The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4 and USBAxles card

Hi Peter

The USBAxles card for OpenCockpits is not recognized from the FSUIPC4

because you tell me before 2 days maybe "their driver isn't a proper modern Windows driver and only provides the old Windows API."

I ask the producer of this card and he don`t give me clear answer of what they use the card.

The only he say is that he don`t test it with FSUIPC4.

The link for the card is the follow:

http://www.opencockpits.com/modules.phpage&pid=56

----------------------------------------------

In the test that i make i report the follow:

if assing lets say the RUDDERS with the USBaxles card in the FSX and then go to the FSUIPC Joustick Calibration menu then they recognize the RUDDER axle and when i move the rudder axle the number are change and i can calibrate the axle.

My problem is that in the USBAxle card i have and the Sterring Tiller.

And Sterring Tiller they not exist in the FSX and i can`t calibrating in the FSUICP4.

Exist any other way to do this? Any trick?

Lambis

Greece

The USBAxles card for OpenCockpits is not recognized from the FSUIPC4

because you tell me before 2 days maybe "their driver isn't a proper modern Windows driver and only provides the old Windows API."

Was this in another thread?

Since I had never heard of this card I most certainly would note simply state such a thing as I wouldn't know. didn't you say it worked with FSUIPC3 but not FSUIPC4?

The only difference between FSUIPC3 and 4 as far as Axis Assignments goes is that FSUIPC4 uses DirectInput, just like FS does, whereas FSUIPC3 uses the old Windows "joy" interface. For buttons, rather than axes, they both use the old joy interface.

The link for the card is the follow:

http://www.opencockpits.com/modules.phpage&pid=56

Well, that implies that the card looks like a standard DirectInput joystick to Windows -- it actually says "THE USBAXES CARD CONNECTS TO THE USB PORT AND IT'S AUTOMATICALLY DETECTED BY THE OPERATIVE SYSTEM AS A 5 AXLES AND 24 KEYS JOYSTICK."

So it should work fine.

And Sterring Tiller they not exist in the FSX and i can`t calibrating in the FSUICP4.

I'd like to know why you cannot use FSUIPC4's Axis Assignments. Something is wrong somewhere. It recognises all standard DirectInput devices.

Mind you, it only recognises the first 16 DirectInput devices. Might you have more than 16 already connected?

Exist any other way to do this? Any trick?

Not at present. There is a built-in nose wheel steering facility in FSX, but it doesn't appear to be exported to the Control Assignments dialogue at present.

For the other additional axes supported by FSUIPC, there are parameters in the INI file for assigning FS control numbers, so you can use an axis which is otherwise used for something else (that you don't need) in FSX. If you look in the FSUIPC4.INI file you will see them, looking like this:

FlapsSetControl=0

ReverserControl=66292

Reverser1Control=66422

Reverser2Control=66425

Reverser3Control=66428

Reverser4Control=66431

AileronTrimControl=66731

RudderTrimControl=66732

CowlFlaps1Control=66162

CowlFlaps2Control=66163

CowlFlaps3Control=66164

CowlFlaps4Control=66165

I could, perhaps add a "SteeringTillerControl" here as well. I'll have a look, see how easy it is to fit in now.

Regards

Pete

Peter

-----------------

>>>Since I had never heard of this card I most certainly would note simply state such a thing as I wouldn't know. didn't you say it worked with FSUIPC3 but not FSUIPC4?

------------------

Yes is work in the FSUIPC with the fs2004.

In the FSUIPC4 with the fsx is not working only in the Axis Assigment menu.

In the Fsx axis assigment is working fine.

Only in the Axis Assigment of the FSUIPC4 i have problem. ( when i push rescan and move the axe nothing happen).

----------------

>>>Mind you, it only recognises the first 16 DirectInput devices. Might you have more than 16 already connected?

----------------

No i don`t have so many inputs.

--------------

I could, perhaps add a "SteeringTillerControl" here as well. I'll have a look, see how easy it is to fit in now.

-------------

Thanks Peter,make it when you have free time.

You suggest me to re-install the fsx? Maybe something wrong?

Lambis

Greece

Thanks Peter,make it when you have free time.

I've already added the SteeringTillerControl=n parameter and will test it tomorrow.

You suggest me to re-install the fsx? Maybe something wrong?

No. The only thing I can think of is that the way it is added to the Registry is different. For DirectInput devices I have to get an ID (a "GUID", and I search certain parts of the Registry for these. Maybe my method isn't general enough.

Perhaps, if you don't mind using RegEdit, you could export me the registry entries for your joysticks. Run Regedit from the Run option (Start -- Run). This is the area I look in:

WinXP: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput

Vista: Same but in HKCU instead of HKLM.

If you could export that section (to a REG file) then ZIP it up and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com, maybe I'll find out what is wrong.

In case you are interested, within that section I look deeper, to VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy\Calibration (where xxxx is the Mid and yyyy is the Pid of the device (in hex), from the normal Joy interface). Inside there I check that the "Joystick Id" parameter matches the "joy" interface ID, and if so read the "GUID" value, which, at last, enables me to use the device.

Maybe you could also run the attached JoyView program, please. Find the right device (out of the 16 listed), and tell me which it is (1-16), and the Mid and Pid (in the joyGetDevCaps section).

Regards

Pete

joyview.zip

Just tell me what to do.

I am part way through making some changes to give me more information, but there is one thing you can check beforehand, please.

Without FS running, go to the Windows Control Panel, select System, then Hardware - Device Manager.

Look for the USB Root Hubs. Right click on each in turn, selecting "Properties" then "Power Management". Make sure the option "Allow the computer to turn off the device ..." is NOT checked.

The reason I am saying this is that if the device has been "turned off" when you load FSX, the DirectInput device scan I do initially will not find it. And currently I don't re-scan (because the only reason for that scan is to obtain the GUID (identifying the device) so it can be Acquired, and you only do this once).

With the older Windows joystick interface there was none of that complication and any device could be seen at any time.

Let me know if this answers the problem please, before I go to any more trouble with the Logging I'm adding.

I may make FSUIPC4 re-scan when FSX is running. Not sure when to do it though -- I don't want to impact performance by doing it in normal flight. Maybe only on entry to the FSUIPC Options, or only the Axis assignment tab. At least then if they do "go to sleep" you can get them recognised again without restarting FSX.

Regards

Pete

I un-check the "Allow the computer to turn off the device ..."

But still nothing./quote]

Oh. Shame.

Because the Registry looks fine.

I am about to send you a test version of FSUIPC with extra logging for the acquisition of the joystick. If that shows everything okay, it is going to be more difficult to work out.

Pete