The simFlight Network Forums

No turbulence in FSX what is the problem ?

I registered yesterday FSUIPC4 hoping to solve my problem of not having turbulence but still it doesn't work. I have tried all sort of configurations with ActiveSky, FSX, FSInn and read all the doc with no success.

The weather display all right, clouds ceiling, vis, precipitation ok but no turbulence.

Is it normal that after closing ActiveSky I can't clear the weather by pressing FSUIPC4 button "clear all weather" ? The weather stays the same as before turning off AS.

With VATSIM weather it works even when I am on line it clears the sky completely untill the next refresh by VATSIM engine but I still can't get turbulence. I was flying on line with a friend awhile ago and he experienced turulence with 20kts gusty wind. Here is a copy of my FSUIPC ini file.

Please if you can help it will be very much appreciated. I have been searching a solution for days.

Thanks

[General]

History=1KMGQ62A3A0G0DBVPGAV6

TCASid=Flight

TCASrange=40

AxisCalibration=No

DirectAxesToCalibs=No

ShowMultilineWindow=Yes

SuppressSingleline=No

SuppressMultilineFS=No

WeatherReadFactor=2

SimConnectStallTime=1

GraduatedVisibility=No

LowerVisAltitude=0

UpperVisAltitude=25000

UpperVisibility=10000

MinimumVisibility=0

MaximumVisibilityFewClouds=0

MaximumVisibility=0

MaximumVisibilityOvercast=0

MaximumVisibilityRainy=0

SetVisUpperAlt=No

VisUpperAltLimit=0

ExtendMetarMaxVis=No

OneCloudLayer=No

ThinClouds=No

ThinThunderClouds=No

CloudThinness=1000

ThunderCloudThinness=10000

CloudTurbulence=No

CloudIcing=No

GenerateCirrus=No

SuppressCloudTurbulence=No

MaxIce=3

MinIce=-1

ExtendTopWind=Yes

UpperWindGusts=Yes

SuppressWindTurbulence=No

WindTurbulence=Yes

SuppressAllGusts=No

MaxSurfaceWind=0

WindLimitLevel=200

WindDiscardLevel=400

WindAjustAltitude=No

WindAjustAltitudeBy=2000

DisconnTrimForAP=No

ZeroElevForAPAlt=No

ThrottleSyncAll=No

WhiteMessages=No

ShowPMcontrols=No

MagicBattery=No

RudderSpikeRemoval=No

ElevatorSpikeRemoval=No

AileronSpikeRemoval=No

ReversedElevatorTrim=No

ClockSync=No

ClockSyncMins=5

ClearWeatherDynamics=No

FixWindows=No

OwnWeatherChanges=No

TimeForSelect=4

LoadFlightMenu=No

LoadPlanMenu=No

PauseAfterCrash=No

ShortAircraftNameOk=No

NoAxisIntercepts=No

[WideServer]

WideFSenabled=Yes

[GPSout]

Port=

Speed=4800

Interval=1000

PosTo6Decimal=Yes

Sentences=

GPSoutEnabled=No

[AutoSave]

AutoSaveEnabled=No

[Monitor]

Display=1

I registered yesterday FSUIPC4 hoping to solve my problem of not having turbulence but still it doesn't work.

What made you think FSUIPC4 could add weather effects to FSX if it doesn't provide them in any case?

I am not aware of a lack of turbulence in FSX, but if this is the case it should be reported. Too late now for the forthcoming SP1 update I fear.

Please be clear, too, whether you mean cloud turbulence (which I think does work), or wind turbulence (which I am less sure of).

The weather display all right, clouds ceiling, vis, precipitation ok but no turbulence.

Have you actually tried setting turbulence in FSX itself, in the weather menus (select user-defined then go through the Advanced menus)?

As explained elsewhere, I pretty much gave up on FSX weather for the first user release as there were too many problems. I advised folks not to use the FSUIPC filter options, yet - and most certainly not the "change FS's own weather" option. I have more hope for these facilities in the upcoming SP1 update for FSX, where I hope they have fixed some if not all of the problems.

Is it normal that after closing ActiveSky I can't clear the weather by pressing FSUIPC4 button "clear all weather" ? The weather stays the same as before turning off AS.

In general you have to use it twice, I think, but I'll re-check that. It operates by trying to put the FSX weather into Global mode, then sending a Global all-clear METAR. After that it probably sends a command to put FSX back into whatever mode it was before (else I'd get complaints that FSUIPC changes weather modes). Maybe this brings back the localised weather from the stations -- I'll have to check.

I'll check all this in the SP1 update and hopefully get back to looking at the FSUIPC weather facilities once more when that's available at last. ;-)

... I still can't get turbulence. I was flying on line with a friend awhile ago and he experienced turulence with 20kts gusty wind.

Gusts are variations in wind speed. There's also variance which are variations in wind direction. Both may seem like turbulence, but they are not the same effect. Turbulence should have a high change frequency but, usually, less amplitude. Maybe your friend is mixing them up? And if he got them, why don't you?

Here is a copy of my FSUIPC ini file.

Best, especially as things stand at present, when flying on-line or with ActiveSky to let those programs deal with the weather. Click the button on FSUIPC's first tab to set minimum weather interference.

Let us re-visit this when SP1 is available. I honestly think expecting any predicatble control with FSX as it is at present is a little optimistic.

Regards

Pete

Thank you for your prompt reply. I did some more tests and set ActvieSky and FSX to use both the system time and it seems to correct the effect of wind gust and turbulence. Also it has more effect on default planes. The addon plane I was using for my tests is probably program to be less sensitive to gust and turbulence.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I did some more tests and set ActvieSky and FSX to use both the system time and it seems to correct the effect of wind gust and turbulence. Also it has more effect on default planes. The addon plane I was using for my tests is probably program to be less sensitive to gust and turbulence.

Okay. Thnks for letting me know. I wonder why the time setting has any relevance, though?

Regards

Pete