The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS7 confi

Reading that wideserver7 is part of fsuipc4:

Isn't there any action to be taken in fsuipc4.ini file to config a widefs pc?

Is it just to create a widefs folder in wideclient pc, put wideclient.exe and wideclient.ini files there and just run?

Well, yes, mostly. You need to register and enable the Server in FSUIPC4's front page. Whatever used to go into the WideServer.INI file is now nearly all in the [WideServer] section in the FSUIPC4.INI file, but there's not a lot you should need to do -- possibly just set "ProtocolPreferred= ..." if you want WideClient connections to default to a different protocol than TCP (UDP and SPX are the others).

For a long time now pretty much all of the Server parameters are best defaulted, and even most of the Client ones too -- for a completely WinXP setup you shouldn't need to edit the Client's parameters either.

One other thing -- now that you can start and stop WideServer whilst running FS, without closing the session and restarting, you can actually change the [WideServer] section parameters and try things in the one session, so, for instance, to see which protocol works best in your setup. Though do take care - TCP still seems the most reliable if not the fastest.

Regards

Pete

Okay

1) How to register and enable wideserver in fsuipc.ini?

I went to both FS9/FSX\modules\fsuipc folders and registered FSUIPC3+WideFS / FSUIPC4+WIDEFS without any trouble so when I run each of FS the fsuipc windows seems okay in both FS9/FSX main window

2) Since I run ZoneAlarm in both pcs, I configured its firewall to accept WideFS as a protocol using TCP & UDP allowing it to communicate with any port, since I can't nominate the 8002 port.

In your answer you say "but there's not a lot you should need to do -- possibly just set "ProtocolPreferred= ..." if you want WideClient connections to default to a different protocol than TCP (UDP and SPX are the others). " so if I delete the "ProtocolPreferred=UDP" line in WideServer.ini and "Protocol=UDP" line in Wideclient.ini there will be no trouble at all? Because if I'm not wrong you recommend the TCP protocol, not UDP as someone posted somewhere and I've fallen for it before going to you, The Boss :(

Thanks

Eduardo

1) How to register and enable wideserver in fsuipc.ini?

You do not. There should not be any need to mess with FSUIPC INI. Why are you trying to do so?

Please PLEASE just follow the documentation. You Register FSUIPC and WideFS in FSUIPC Options, pressing the appropriate buttons, as it says in the documentation! When WideFS is registered another button appears allowing you to enable ort disable it.

PLEASE READ THE DOCUMENTATION! The instructions are easy enough!

I went to both FS9/FSX\modules\fsuipc folders and registered FSUIPC3+WideFS / FSUIPC4+WIDEFS without any trouble

I am sorry, but (a) this contradicts what you just said above, and (b) is plain impossible. Registration must be done from inside FS, in the FSUIPC options. Please do not mess about with any INI files unless you know what you are doing!

if I delete the "ProtocolPreferred=UDP" line in WideServer.ini and "Protocol=UDP" line in Wideclient.ini there will be no trouble at all?

How have you got them there? I don't issue any file with UDP protocol set!!!?

UDP protocol is faster, more efficient, but it lacks any error checking whatsoever and is not guaranteed. It is good if everything runs perfectly. But get it running first before trying it. It does advise you about these things in the documentation. It seems I waste my time writing this stuff, doesn't it? :-(

Sorry, but I think you need to start again. I have no idea what sort of mess you are making, but it seems you've not looked at what is avaialble. Delete everything, install FSUIPC or FSUIPC4, whichever you are talking about, and follow the instructions.

Thank you,

Pete