The simFlight Network Forums

088 version, FSX abort

Hello,

Since the installation of the 088 version , at FSX start I see the "usual" popup asking if I agree to ......., no time to read the entire content, the popup is gone and FSX also , back to the standard windows display.

Hello,

Since the installation of the 088 version , at FSX start I see the "usual" popup asking if I agree to ......., no time to read the entire content

Er .. have you never simply told Windows that you accept software signed by me? Then you will never ever get that so-called "usual" popup again from any of my updates!

the popup is gone and FSX also , back to the standard windows display.

Sounds like you have a corrupted copy, it works fine on all the test sites and has been fully tested.

Regards

Pete

When I try to reinstall previous version I have the popup that you see in the previous part of this topic.

Of course, because 4.088 is a later version!!

If you want to go backwards (and have no support after it is released as 4.09 later this week), then you will need to delete it first. FSUIPC's installer does not let you overwrite a later version -- that was a big problem with too many automatic third party installers in the past!

BTW what was your "previous version"? There is a problem, long ago avoided, as we thought, by FSUIPC4 and FSUIPC4 installer changes, with SimConnect and the Security checking for other (unsigned) programs loading at the same time as FSUIPC4's initialising. This problem is known to Microsoft and hopefully is fixed in the upcoming SP1 update. However, it only occurs when you have more than one SimConnect client loading initially (presumably via DLL.XML or EXE.XML additions), and one of them forces the Security warning confirmation dialogue. Is that your case? What other SimConnect clients have you got installed?

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

1/ "Er .. have you never simply told Windows that you accept software signed by me? Then you will never ever get that so-called "usual" popup again from any of my updates! "

Each time I install a new version of FSUIPC I get this popup to accept the software signed by you and each time I respond : yes.

This time I had no chance to answer !! FSX was gone !!

2/ "BTW what was your "previous version"? Hummm, I do not remember the # !! it was the last available on this site !

I have cut and past the 4.0.8.1 copy available on my FSX backup folder and all seams OK again.

3/"What other SimConnect clients have you got installed? " In fact I do not know, HOW can I find this information?

I rencently installed FSCommander, Autothumbnail, FS Force and FS Earth

4/Do you want me to retry to load the .088? or do I wait for the next version?

1/ "Er .. have you never simply told Windows that you accept software signed by me? Then you will never ever get that so-called "usual" popup again from any of my updates! "

Each time I install a new version of FSUIPC I get this popup to accept the software signed by you and each time I respond : yes.

Ah. There's a little drop down menu you can access from that prompt which allows you to say that you actually trust software signed by Peter L. Dowson. If you do that it will never prompt you again for any legitimately signed programs from me.

This time I had no chance to answer !! FSX was gone !!

This will be before FSUIPC4 is even entered -- if you get that prompt it is crashing in FSX before loading FSUIPC4. There's really nothing I can change in FSUIPC4 which would make any such difference, simply because it isn't running yet!

The only thing I know which has happened which is anywhere similar to that is actually caused by a bug in FSX which can crash it exactly where you say, if (and only if) something was trying to initialise SimConnect at exactly (and I mean exactly) the same time as that security prompt appeared.

When it was happening before it was when FSUIPC4 was loaded okay but some other (unsigned) program was loading and causing the prompt. I got around that by making FSUIPC4 wait and not try to initialise SimConnect until much later -- generally 10-20 seconds into the loading sequence, when SimConnect has signalled a "Sim Start" event.

I have cut and past the 4.0.8.1 copy available on my FSX backup folder and all seams OK again.

That's simply because the prompt is suppressed, not by you having said you trusted my programs, but because when you answered "Yes" before, FSX entered details of that version of FSUIPC4 into your FSX.CFG file. It will keep adding stuff there each time you say 'yes'.

"What other SimConnect clients have you got installed? " In fact I do not know, HOW can I find this information?

I rencently installed FSCommander, Autothumbnail, FS Force and FS Earth

If that's all you installed between installing 4.081 (and getting the prompt) and installing 4.088, then it must be one of those. Do any of them start automatically with FSX, do you know?

I may be able to help identify the culprit (it needs tackling if possible) if you could find these two files:

EXE.XML

DLL.XML

which, if they exist (DLL.XML certainly will), will both be in the folder where your FSX.CFG is kept. i.e.

Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

They are text files, so just paste them into your reply and I'll see what can be done, at least until Microsoft fix the bug (hopefully in the SP1 update).

4/Do you want me to retry to load the .088? or do I wait for the next version?

It sounds like, to use any new version at all, you'll need, temporarily at least, to stop one of your other installed programs from loading. That's what I'm trying to help identify.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

Thanks for assisting me.

The dll.xml :

?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

FS_Earth

False

FS_Earth\fs_earth.dll

Object Placement Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

Traffic Toolbox

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

Visual Effects Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll

FS Recorder ModuleFalseFalseL:\FS X Downloaded Files\FS X Recorder\RecorderFSX.dll

FSForce DLL

false

false

L:\FS X Downloaded Files\FSForce\FSForce.dll

FSUIPC 4

False

Modules\FSUIPC4.dll

The EXE.xml

LaunchEXE.xmlFalseFalse

FSForce

false

false

L:\FS X Downloaded Files\FSForce\FSForce.exe

/FS

true

FalseFalseAutothumbnailL:\FS X Downloaded Files\AutoThumbnail\Autothumbnail.exe

False

False

Wheelcam

L:\FS X Downloaded Files\WheelCam\Wheelcam.exe

Hello Pete,

Thanks for assisting me.

Okay. It looks like you have several other add-ons which are being loaded when FSX loads. One of more of those is attempting to initialise its data requests from SimConnect before FSX has really started properly.

There are two different ways of finding out which one or more. First is to get a SimConnect log -- instructions for doing that are found in my FSX Help announcement at the top of the forum. Just enable the logging, start FSX in your normal way (but with FSUIPC4.081 of course), and when FSX is ready to fly, close it. ZIP the simconnect log and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

The other way is a process of elimination, stopping each of your add-ons from loading, in turn, until you can run with a new 4.088 without a crash. For this, save your 4.081 and copy the 4.088 DLL back into the FSX Modules folder. Then, looking at this list of add-on mdules

FS_Earth\fs_earth.dll (presumably this is in the FSX folder)

L:\FS X Downloaded Files\FS X Recorder\RecorderFSX.dll

L:\FS X Downloaded Files\FSForce\FSForce.dll

L:\FS X Downloaded Files\FSForce\FSForce.exe

L:\FS X Downloaded Files\AutoThumbnail\Autothumbnail.exe

L:\FS X Downloaded Files\WheelCam\Wheelcam.exe

temporarily rename or, easier maybe, move, each of those in turn, so they don't load, checking FSX loading (with 4.088 installed) each time until you get the prompt correctly and no crash.

Once that is okay, make a note of the last one disabled, then look for the drop down which allows you to say you trust Peter L Dowson. That will at least stop this happening, with my new versions, in future.

Please let me know which module it was (or all of them, possibly ...?). Do you rember which of the above were installed BEFORE you installed FSUIPC 4.081 originally? Which one of those above did you install last of all?

Probably, for me, the best information would be the SimConnect log. For you the process of elimination will solve your problem, for now.

Regards

Pete

Probably, for me, the best information would be the SimConnect log. For you the process of elimination will solve your problem, for now.

Thanks for the log.

This shows that both "FS Earth" and "Recorder" are initialising all their data requests (and for the Recorder that is a huge number) right at the start, whilst other programs are being loaded and well before FSX is actually in any fit state to supply that data.

This is very dangerous. Even if it did not crash FSX when some security or other check on loading arose, it has been known to have later odd effects in FSX, possibly resulting from corruption at this early stage.

They are both doing all this at the same time as FSUIPC4 is being loaded, so I am pretty sure it is one of them causing the crash.

I hope this is something which is, indeed, sorted out in the upcoming SP1 update from Microsoft, as they have known about it for some time, but I also think you should point out to the authors of these two programs the possible problems they could be causing their users. The fix is relatively easy and painless. They should only ask SimConnect for a "Sim Start" event first, and issue all their other data requests after receiving one of those.

By all means copy my comments and send them the SimConnect log, in case they do not fully understand this need.

AutoThumbnail does ask for the SimStart event, but oddly also asks for the only data it is interested in (the aircraft title) before it receives the event. Not being a big data requester, it may or may not be a problem. I can't tell from the log -- it did this well after FSUIPC4 was fully loaded in any case.

FSForce is, however, very well behaved, like FSUIPC4, and waits till receiving a "SimStart" notification before initialising any of its data requests.

For your current dilemma, I recommend you temporarily stop

FS_Earth\fs_earth.dll

L:\FS X Downloaded Files\FS X Recorder\RecorderFSX.dll

from loading (just rename them for now), get FSUIPC 4.088 installed (and Peter L Dowson trusted), then re-enable those afterwards.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete, FYI

I unstalled FS Recorder, I temporary stopped FS Earth. I loaded the 089 and start fsx = same reaction; FSX closes as soon as I "see" the usual popup to allow FSUIPC .

This is the content of the SimConnect0.log:

"

0.00000 SimConnect version 0x00000002

0.81086 Exe Launched: Path="L:\FS X Downloaded Files\FSForce\FSForce.exe" CommandLine="/FS" Version="2.0.2.174"

0.81572 Exe Launched: Path="L:\FS X Downloaded Files\AutoThumbnail\Autothumbnail.exe" CommandLine="" Version="1.0.4.0"

0.81585 File not found: Path="L:\FS X Downloaded Files\WheelCam\Wheelcam.exe"

0.81684 File not found: Path="FS_Earth\fs_earth.dll"

0.84604 Panels data export found and set to 20A41990

1.00990 DLL Loaded: Path="L:\FS X Downloaded Files\FSForce\FSForce.dll" Version="2.0.2.52"

> 2.06200 [63, 1]Open: Version=0x00000002 Name="FSForce DLL"

> 2.06232 [63, 2]SubscribeToSystemEvent:EventID=0, SystemEventName="SimStart"

> 2.06238 [62, 1]Open: Version=0x00000002 Name="Autothumbnail"

> 2.06250 [61, 1]Open: Version=0x00000002 Name="FS Force"

> 2.06261 [61, 2]RequestSystemState:RequestID=0, szState="Sim"

> 2.06271 [61, 3]SubscribeToSystemEvent:EventID=0, SystemEventName="SimStart"

> 2.08718 [62, 2]AddToDataDefinition:DefineID=0, DatumName="title", UnitsName="", DatumType=9, fEpsilon=0.000000, DatumID=-1

> 2.08728 [62, 3]SubscribeToSystemEvent:EventID=3, SystemEventName="AircraftLoaded"

> 2.08732 [62, 4]SetSystemEventState:EventID=3, dwState=1

> 2.08735 [62, 5]SubscribeToSystemEvent:EventID=1, SystemEventName="1sec"

> 2.08738 [62, 6]SubscribeToSystemEvent:EventID=2, SystemEventName="SimStart"

> 2.08741 [62, 7]SetSystemEventState:EventID=1, dwState=1

> 2.08744 [62, 8]SetSystemEventState:EventID=2, dwState=1

> 2.08746 [62, 9]MapClientEventToSimEvent:EventID=0, EventName="CAPTURE_SCREENSHOT"

> 2.08750 [62, 10]RequestSystemState:RequestID=1, szState="AircraftLoaded"

> 2.08767 [62, 11]RequestSystemState:RequestID=2, szState="Sim"

> 2.09241 [62, 12]RequestDataOnSimObject:RequestID=0, DefineID=0, ObjectID=0, Period=1, Flags=0, origin=0, interval=0, limit=0"

I hope it helps

Hello Pete, FYI

I unstalled FS Recorder, I temporary stopped FS Earth. I loaded the 089 and start fsx = same reaction; FSX closes as soon as I "see" the usual popup to allow FSUIPC .

Looks like you'll need to stop AutoThumbNail too then. I can only think SimConnect is crashing out on one of these two actions it performs before it sees a "Sim Start" event which says it's okay to get data:

> 2.08718 [62, 2]AddToDataDefinition:DefineID=0, DatumName="title", UnitsName="", DatumType=9, fEpsilon=0.000000, DatumID=-1

> 2.09241 [62, 12]RequestDataOnSimObject:RequestID=0, DefineID=0, ObjectID=0, Period=1, Flags=0, origin=0, interval=0, limit=0"

Last time I said, of this "it did this well after FSUIPC4 was fully loaded in any case.", but this time (presumably because you stopped two of the programs, it is doing it before anything of FSUIPC appears in the Log, so I assume that's where the Security check is occurring.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

FSAutothumbnail disable = OK for FSX to accept the 089 version.

I will inform the product provider. FS Earth enabled and OK.

BUT at aircraft loading , an other popup coming from FSForce.

The product provider is also informed

fsuipc1vj1.th.jpg.

Have a nice day

FSAutothumbnail disable = OK for FSX to accept the 089 version.

I will inform the product provider. FS Earth enabled and OK.

Good. Thanks!

BUT at aircraft loading , an other popup coming from FSForce.

The product provider is also informed

That's something to do with DirectX Force Feedback. Not my field at all I'm afraid!

Regards

Pete