through some server? Simconnect?

Simconnect is Microsoft's interface for anthing which wants to interface to FS. It really replaced FSUIPC in a way -- new applications will be coming out which use it directly rather than go through FSUIPC. Consider FSUIPC4 and wideFS7 as a compatibility layer -- to enable folks to transfer their FS2004 (and earlier) applications to FSX right now.

Oddly, Simconnect itself, although running inside the FSX process (just like FSUIPC), doesn't interface to it directly, but talks to it via the Internet protocols (TCP/IP -- in fact I believe it uses UDP, part of the TCP/IP installed software). I think it must be there that these delays are occurring.

By the way I tried enabling all my disabled startup items, rebooting, shutting down firewall and antivirus, staring FSX and the lag was almost gone alowing me to takeoff, but then it came back slowly with varying short delay times untill it got so bad that I lost controll and crashed into Brooklin. It seems to vary greatly like there is something going on externally like that, that may be interfeering.

Or like queuing on a busy highway? I think queuing must be the problem, though why you should get any is bewildering. Anyway, I'll pass on this extra information to Microsoft.

I'll send something later today for you to try.

Regards,

Pete

Are either of you using McAfee antivirus?

I've just seen information elsewhere that McAfee 10 (at least) somehow stops SimConnect from working -- whether its checking is enabled or not. Something to do with the actual McAfee installed files I assume.

Please let me know!

Pete

Yes I do have McAfee antivirus, and just turn everything (firewall… ) off when using FSUIPC4.

I'm looking for more data on the report I've seen, but it looks like the antivirus hooks it installs may be interfering with SimConnect. It is also possible that even with the options turned off it still is a problem.

Obviously this looks like something which will have to be fixed in the SimConnect side, but that could take a while. Meanwhile, if it is possible for you to do without too much trouble, and if, indeed, you have tried with absolutely everything in McAfee turned off, would you consider uninstalling it completely and re-testing? This would at least prove one way or the other so that a correction can be sought quicker.

I would completely understand if this is too much to ask, but I would hope that you could return to the position you are in now with a re-install afterwards, amd of course an update across the Internet.

You never know, a re-install may place the hooks differently and circumvent the problem.

Thank you. I am currently waiting for the U.S. West Coast to wake up in the hope that I may get some replies soon!

Regards

Pete

This thread over at http://www.avsim.com may help explain possible problems with just switching off McAfee; look at the post by Neslesman.

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=656&page=4

I remember Norton Security gave a lot of people problems and the only way to test it was Norton was to uninstall it, switching it off still left some processes running.

If you do ditch McAfee Alen+1 consider using AVG, many have used it with no, or minimal impact on their system.

Good luck in your quest.

Okay I'm back

Yes indeed, I uninstalled Charter inernet security and FSX worked perfectly with fsuipc. Its the anti virus. Then I reinstalled charter, rebooted 2 times and the problem is now back again. I will probably wait to see if you can release a version that circumvents the axis or maby I'll try AVG as per the sugestion. I am paranoid about internet security however and hate to switch AV's just for this reason. I guess it will depend on how much work it is for you to tweak this version.

Anyway, thanx so far bacause you have been alot of help on this.

Denver

Fuel Selectors Ins.

I guess it will depend on how much work it is for you to tweak this version.

It isn't I who can tweak anything I'm afraid. I wish it were. It's something in SimConnect which is being snarled up. The solution will depend upon a Microsoft update.

I'll keep folks posted about these things here -- that is this one, and the "No Add-Ons Menu" problem which is similar.

Meanwhile I did send you a version of FSUIPC (4.013) in which you can avoid the problem, at least as far as axis delays are concerned. Allen+1 has already confirmed that works okay.

Regards

Pete

OK, I was busy installing AVG free version while you were emailing me 4.0.13. Thanx very much by the way. With AVG anti virus I am having no problems however I did not realize you would be so quick and would like to go back to my old virus software so when I get more time I will test this out.

Again, the tech support is fantastic and thank you.

Denver

Hi Denver,

AVG has a large user base, probably because it is free :D , so I don't think you need worry about its effectiveness. I have used it for years and not had a problem although I do watch what kind of web sites I visit.

Bear in mind that the effects on FSUIPC you are seeing from your AV software may also imply it is impacting on the performance of flight sim.

I'm experiencing the same problem with the axes issue. Can you help me out with the fixed version?

There's no fix at present as it either needs something doing in FSX's simconnect to get around the assorted vagaries of third part security software, or for everyone to uninstall their security software and use only proven working products (working with simconnect, that is!)

What anti-virus, firewall and privacy software are you using, and have you tried changing its settings or even uninstalling it?

Temporarily I made a work-around in FSUIPC4, which unfortunately also stops you using it for joystick calibration, and that change will be included in the next official version, 4.02, this weekend. I'm busy putting it together now. Please check the Schiratti "Dowson" page later tomorrow, or maybe Sunday, latest.

Then, edit the FSUIPC4.INI file. Add the line:

NoAxisIntercepts=Yes

anywhere in the [General] section

Regards

Pete

I'm using F-secure (? I think), pack provided by my ISP. I did try disabling it after finding this thread, but I don't like having my firewall/AV disabled for too long, maybe just paranoid, but rather safe than sorry. Disabling had no effect whatsoever. I only use it to connect to Active Air Source for now, so I doubt I will miss the calibration feature. I'm only a beginner at this all.

Thanks for your help, your support really is fantastic,

Rgds, Steven

I did try disabling it after finding this thread, but I don't like having my firewall/AV disabled for too long, maybe just paranoid, but rather safe than sorry.

I understand that, but until Microsoft can come up with a fix for Simconnect that gets around all these problems, assuming they case, it looks like the only way is to uninstall then install one which is reported to work. certainly, for a firewall, the default WinXP one works. For Antivirus I know norton works (I use it myself), but there appear to some freeware ones which work too -- AVAST and AVG are two mentioned in the threads, though i think you have to do something with the privacy settings in AVAST.

Disabling had no effect whatsoever.

No. It seems that in many case the way the hooks are implanted in the system does the damage. Maybe there are settings in the individual products that would alleviate or even cure the problem, but it's all a bit hit and miss till we get some guidance about what is going on from Microsoft.

Although the workaround for the joystick delays in FSUIPC4 may suit you at present, there will be more and more products using Simconnect and some of these are going to suffer with similar problems too. In a sense you are lucky only having the slow joystick symptom, there are those where Simconnect simply blocks (doesn't work at all) and even the one that crashes to the Blue Screen Of Death as soon as you start FSX.

Regards

Pete

• 3 years later...