The simFlight Network Forums

PFC Cirrus Mooney Yoke connected via PFC Quadrant

Hello Forum Members, hello Pete!

I have the following problem. I use the PFC Cirrus Yoke connected to the Digital Throttle Quadrant Console. Within the PFC.dll in FS2004 the Axis for the Yoke are available, but unfortunately the Throttle of the Cirrus Yoke doesn't work. Does anybody know why the Throttle is not available? I'm using the latest Version of FSUIPC and PFC.dll for FS2004.

Best Regards,

Martin

I use the PFC Cirrus Yoke connected to the Digital Throttle Quadrant Console. Within the PFC.dll in FS2004 the Axis for the Yoke are available, but unfortunately the Throttle of the Cirrus Yoke doesn't work.

I've never heard of a Cirrus yoke with a throttle! Where does it fit? How does that work when the throttles are on the Throttle quadrant?

I think you probably need to direct your question on this to PFC themselves - I should think the extra throttle is superfluous.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete!

Sorry, that was my mistake, I meant the Mooney Yoke, and this have a Push-Pull Throttle... http://www.flypfc.com/oldsite/entertainooney.html.

It would be logic, that I don't need this Push-Pull Throttle, if I have the Power Quadrant, but I often fly Cessnas, which have such a Push-Pull Throttle. So it is important for me, that I can use this Throttle, if I connect the Mooney Yoke via the Cabinet Digital instead of Gameport.

Hope this declares my problem.

Regards,

Martin

So it is important for me, that I can use this Throttle, if I connect the Mooney Yoke via the Cabinet Digital instead of Gameport.

I notice it says:

If used in conjunction with a PFC flight console: These yokes can be specially wired to work with our hardware controller found only in our Flight Consoles and Throttle Quadrant Console.

Is yours specially wired? If you previously used it with a Game Port I would think that it isn't supported via the Quadrant. Maybe you'd be better off using it via the Game Port after all?

Either way, this is a question of PFC Support I'm afraid. I've never had any information about such a device. Sorry.

Regards

Pete

Ok, now it's very clear for me!

It IS a Yoke which is normally connected to the Gameport. Unfortunately the German Distributor of PFC (Verkosoft) told me, that I could connect it on the Quadrant too.

The Yoke Axis are working fine (better than on Gameport), only this Throttle doesn't work.

I wanted to change from Gameport to another Connection such USB, because Gameport Connections are very seldom on modern Soundcards and Gameport have surely no future. But sending the yoke across Europe to the German Distributor or even to PFC in USA is an expensive business.

But thank you for your helpfull hint.

Regards,

Martin

I wanted to change from Gameport to another Connection such USB, because Gameport Connections are very seldom on modern Soundcards and Gameport have surely no future.

But I am sure you can get little USB to GamePort adapters very cheaply, just as you can get USB to Serial Port adapters, and just about any other sort of adapter. Furthermore, I think you will find that, even if your current computer has a Game Port, using a USB one will be more efficient and give better results (it is certainly so for Serial Port adapters for USB).

Google for "USB Game Port". Here's one in the UK from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gembird-GameporB000K4QPYG

Regards

Pete

Furthermore, I think you will find that, even if your current computer has a Game Port, using a USB one will be more efficient and give better results (it is certainly so for Serial Port adapters for USB)

Really better? I thought that these Adapters are not so good as the Original Connector (Gameport, Serial)? Today I saw such Gameport - USB Adapter which can only switch between Gameport Joystick 1 and 2. In this case I lose the Buttons of the Yoke (1 Joystick).

Which things the Adapter (Gameport-USB and Serial-USB) must can that it works with my Yoke and Throttle Quadrant from PFC?

Do I need the PFC.dll for the Throttle Quadrant if I connect it with an USB Adapter?

By the way thank you for your patience and the Link to Amazon.

Regards,

Martin

Really better? I thought that these Adapters are not so good as the Original Connector (Gameport, Serial)?

Well, I don't have a Game Port one at present, but I use the Serial ones always in preference to a real serial port and the USB hardware part of the PC is much faster and the USB handling in Windows is far better than the serial port handling. In my experience the adapters (at least the ones I use) are far better.

I would have thought that the Game Port adapters would be even better still, as the way potentiometer settings are measured is by going around a tight loop measuring the discharge rate of a capacitor. A horrible little non-interruptible loop. Throwing that out to a little dongle on a wire seems good to me.

Today I saw such Gameport - USB Adapter which can only switch between Gameport Joystick 1 and 2. In this case I lose the Buttons of the Yoke (1 Joystick).

Look for a full implementation then. Maybe that very cheap one I found at Amazon isn't good enough. Check this one (in the US, but you should be able to find one locally):

http://www.usb-port.com/rm203.html

That seems to cope with every possible mode.

Which things the Adapter (Gameport-USB and Serial-USB) must can that it works with my Yoke and Throttle Quadrant from PFC?

Sorry, can you re-phrase that? I don't understand the question.

Do I need the PFC.dll for the Throttle Quadrant if I connect it with an USB Adapter?

Yes. The USB adapter does not change the device to a USB device as far as the PC software is concerned. It still looks like a serial port device. The adapter will get a COMx port number.

Regards

Pete

Sorry, bad english my last question... but you answered it above (look for a full implementation Adapter)

A few minutes ago I bought exactly the Adapter you gave me within the Link. I switched to Mode 3 (CH FlightStick Pro) and almost works (also the Throttle). But I've lost 2 Buttons of the Mooney Yoke. "I can't get all" *g*

I'm afraid my PFC Yoke doesn't work as it should be. I bought it 2002 and used the WinXP Driver "CH FlightSim Yoke PC", because only this one supports all 6 Buttons of the Yoke. It's sad that I can't get all to USB Adapter.

Maybe it would be better to "Rewire" the Yoke, connect it to the Throttle Quadrant and by a Serial-USB Adapter...

Regards,

Martin

I switched to Mode 3 (CH FlightStick Pro) and almost works (also the Throttle). But I've lost 2 Buttons of the Mooney Yoke. "I can't get all" *g*

Strange. The full Game Port can only provide 4 axes and 4 buttons (using all 15 wires), but the CH method (used by PFC) of decoding the 4 button lines gives up to 15 (combinations of those lines) -- with the restriction that it won't recognise more than one button pressed together.

I'm afraid my PFC Yoke doesn't work as it should be.

What, through the adapter, or direct to the Game Port too? Maybe it needs new potentiometers, or maybe a clean.

I bought it 2002 and used the WinXP Driver "CH FlightSim Yoke PC", because only this one supports all 6 Buttons of the Yoke. It's sad that I can't get all to USB Adapter.

Yes, the CH driver decodes the 4 button lines to give you more buttons -- up to 15 are possible. Won't the CH driver see the Game Port via the USB adapter? It should do.

Maybe it would be better to "Rewire" the Yoke, connect it to the Throttle Quadrant and by a Serial-USB Adapter...

If you are reasonably adept at unsoldering and re-soldering, and good at following instructions, it may be worth your while contacting PFC support in Sacramento (speak to Eric) and getting him to send you whatever is needed and instructions. It would be far cheaper than sending the kit back.

Regards

Pete

Well, directly conneted to the GamePort I use the "CH FlightSim Yoke PC" Driver and have no Problems with the exception of little Jitters if I move the Yoke - only the first few movements. I think that's "normal".

If I connect the Yoke on the Adapter I see a "4-axis, 4-button joystick w/view finder" in the Windows GameController Section. If I add the "CH FlightSim Yoke PC", I don't get a connection to the Yoke.

Your wrote that the CH Driver should see the GamePort via the USB Adapter? How? Could the Adapter be the problem?

Regards,

Martin

If I connect the Yoke on the Adapter I see a "4-axis, 4-button joystick w/view finder" in the Windows GameController Section. If I add the "CH FlightSim Yoke PC", I don't get a connection to the Yoke.

Oh. So the adapter not only provides a Game Port, it installs joystick drivers too? That's unexpected. I assumed it would just emulate the Game Port and allow you to select whatever driver you wanted. This is what happens with serial port adapters. Maybe that one is too sophisticated for its own good?

Regards

Pete