The simFlight Network Forums

Can't register after clean reinstall.

Pete,I reinstalled fsx for SP1 and installed FSUIPC 4.1.Shows up in menu and asks for registration key.Has my name and email already filled in.When I copy and paste my key it says it is invalid.When I first installed fsx last Oct I had an unconventional install and FSUIPC could not install.You told me to reinstall FSX properly and I did and it worked.This time on reinstall for some reason it did not include Flight Simulator X in path. I have D:\Microsoft Games\ all the FSX folders.Not d:\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\Folders.FSUIPC did install and shows up under add on and asks for my key.I assume I am OK with this installation.Before I do aanother complete reinstall to try registering do you think this could be my problem even though FSUIPC is there and asks for my key?The key is for FSUIPC4.Thanks,Ron

I reinstalled fsx for SP1 and installed FSUIPC 4.1.Shows up in menu and asks for registration key.Has my name and email already filled in.

How did it become unregistered? Did you delete any files? Or did you reinstall Windows? That would do it.

When I copy and paste my key it says it is invalid.When I first installed fsx last Oct I had an unconventional install and FSUIPC could not install.

Not sure what you mean by that.

This time on reinstall for some reason it did not include Flight Simulator X in path.

What does that mean?

Sorry. You'll need to be more specific. First, are you using the current version of FSUIPC (4.10, or, better, 4.104 from the FSX Downloads above)? If not, do so.

Second, when you install FSUIPC4 it produces a detailed analysis of everything it does. This shows on the screen whilst it is installing, and you can read it, and, if anything goes wrong, save it. The data in that is far more understandable than your explanation is going to be, so how about using it, please?

If you install 4.104 and it works there will be an Install log saved in the FSX modules folder. You can read/show that.

FSUIPC did install and shows up under add on and asks for my key.

FSUIPC never asks for a key. I don't understand what you are seeing. Please describe exactly what you are doing. Also, your registration is nothing whatsoever to do with how or where FSX is installed.

Please read the Installation instructions in the user documentation. Then, when you are sure it is installed okay, run FSX (you should run as administrator, especially on Vista, as it says), and only when you are actually IN FSX do you get the chance to register. But you are never ever asked for a key. You have to ask to register, in the FSUIPC options.

Please please do read the documentation provided, at least the first few sections.

Regards

Pete

Pete,Sorry,it does ask me to register not for a key.I have a registration number for FSUIPC4 from Simmarket.It was working fine in FSX prior to me uninstalling FSX for a clean reinstall for SP1.I uninstalled FSX,reinstalled with SP1.Installed FSUIPC 4.1.Now it is asking me to register and won't accept my code.I have emailed Simmarket trouble ticket also.Thanks,Ron

Sorry,it does ask me to register not for a key.

FSUIPC never asks you to register, either. It never asks anything. If something is asking you to register, it most certainly isn't FSUIPC!

Please describe exactly this window or whatever which is asking you such a thing. Obviously if it is another program altogether the FSUIPC Key you have will not work!

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the quick reply.I'm in my office so I will get back to you later.When I am in FSX I go to FSUIPC and a box opens asking me to register.It has my name and email and asks for a key or registration number.That's all I can tell you now.Will get back with details after I reinstall FSX again tonight.Ron

When I am in FSX I go to FSUIPC and a box opens asking me to register.

By "go to FSUIPC" do you mean go to the Add-Ons menu, and click on FSUIPC?

That takes you to FSUIPC options. Only one of the options there is to register FSUIPC. It never asks you to do anything explicitly. Many folks don't register because they have no need of the extra facilities.

If it is registered it will say it is registered, if it is not, it will say it is not registered. The rest is up to you.

If you mean it is saying you are not registered, and you are clicking on the Register FSUIPC button, then the fact that is shows your name and email means there is an FSUIPC4.KEY file in the FSX Modules folder containing those details. Also, in that file, there will be the Key you registered with before.

It sounds like you re-installed Windows, or rolled back to a previous restore point (before you registered). Is that right? You would need to re-register then, certainly, but you can cut-and-apaste the key from the FSUIPC4.KEY file -- it is only a Text file, open it with Notepad or any text editor.

Regards

Pete

By "go to FSUIPC" do you mean go to the Add-Ons menu, and click on FSUIPC?

That takes you to FSUIPC options. Only one of the options there is to register FSUIPC. It never asks you to do anything explicitly. Many folks don't register because they have no need of the extra facilities.

If it is registered it will say it is registered, if it is not, it will say it is not registered. The rest is up to you.

If you mean it is saying you are not registered, and you are clicking on the Register FSUIPC button, then the fact that is shows your name and email means there is an FSUIPC4.KEY file in the FSX Modules folder containing those details. Also, in that file, there will be the Key you registered with before.

This is exactly what is happening but when I cut and paste the key it says it is invalid.It is for FSUIPC4.I have to reinstall tonight so I thought I would copy my backup FSUIPC.dll from prio to uninstalling FS and run FS before installing SP1 and see if I have a working FSUIPC.Simmarket emailed me that it was a technical problem and to contact your support.And I do thank you for that support.I have been using FSUIPC for a long time.BTW I copied and pasted the key from my order at Simmarket not from the FSX modules folder.I at first tried to enter it manually.

when I cut and paste the key it says it is invalid.

There's nothing I know that'll do that, assuming FSUIPC4 is installed correctly, and you are running as an Administrator.

Please ZIP up the FSUIPC4.LOG and FSUIPC4.KEY files and send to petedowson@btconnect.com, and I'll check them here. I'm away from tomorrow for a week, so please do it as soon as possible and I'll get straight onto it.

I have to reinstall tonight so I thought I would copy my backup FSUIPC.dll from prio to uninstalling FS and run FS before installing SP1

Why are you reinstalling? If FSUIPC4 is installed and it is running well enough for you to get to the Add-Ons/FSUIPC menu, there won't be that much wrong, especially not enough to justify a re-install. But let me see the files first.

Regards

Pete

I am reinstalling FS because I installed it with wrong path .I had D:\Microsoft Games\all the FSX Folders.Should be D:\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\All the FSX folders.I did this once before and FSUIPC would not install.You advised at that time that I should correct my installation to avoid future problems.I did a clean reinstall for SP1 and did it the wrong way again so I am doing another reinstall.I am getting old and a little forgetful.How exactly do I get the log you want?Thanks again,Ron

I am reinstalling FS because I installed it with wrong path .I had D:\Microsoft Games\all the FSX Folders.Should be D:\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\All the FSX folders.I did this once before and FSUIPC would not install.

FSUIPC will install in any folder you correctly install FSX into. It doesn't care what the folder is. The problem you had was that the Registry did NOT point correctly to the FSX folder where it should have done. This would cause you problems later. I also said that if you re-installed FSUIPC using the later version of FSUIPC it would offer to fix the registry for you.

In order to get the registry pointing to the wrong place, you must have actually moved FSX using Explorer.

I always install FS into nice easy folders to remember, like C:\FSX or more usually on a different disk altogether, like E:\FSX. On one system I have FS2002, FS9 and FSX all installed like that. I only let FS install itself in the default places for testing installers. ;-)

How exactly do I get the log you want?

After you load FSX with FSUIPC installed, there will be an FSUIPC4.LOG file produced in the FSX Modules folder. There always is, you can't stop it if FSUIPC is running.

Just close FSX, find the two files, FSUIPC4.LOG and FSUIPC4.KEY in the FSX Modules folder, ZIP them together and send them as I said.

Regards

Pete

OK,I am reinstalling FSX now properly(I think).I made a complete backup of FSX before all this started.I went to my backup modules folder and all the FSUIPC4 files are there inluding a key.I did not have a key in the 4.1 I installed to FSX with SP1.If I install 4.1 into this fresh install should I just copy that key file into the new modules folder?Thanks,Ron

Peter,Here is a follow up.I may have it figured out.I just reinstalled FSX.I am going to copy my backup modules folder to fs before I install SP1.In that folder there is a FSUIPC4 key.When I click on it it asks"Are you sure you want to add the info in G(Where my backup is).fsx\modules\FSUIPC4.key to the registry?"So I should hit yes?and then if FSUIPC works I can install SP1 and then FSUIPC 4.1?Just my idea.Ron

In that folder there is a FSUIPC4 key.When I click on it it asks"Are you sure you want to add the info in G(Where my backup is).fsx\modules\FSUIPC4.key to the registry?"So I should hit yes?

No!

By coincidence, Registry update files (which used to be ".reg" files) came to be called .key files some time around when XP came out I think. But the FSUIPC.KEY file is NOT a registry update. It is simply a text file containing your Key infomation.

Do not double click it! If you want to view it, right-click on it and open it with Notepad.

Pete

Peter,Everything is working!I figured it out.I reinstalled FSX,copied my back up modules folder over and FSUIPC did not show up on FS menu.No add ons option.Installed the SP1 update,installed FSUIPC 4.1 and there it was!All options working.I guess my problem was that I installed 4.1 but did not have previous version installed on clean install.Thanks for all your help.This is always a learning experience for me.Have a great week off.Ron

Peter,Everything is working!

Good!

I figured it out.I reinstalled FSX,copied my back up modules folder over and FSUIPC did not show up on FS menu.No add ons option.

No, it won't just by copying in the Modules folder. You have to run the Installer to get the correct parameters into SimConnect's files in your "Documents and Settings". FSX is not like FS2004 -- it won't load DLLs just because they are there! This is why I had to build an Installer for the first time.

Installed the SP1 update,installed FSUIPC 4.1 and there it was!All options working.I guess my problem was that I installed 4.1 but did not have previous version installed on clean install.

Sorry, I don't know what that means. But never mind. I'm glad it is all okay now. Go fly! Enjoy!

Regards

Pete