The simFlight Network Forums

memory problem caused by FSUIPC 4

After much troubleshooting I came up to the conclusion that the "memory " problem as shown in attachments is caused by

FSUIPC4 (registered) . The problem simply does not occur when removing FSUIPC.dll from FSX Module folder.

It isn't (cannot be) caused directly by FSUIPC4. The instruction address is actually in FS's TERRAIN.DLL.

Unlike previous versions of FSUIPC, this one doesn't hack about inside FSX itself, it uses SimConnect. It is quite possible there are still bugs in the SimConnect interface, but, again, a crash in the Terrain DLL is not likely to be due to that either.

Have you by any chance been applying any of the "go faster" tweaks for FSX, involving replacement texture and other files? Possibly one of those isn't right?

I see you've also got Ivap (and maybe other) add-ins running -- have you reproduced the problem without those?

Just adding in more things for FSX to do subtly changes memory arrangements, timings and so on, and can often show up problems which may otherwise pass unnoticed.

Please submit full details of the crash to Microsoft. Emailing them to tell_fs@microsoft.com should be enough.

Regards

Pete

After much troubleshooting I came up to the conclusion that the "memory " problem as shown in attachments is caused by

FSUIPC4 (registered) . The problem simply does not occur when removing FSUIPC.dll from FSX Module folder.

You might be interested to view thread

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=57105

where it seems some nasty bug has been found in Simconnect. It has been reported, but a reliable work-around hasn't been found yet.

The address you get for your 'memory error' is the same as the one I can indfuce by running the TEST.DLL supplied in that thread.

Unless we can find a work-around this is certainly going to need a Simconnect fix.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Just to add grist to the mill I think I have just fallen foul of this Simconnect bug.

For a few days I have been trying to install FSRecorder into FSX but each time the FSX security panel came up it was totally inactive, I could not click on either button nor the 'how do I....' link.

I had FSUIPC 4 4011 installed and also FSCopilot.

Today I removed FSUIPC.dll from the modules folder, removed its entry in dll.xml and commented out its trusted status in fsx.cfg.

I was then able to install FSrecorder and 'tell' the FSX security panel to run the file.

I then got the application error

"The instruction at 0x20eab106 referenced memory at 0x09d9f814. The memory could not be read"

I then added FSUIPC back into modules, added its entry back into the dll.xml file and restored its trusted status in fsx.cfg

I have not tested each module yet but all three (FSUIPC, FSCopilot and FSrecorder) now appear in the addons menu.

I have since installed v4023.

I have used the autogen, clouds, water and taxi/runway reduced textures.

FSrecorder

http://www.neusinger.net/recorder/

Regards

Dave

Just to add grist to the mill I think I have just fallen foul of this Simconnect bug.

For a few days I have been trying to install FSRecorder into FSX but each time the FSX security panel came up it was totally inactive, I could not click on either button nor the 'how do I....' link.

I had FSUIPC 4 4011 installed and also FSCopilot.

Actually, I think you are adding to the wrong thread -- but I can see why. The right one is http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=57105.

It sounds like another possible symprom of the bug reported and hopefully now "worked-around" (at least in my code, update to be released here later tonight) -- it needs changes I expect to all SimConnect client programs until MS can fix it.

Today I removed FSUIPC.dll from the modules folder, removed its entry in dll.xml and commented out its trusted status in fsx.cfg.

Actually only removing it from the Modules folder, or renaming it would be enough. And if you told Windows to trust all software from me (via the option in the dropdown) the "trusted status" is nothing to do with FSX but is recorded someplace else, in a repository you can access via IE's Options.

I then got the application error

"The instruction at 0x20eab106 referenced memory at 0x09d9f814. The memory could not be read"

Aha more usual symptom.

Please make sure all this interesting information gets to MS, tell_fs@microsoft.com. I've tried to promote this as the most urgent SimConnect problem to resolve, even before firewalls, weather and performance!

Regards,

Pete

Jumping in on this discussion. I've been dealing with an issue that I simply could not resolve. When alt/tab out of FSX to use another application (didn't make any difference which one), FSX would freeze on me and I couldn't get back into it, even though it was still running (even could here the sound). Looking at the task mgr in WinXP I saw the #1 cpu was running at 100% and consuming all resources. (I'm running a CoreDuo E6600 with 2 Gig of DDR2)

Anyway, I reinstalled FSX completely and then proceeded to figure out what could be causing the freeze up. Nothing did until I reinstalled FSUIPC. From that point I got the freeze up, exactly as described above. I happened to see this thread and thought, what if I removed the fsuipc.dll? I did and then started FSX again. No problem with alt/tab. So, something is going on and it may be the same SimConnect issue being discussed here. I don't know, but thought I'd pass on my experience.

Pete, maybe the update you are planning tonight will address this issue, but it may be a SimConnect issue as well?

Cheers.

Rod

So, something is going on and it may be the same SimConnect issue being discussed here. I don't know, but thought I'd pass on my experience.

It doesn't sound like the same, but certainly it is worth reporting this to tell_fs@microsoft.com please.

Pete, maybe the update you are planning tonight will address this issue, but it may be a SimConnect issue as well?

There are no important changes I'm making to FSUIPC which are not SimConnect problem avoidance related -- work-arounds where we've found them. Nothing I know of or can do would change FS's abilities to redraw itself on changes of process or mode.

I haven't had exactly the same problem that you describe but certainly I've had FSX disappearing to the task bar without warning and just never restoring. And I've had completely black screns, with everything otherwise appearing to be running, when switching from windowed to full screen mode or vice versa.

Most of these sorts of problems I know about do seem to be associated with full screen mode, and I think for stability it is currently best to run instead in maximised Widowed mode if possible. (Oddly, I remember problems like this in the early days of FS2004).

I can only hope that MS will be able to address these things sooner rather than later.

One of the whole points of making FSUIPC almost exclusively a SimConnect-using client is that it means there's no complex invasive code in it, so nothing to go wrong -- at least on my side of the interface. Except for the button, key and joystick scanning (which are still independent and use standard Windows facilities) everything it does is via SimConnect. And 99% of the time it is doing nothing but waiting for information to arrive from simconnect as, unlike previous methods I had to use, the simconnect data access is passive -- FSUIPC files a request for information with SimConnect during initialisation, and then it merely sits back and waits for it to arrive. Admittedly, whilst flying, that's a lot of data which is changing fairly frequently, but on the whole is it no more often than in FS2004 and it is tied to the frame rate.

Regards

Pete

Pete, I've send a note to tell fs, as you suggested with a description of the problem, so will see what they respond with. I need FSUIPC because I run other apps (ActiveSky, etc.) on a networked pc through WideFS (registered).

Will see what happens with that route.

Regards

Rod

Pete, sorry another follow up. Updated FSUIPC to latest (appreciate you didn't think this would resolve issue). I had same problem but I did notice one thing I had forgotten about in earlier email. I got FSX into a window mode (still frozen however), and the title bar said (and it said this before)-"Flight Simulator X-Wideserver-waiting for client". Not sure if this helps figure this out, but I will also pass on to tell fs.

thanks

Rod

I got FSX into a window mode (still frozen however), and the title bar said (and it said this before)-"Flight Simulator X-Wideserver-waiting for client". Not sure if this helps figure this out, but I will also pass on to tell fs.

No point. If you've registered WideFS andyour WideServer is enabled, then the FS title bar always had the information telling you so. When clients connect it shows you how many are connected. It has been doing that now for 7 years or more.

Regards

Pete