The simFlight Network Forums

FSUPIC and third party anti-virus program

Hi Pete,

I'm using FSUPIC 4.11 and a third party anti-virus program (GDATA Antiviruskit 2007) and have the problem Type 2 (stall) described in your FSUPIC4 ReadMe.txt. This anti-virus prgm has no device, to chance options - so I can't tell this program, to trust FSX / Simconnect. It is a double scan-engine with Kaspersky and Avast. GDATA doesn't want to change anything on this program.

So, do you have any information, if Microsoft will do changes on FSX or Simconnect to solve this problem? My hope was SP1Should I wait?

Or should I buy an alternative anti-virus program? In this case, it would be verry helpfull, to have a list of programs, which work without making this problems.

Thanks and regards

Albrecht

So, do you have any information, if Microsoft will do changes on FSX or Simconnect to solve this problem? My hope was SP1Should I wait?

I think the only hope would be if they abandoned the use of TCP/IP protocols for communicating internally, which is very unlikely (though I still hope as it seems very inefficient to do in-process), and certainly impossible for the external and network operations SimConnect is also intended for.

Or should I buy an alternative anti-virus program? In this case, it would be verry helpfull, to have a list of programs, which work without making this problems.

I use Norton Anti-Virus, and both its firewall and Windows XP firewalls without any problems ever occurring in FSX -- and I haven't had to take any special steps. Others have said AVG and Avast (?) are okay. I thought I read that Kaspersky had fixed their problems with FSX, but I couldn't swear to that. Maybe you should try making sure your software is up to date first.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

it seems to be a different problem.

Yesterday, I have unistalled GDATA Antivirenkit 2007 and installed Norton Antivirus 2007. Then I made a complete new installation of FSX, SP1 and all Add-ons (BeaverX, HelgolandX, FS Global 2008X, German Landmarks). But after this I have still the same problems with joystick controll, growing delay in response.

So today I uninstalled Norton and tried it again (without any Antivirus software): it's the same problem, seems, the reason comes from a different side.

I'll send you a copy of FSUPIC4.log, FSUPIC4 Install.log and a SimConnect.log to your email-address.

Maybe, you can see anything, which is wrong.

Thanks again for your help.

Albrecht

My Hardware:

Pentium 4, 2.39 GHz, 1024 MB

GeForce 6600

But after this I have still the same problems with joystick controll, growing delay in response.

Do you calibrate your joystick axes in FSUIPC? If so, there are work=arounds you could try:

1. Set "NoAxisIntercepts=Yes" in FSUIPC4.INI.

2. Either use only FS assignments and calibration or de-assign the axes in FSX and assign them instead in FSUIPC, using the "direct to FSUIPC" option for each. Then calibrate in FSUIPC.

I'll send you a copy of FSUPIC4.log, FSUPIC4 Install.log and a SimConnect.log to your email-address.

Okay. I'll take a look. We never managed to nail this one down enough for Microsoft to prove anything. It always seemed to be due to security hooks.

Regards

Pete

Maybe, you can see anything, which is wrong.

No, the logs show everything as if it is perfect, no problems at all.

The only possible reason I can think of for the gradually increasing latency is a pile-up of TCP/IP packets in memory, getting worse as memory fills and the swap files used.

My Hardware:

Pentium 4, 2.39 GHz, 1024 MB

GeForce 6600

Is that an old Pentium 4, really? Not a Core 2?

I must say straightaway that I do think your hardware just isn't up to FSX needs. I'm really surprised you can fly. What sort of frame rates do you see? My test machine is an old Pentium4 3.0 GHz, the slowest with hyperthreading, and it has 1536 MB memory, and although I use it for testing and debugging I could never actually fly with it!

Anyway, that is no excuse, but it may well be part of the story. For now I can only suggest the workaround I mentioned. Meanwhile I am keeping up pressure on Microsoft to try to get the use of TCP/IP bypassed for internal comms, with FSUIPC and other DLLs.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your help!

This wasn't a problem of antivirus programs or security hooks.

I've used the axis assignment from FSX.

I was to lazy, to do this with FSUPIC.

I changed this to FSUPIC and now, it works without delay in response.

Perfect!!!!

But only for a moment.

Seems, that I really need new hardware.

I have 15-17 fps.

Okay, sometimes I have to press "P" (and wait few minutes), to see the nice scenery.

And for this (scenery), I really like FSX verry much!

My computer is 2 years old.

Also my car and I would say, it is a new car.

With a 2 year old computer, one can control illumination of an aquarium...

So, next weekend, I'll find the way to a computer store (2 Quad).

Thank you verry much

and best regards

Albrecht