The simFlight Network Forums

Duplicates?

I just noticed that some variables appear to be duplicated. I thought perhaps one was for older FS versions and the other not but I see no such remark.

This applies at least to the Master Battery and Master Avionics switches. They are defined with offsets in both the 0x2xxx and 0x3xxx (as an example).

Which would be the most reliable to use in such cases?

And some others such as the Master Alternator Switch is defined in the 0x3xxx offset range, it appears in FSInterrogator but does not appear listed in the Programmer's Guide. Would that mean it is not really available in FS2004? or perhaps even FSX?

I just noticed that some variables appear to be duplicated. I thought perhaps one was for older FS versions and the other not but I see no such remark.

No.

This applies at least to the Master Battery and Master Avionics switches. They are defined with offsets in both the 0x2xxx and 0x3xxx (as an example).

The single byte switches in 3102 and 3103 were implemented in FSUIPC by operating the relevant FS controls (i.e. just like using FS control assignments). The 2xxx ones are mainly derived from originally unsupported mappings directly into FS2000 or 2002, direct into FS's memory. There was a whole batch labelled "not necessarily supported ..." (in fact there's still some there, in the separate table at the nd.

Unfortunately (for me) quite a few folks used them directly so I had to move them into the supported table. So now I have to make them work in each subsequent release in any case.

Which would be the most reliable to use in such cases?

No difference.

And some others such as the Master Alternator Switch is defined in the 0x3xxx offset range, it appears in FSInterrogator but does not appear listed in the Programmer's Guide. Would that mean it is not really available in FS2004? or perhaps even FSX?

3101, alternator switch, is listed. What else are you talking about?

If you have any question about offsets it is best to actually say what the offsets are, not use "XXX" as I cannot check that.

FSX offset status is provided in a separate document available in the FSX downloads.

Regards

Pete

When I use the xxx notation as you may have noticed, is when I refer to a range. Or for that matter a generic range, ie. 0x3xxx means 0x3000 to 0x3999 in case that was not clear.

The Programmer's guide indeed lists the alternator -don't know why when I searched for it it did not come up-. However, it does not have an "OK" in the FS2004 column so I guess no use trying to use that as I am not interested in compatibility with prehistoric products (FS2002 and older).

May I ask what is the purpose of listing so many offsets with "NOT FSUIPC SUPPORTED" ? it is like saying "Candy does exist but you can't have it" LOL. I must say there is a lot of interesting stuff in that category.

• 2 weeks later...
When I use the xxx notation as you may have noticed, is when I refer to a range. Or for that matter a generic range, ie. 0x3xxx means 0x3000 to 0x3999 in case that was not clear.

Yes, I understood that. It is just that you were referring to specific entries within such a range so in order to cross-check I have to read through them. search through them to find out what you are talking about. A specific data reference needs a specific offset value, please.

The Programmer's guide indeed lists the alternator -don't know why when I searched for it it did not come up-. However, it does not have an "OK" in the FS2004 column so I guess no use trying to use that as I am not interested in compatibility with prehistoric products (FS2002 and older).

It probably works in FS2004, it's just that I haven't had time to test it and update the document. I tend to rely on feedback. Why not try it? You don't need to write a program for that, simple use FSInterrogate.

May I ask what is the purpose of listing so many offsets with "NOT FSUIPC SUPPORTED" ? it is like saying "Candy does exist but you can't have it"

Where are you referring? Originally there were some like that (all those in the second table), as they were mapped-through areas of FS memory which folks found by experimentation and consequently labelled them for me. I provided the information but could not guarantee to do the same in every version. Gradually many of those moved from that second table to the first -- the first table are all supported as far as possible in all relevant FS versions. If they don't work and folks report that I undertake to fix it. I don't undertake such for the second table, in general.

I must say there is a lot of interesting stuff in that category.

Examples? I would be very very grateful if you could try to be more specific. I cannot work on generalities. Sorry.

Regards

Pete