The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS No Connect

Pete,

I'm having problems with active connection of the WideFS software between Server and Client. I would greatly appreciate your assistance in solving this connection problem.

Registered WideFS using the proper key

Placed WideServer.dll and WideServer.ini into the FSX modules folder on the server (NAME1)

Placed the WideClient.exe and WideClient.ini files into a folder on the client computer (NAME2)

Setup the shared folders on the server via the client (FSX and the Documents and Settings folders)

Verified connectivity by accessing both Server folders from the client computer

Verified TCP/IP installed and active on both the server and client (Note: Server and client connected through a router by standard Ethernet cables - Windows security disabled on both computers)

Passed files back and forth between the Server and Client to verify proper network function

When I execute WideClient no connection is made and no errors are displayed. The following is the result of an attempt at connection:

Log file entries:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.71] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 12/01/07, Time 20:13:50.453: Client name is NAME2

1140 Attempting to connect now

1140 Trying TCP/IP host "NAME1" port 8002 ...

1140Okay, IP Address = 192.168.1.101

2078 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

2078 Ready to try connection again

3125 Attempting to connect now

19109 ****** End of session performance summary ******

19109 Total time connected = 0 seconds

19109 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

19109 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

19109 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

19109 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********

Thanks so much.

Frank Bass

P

Placed WideServer.dll and WideServer.ini into the FSX modules folder on the server (NAME1)

You've not looked at the documentation? ::-( There are no separate WideServer files for FSX. WideServer is built into FSUIPC4. Please delete the WideServer.dll and INI files from the FSX modules folder.

Setup the shared folders on the server via the client (FSX and the Documents and Settings folders)

WideFs never has used shared folders and doesn't need anything shared at all.

When I execute WideClient no connection is made and no errors are displayed. The following is the result of an attempt at connection:

2078 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10061] Connection refused

Did you enable WideServer in FSUIPC's About & Register options page (button bottom right)?

Where's the WideServer.Log from the FSX Modules folder?

It looks as if eiither FSUIPC4's WideServer option is not enabled, or you still have a firewall blocking access. Just because Windows Explorer can read and write shared files does not mean other programs are not blocked.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete - appreciate it.

Yes, I did read the docs - several times. The problem, as I see it, is that you have FS9 and FSX information in the same pdf file. There is a paragraph under "Installation" titled "On the Flight Simulator PC [FS2004 or earlier]." Under that is a paragraph titled "On the Flight Simulator PC [FSX or later]." Immediately following those two paragraphs is one labeled "On each client PC." This is where my confusion began because these paragraphs did not indicate that this part of the installation only applied to FS2004. I am aware that in the very first part of the installation manual it says that you don't need any further files on the FSX computer but..... Anyway that is why I placed those two files in the "Modules" folder under FSX.

Regarding "shared folders" - I'm sorry, I mixed apples and oranges here. These steps for sharing folders came from the instructions contained in the package for FlightSim Commander. The installation for this program, that is supposed to work with WideFS, calls for setting up shared folders for FSX and the Documents and Settings folder containing FSX flight plans. I don't think these steps have anything to do with WideFS but seem to be necessary for FlightSim Commander.

Regarding registration and activation - I followed the steps necessary for both of these actions. Both fsuipc and WideFS show registration on the fsuipc menu.

Anyway, it appears WideFS is working properly. Sorry for the inconvenience and my confusion.

Frank

Yes, I did read the docs - several times. The problem, as I see it, is that you have FS9 and FSX information in the same pdf file.

Because 99% is the same, and the differences don't matter a lot in any case.

Right on the first page there are these clear statements:

This package contains just the following parts:

WideServer.dll The WideFS6 server module, for the FS Modules folder (Version 6.71)

(This is not used with FSX or later)

WideServer.ini Initial configuration for the server

(This is not used with FSX or later)

And the Installation section is clearly separated as far as the Server is concerned. The only joint section is for each Client, since Clients are independent of Server FS version.

There is a paragraph under "Installation" titled "On the Flight Simulator PC [FS2004 or earlier]." Under that is a paragraph titled "On the Flight Simulator PC [FSX or later]." Immediately following those two paragraphs is one labeled "On each client PC." This is where my confusion began because these paragraphs did not indicate that this part of the installation only applied to FS2004.

That is because it does NOT only apply to FS2004! The client is IDENTICAL no matter which FS version you use. That is the WHOLE point.

I am rather taken aback that this could possibly be mixed up, especially when I tried so hard to make it clear! The heading "FS2004 or earlier" means for FS2004 or earlier. The heading "FSX or later" means for FSX or later. The heading "On each client PC" means for each client PC -- clients do not run FS. The version of FS is absolutely and completely and utterly irrelevant for the Clients!

You said that's the way you understood it, but then somehow applied the earlier section headed FS2004 and earlier in any case. Why?

And even with a different interpretation, there is no mention whatsoever of placing anything to do with WideServer under that "On each client PC" heading!

Anyway, it appears WideFS is working properly.

Ah, so what was the problem? Actually placing WideServer.dll and ini files in the FSX Modules folder won't do any harm, it won't do anything at all in fact (except take a little more disk space of course). ;-)

Sorry for the inconvenience and my confusion.

No problem, except I'd really like to know how, even after "several" readings, the Installation paragraphs confused you. Could you please point out the part you think is in error and I'll try to make it even clearer.

I did think of keeping the original WideFS documentation unedited for FSX, and have a separate little "read me" explaining the small differences. This is what I did during the Beta stages of course. But it didn't seem like a good long-term solution, especially as the differences are so small.

Regards

Pete