The simFlight Network Forums

Joystick calibration bug??

Pete,

sorry for all the post questions today but i'm migrating all my axis inputs from 3rd party software directly to my sim computer and FSX.

In the WinXP game controller/calibration/properties screen, wher you have the red bars that move with your pots to show calibration. I am getting nice and smooth movement from my spoiler pot. It goes from the yop to the bottom very nice with no jumps in the winxp side.

I load FSX, then fsuipc joy cal tab, i'm trying to set-up the spoiler section. It is only seeing about a 1/4 of the travel???? Not the entire movement like windows is showing.

I have already sent you my joy cal section of the ini in my other post.

Rob

I'm not Pete, but did you check your sensitivities in your sim? I don't have my FSX yet, still waiting for MS to make good on their promise to the AVSIM conference attendies last Sept., but if there is a sensitivities slider, null must be all the way to the left and Sensitivity slider all the way to the right. At least that is how it is in FS9. If not, the axis movement is limited.

Jim

I load FSX, then fsuipc joy cal tab, i'm trying to set-up the spoiler section. It is only seeing about a 1/4 of the travel???? Not the entire movement like windows is showing.

Two things. First, as Jim says, check the sliders in FSX if you are assigning them there. If you are assigning them in FSUIPC's "Axis Assignments" though, there are two input types there - RAW and calibrated. The calibrated will show the numeric results of what you did in Game Controllers, whilst 'RAW' bypasses that and shows the actual controller input. Generally it is best to rely on the Game Controllers calibration.

Second, since FSUIPC has no graphic indications, since it calibrates by numbers, how are you actually "seeing" that it only uses 1/4 of the travel? Are the numbers simply not changing at all elsewhere?

The input numbers themselves don't matter -- calibration maps whatever range you get to the full range FS needs in any case. The devices that give you large numbers are not necessarily giving that sort of resolution. Most pot-based axes will be good if they give as many as 100 different readings, let alone the 32000 they appear to boast, and I don't think there are many optical ones which give more. Most inputs I've dealt with seem to have about 30-50 positions which are detectable, and much less for reliable detection.

Regards

Pete

I will varify the settings later today. Pete, i can move my spoiler handle 3/4 of it's travel and not see the numbers change in the joy cal tab of fsuipc. My spoilers go from down to full up with only 10degree of travel from my handle. When in the windows XP game controller cal screen, i had movement in the 'raw' numbers for the entire travel. But the numbers only went from 175 to 234 but windows converted that into full movement.

i can move my spoiler handle 3/4 of it's travel and not see the numbers change in the joy cal tab of fsuipc.

That certainly sounds like you are assigning them in FS and have the sensitivity less than 100% and/or the null zone set off zero.

Yes, that's the same sort of calibration FSUIPC does. But it sounds like you have the FS settings wrong, as above.

Regards

Pete