The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS

Hello Pete, I have a new internet connection here without a router just a hub. I have my main pc with fs9, fsuipc3.7, on it and my laptop with widefs 6.7 and my garmin gauges I run on it. I set up a home network using windows xp wizard, named one pc main, the other client. I see both computers on my network. When I get FS9 running on the main PC, and then click on wideclient on the laptop it won't connect, says waiting for a connection. The main keeps saying waiting for clients. I put a Config line in the wide fs config file saying ServerName=main as suggested. Because of no router both pc's have the same IP?? Is this the problem, I used to have a router for the two pc's and it worked fine.

Thank you.

When I get FS9 running on the main PC, and then click on wideclient on the laptop it won't connect, says waiting for a connection. The main keeps saying waiting for clients. I put a Config line in the wide fs config file saying ServerName=main as suggested.

If they are both running WinXP you shouldn't need that. But show me both the WideServer and Wideclient Log files and we'll go from there.

Because of no router both pc's have the same IP??

They can't do otherwise Windows would report a clash of IP addresses. If you've not assigned IP addresses yourself (which I would strongly recommend) then one of the PCs must be assigning them automatically.

Let me see the Logs first, and both INI files.

Regards

Pete

I checked and think there is a windows problem on the main pc, both have XP home yet after I set up my home network, they both have separate IP's, but only the small one "sees" the main, under network places on the main pc nothing shows up, will reformat and reload windows soon and request help if I still can';t get it!

To follow this up, it has been a crazy week, here are the attached log files for the new FSX install my son and I did on his 2 Win XP computers. Same errors were happening with FS2004 and earlier FSUIPC/WIdeFS combo. As always thanks for your look at it!

Logs generated after new install of registered FSUIPC4 by my son on his 2 computers, both with fresh Windows XP Home and both having run network setup wizard. File and printer sharing allowed, FSInn 1.2 works fine, Inn on "server", fsX on "main". WideFS enabled via FSX. I am trying to help him set up his systems, I use UIPC and WIdeFS .7's on my home XP systems without any problems.

Wideserver Log

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.02] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 02/11/06, Time 21:08:40.687: Server name is MAIN

15984 Initialising TCP/IP server

16000 Initialising IPX/SPX server

16000 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

16000 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

16000 Initialising UDP/IP server

16000 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

Wideserver0 Log

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.02] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 02/11/06, Time 00:11:24.156: Server name is MAIN

15218 Initialising TCP/IP server

15218 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15218 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

15218 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

15218 Initialising UDP/IP server

16000 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

243968 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 117 alloc, 116 free

Read buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Write buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Throughput maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********

WideClient Log

********* WideClient Log [version 6.70] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 02/11/06, Time 21:09:18.045: Client name is SERVER

290 Attempting to connect now

2564 Trying TCP/IP host "MAIN" port 8002 ...

2564 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

64763 Trying TCP/IP host "MAIN" port 8002 ...

64763 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

126962 Trying TCP/IP host "MAIN" port 8002 ...

126962 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

189122 Trying TCP/IP host "MAIN" port 8002 ...

189122 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

251291 Trying TCP/IP host "MAIN" port 8002 ...

251291 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

313461 Trying TCP/IP host "MAIN" port 8002 ...

313461 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

365926 ****** End of session performance summary ******

365926 Total time connected = 0 seconds

365926 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

365926 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

365926 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

365926 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********

To follow this up, it has been a crazy week, here are the attached log files for the new FSX install my son and I did on his 2 Win XP computers. Same errors were happening with FS2004 and earlier FSUIPC/WIdeFS combo. As always thanks for your look at it!

This error:

2564 Trying TCP/IP host "MAIN" port 8002 ...

2564 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

means that the server PC "MAIN" is not known to the Windows installation on which the Client is being run. You need to get the network fully working first otherwise WideFS has got no chance.

Possibly it's a firewall problem, though generally I find that those simply give no response at all, no errors, nothing.

Check that Explorer on the client can see the files on the server. Check that both computers have TCP/IP addresses on the same subnet -- if you didn't explicitly set the IP addresses that should be okay. Check that both PCs are in the same Workgroup. The Workgroup name is in My Computer properties (right click on My computer icon, select properties then the Computer Name tab) and can be changed there too.

Regards

Pete

Both computers show up under network places in explorer

In that case there is really no way that Windows should tell my program that it cannot find the host called "MAIN".

There's no way past that unless you give the client an explicit IP address (ServerIPAddr=n.n.n.n). Then it won't ask Windows to supply the address.

To test the connection and the IP address you can get into a DOS box (Run, enter "Command" and press Enter), then

Ping n.n.n.n

See if it gets a response. If not the IP address is not accessible.

It could still be a firewall problem too.

Regards

Pete

Hello again, now I am really puzzled. Both computers on same subnet. Separate IP's, each computer can ping the other, 4 sent/4 received, still unable to get FsX to connect to widefs? FSINN1.2 runs fine on "server" (actually the client pc). Added the line [ClientNames] then 1=server to wideserver.ini and servername=main to Config in widefs.ini also. Won't work either with FS2004 installed on Main with FSUIPC 3.7.. No firewalls.

Thanks again..

Added the line [ClientNames] then 1=server to wideserver.ini

Why? That is a list made by WideServer so it can number joystick nuttons sent by Clients consistently, that's all. You never need nor want to edit it manually. It doesn't make WideServer actually do anything.

and servername=main to Config in widefs.ini also. Won't work either with FS2004 installed on Main with FSUIPC 3.7.. No firewalls.

There's no file used by WideFS actually called "wideFS.ini", and you had ServerName set before in the Wideclient.ini, didn't you? Haven't you yet tried setting the ServerIPAddr parameter?

But is the client still saying that Windows says "Host not found"? There is no way WideFS can make such a report up. The error number 11001 comes direct from Windows. It means Windows is not able to return an IP address for the computer name "MAIN". But you can bypass that by giving it the IP address yourself.

I think you need to show me both your WideServer.INI and Wideclient.INI files. I've no idea what you've actually changed now. Better show the latest Logs too please.

Pete

Last night I noticed that the wideserver.ini file in FSX Modules had nothing in it except Port=8002under [Config], I copied and pasted the rest of the file under Port=8002 from the FS2004 wideserver.ini file and voila it works!

That couldn't have changed anything, I'm afraid you are fooling yourself somehow. WideServer.INI is not used at all in FSX -- that is only used with WideServer.DLL, which isn't used on FSX. You shouldn't have copied ANYTHING whatsoever from the WideFS.ZIP into the FSX modules folder, though it won't matter -- it'll all be entirely ignored.

In FSX, WideServer is built into FSUIPC4.DLL, and the INI parameters are included in a [WideServer] section in the FSUIPC4.INI file.

And in any case if the INI parameters are missing the same defaults as supplied are assumed.

Pete