The simFlight Network Forums

PROBLEM WITH FSUIPC AND VISTA!!!!

HELLO, I INSTALL WINDOWS VISTA AND FSX, WITH XP I DONT HAVE PROBLEM, BUT WHEN I WANT REGISTER FSUIPC IT SAY " YOU HAVE TO SHUTDOWN FS AND LOG OFF AND LOCK BACK AS ADMINISTRATOR, YOU CAN NOT REGISTER AT THE PRESENT"

AND I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR OF VISTA, THEARE NOT ANY ACOUNT MORE...!!!!

WHAT I CAN DO???

HELLO, I INSTALL WINDOWS VISTA AND FSX, WITH XP I DONT HAVE PROBLEM, BUT WHEN I WANT REGISTER FSUIPC IT SAY " YOU HAVE TO SHUTDOWN FS AND LOG OFF AND LOCK BACK AS ADMINISTRATOR, YOU CAN NOT REGISTER AT THE PRESENT"

AND I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR OF VISTA, THEARE NOT ANY ACOUNT MORE...!!!!

WHAT I CAN DO???

First, please find the Caps Lock button on your keyboard and press it -- typing in all CAPS comes across as SHOUTING and is also more difficult to read.

Second, this problem is most certainly because you don't actually have Administrator privileges -- apparently Vista does its damnedest to stop you doing things that you should have a right to do!

According to all the testers who have been using Vista and FS with FSUIPC you should be able to get around the problem by using the "Run As ..." option when executing FS, and selecting the fully-privileged Administrator account, whatever that may be called.

Regards

Pete

According to all the testers who have been using Vista and FS with FSUIPC you should be able to get around the problem by using the "Run As ..." option when executing FS, and selecting the fully-privileged Administrator account, whatever that may be called.

Hi Pete,

I ran into this problem myself, but think I've fixed it more elegantly.

If you look at the security properties for FSUIPC.INI and FSUIPC.KEY (which are both in the FSX modules directory) the Users group does not have permissions to modify/write to these files (which prevents any button config changes from being saved, etc). If you grant these permissions you can run FSX as your normal user again.

Perhaps the next version of the FSUIPC installer can set these permissions by default?

Cheers,

Niels

• 2 weeks later...

1) Install FSX (I suppose it is !)

2) De-zip FSUIPC.zip in a folder on your disk

3) From this folder, right-click on InstallFSUIPC4.exe and select Execute as administrator, left click. Installation of FSUIPC completes, answer yes at several trustee requesters.

4) Open your FSX folder (typically C:\Program files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ ) and right click on fsx.exe.

Select Execute as administrator and left click.

Answer yes to any trustee requester.

5) You're done !

6) In FSX screen, on the menu bar, you must have an Add-Ons tab, open it, FSUIPC must be present. You can now enter the registration keys for FSUIPC and WideFS. Then close FSX and restart it.

Hope this helps.

Pierre Néel LFBE

If you look at the security properties for FSUIPC.INI and FSUIPC.KEY (which are both in the FSX modules directory) the Users group does not have permissions to modify/write to these files (which prevents any button config changes from being saved, etc). If you grant these permissions you can run FSX as your normal user again.

Perhaps the next version of the FSUIPC installer can set these permissions by default?

Hmmm.. Not the installer, those files are created only when you run/register FSUIPC. I'm creating the files as normal read/write files. Does Vista have a lot more file attributes?

I suspect it has more to do with allowing FS to install into its default place, Program Files, which creates the problems -- from what folks have told me, anything installed in Program Files is protected against users!

I've always installed FS to someplace like C:\FS9 or C:\FSX. I suspect many add-ons are going to have problems with stuff installed in Program Files.

I'll do some searching for information on extra permission attributes.

Thanks,

Pete