The simFlight Network Forums

simconnect prob

Hi Peter,

Don't lnow if this is right forum but give it a try anyway.Trying to use the new FSXPlanner prog wich connects to FSX now via simconnect.Instructions are to put the simconnect.xml file in the FSX folder {you know the one where also reside dll.xml and exe.xml}Below I pasted the xml text.Ok the fsxplanner works, it connects to FSX but the prob is the moment that cimconnect.xml is in the fsx folder I lose my addons menu and thus joystick since assigned via fsuipc{latest and registered} nor does that goflicht exe for my radios,flaps and trim no longer work;that prig loads cause I have an icon in sys tray but GoFlight modules stay blank and finaly when trying to load my leveld plane I get an error sying simconnect session open failure.When I remove that simconnect.xml file from the FSX folder all is back to normal again.

Any light on this maybe?

Regards...Marc

PS I tried to get a simconnect log file like described in sticky but for some obscure reason I don't see one in the c:\root {I'm using Vista 32,FSX withSP1 latest fsuipc version registered goflight radio and flaps/gear module and addons leveld 767 }

Simconnect.xml text:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

SimConnect

SimConnect.xml

False

False

IPv4

local

False

False

IPv4

local

False

False

IPv4

global

False

FSUIPC log:

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.126 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name="Marc Geerts"

User Addr="post.marc@telenet.be"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

Running inside FSX on Windows Vista (SimConnect SP1 May07)

Module base=61000000

DebugStatus=15

78 System time = 10:24:12

78 FLT UNC path = "C:\Users\Marc\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

78 FS UNC path = "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

1217 LogOptions=00000001

1326 Failed on SimConnect_Open, return = 0x80004005: FSUIPC4 cannot operate!

16364 **** Retrying SimConnect connection****

16458 Failed on SimConnect_Open, return = 0x80004005: FSUIPC4 cannot operate!

31465 **** Retrying SimConnect connection****

31574 Failed on SimConnect_Open, return = 0x80004005: FSUIPC4 cannot operate!

51855 **** Retrying SimConnect connection****

51948 Failed on SimConnect_Open, return = 0x80004005: FSUIPC4 cannot operate!

66971 **** Retrying SimConnect connection****

67065 Failed on SimConnect_Open, return = 0x80004005: FSUIPC4 cannot operate!

84209 System time = 10:25:37

84209 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 2 Allocs, 2 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

Trying to use the new FSXPlanner prog wich connects to FSX now via simconnect.Instructions are to put the simconnect.xml file in the FSX folder

You only need that file when using Simconnect programs on a Networked PC, remote from FSX.

When I remove that simconnect.xml file from the FSX folder all is back to normal again.

And doesn't this "FSXplanner" program then work okay on that PC?

False

IPv4

local

False

Try putting "Auto" in for the protocol there rather than "IPv4".

False

IPv4

local

False

I really don't understand why you'd need two "local" sections. If this one is overriding the previous one, then the explicit port definition will certainly mess up the other local connections. Try just taking it out. I'm sure local SimConnect connections do not have an explicit port capability -- there's no way the code called directly by the applications can set it or know about it in any case.

Possibly it just might work if there were also a SimConnect.cfg file in your Documents folder which SimConnect.dll referred to, thus obtaining the specific Port number. But still you'd only need the one local section I think.

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter,

Thx for the reply.

Ok if I do remove the sinconnect.xml file all is ok and fsxplanner works but won't connect to FSX.If I delete last portion{remote} from it still same prob.So the moment there's that simconnect.xml file in the FSX folder things stuff up.

Yes there is a simconnect.cfg file {see text below} wich is in the local fsxplanner folder{the folder where to I unzipped downloadaed file }.Maybe that cfg file needs to go some place else?

Regards...Marc

Simconnect.cfg:

[simConnect.0]

Protocol=IPv4

Address=10.1.0.6

Port=48447

MaxReceiveSize=4096

DisableNagle=0

[simConnect.2]

Protocol=IPv4

Address=10.1.0.6

Port=48447

MaxReceiveSize=4096

DisableNagle=0

[simConnect.6]

Protocol=IPv6

Address=fe80::217:31ff:fe16:e986

Port=48447

Ok if I do remove the sinconnect.xml file all is ok and fsxplanner works but won't connect to FSX.

On the same PC? Remove the SimConnect.cfg file too.

If you mean on the remote PC, then, of course, it won't work without a SimConnect.xml file, but that file needs the default Local section (no "Port") and your Global section.

If I delete last portion{remote} from it still same prob.

I did not suggest removing the "Global" section at all!! However, having tried that for some reason, the result implies you are talking about using FSXPlanner on the remote PC!? So you don't need that second local section at all. Try deleting that, as I suggested before.

So the moment there's that simconnect.xml file in the FSX folder things stuff up.

No, it isn't that there is such a file, it is only the contents of that file which are wrong. Please do as I suggested in the first place.

Yes there is a simconnect.cfg file {see text below} wich is in the local fsxplanner folder{the folder where to I unzipped downloadaed file }.Maybe that cfg file needs to go some place else?

Only if (a) this is a remote PC you are talking about (you've never said), and also there are other SimConnect programs on that PC you want to run. If there are it needs to be in your "my documents" folder.

You do NOT want or need a SimConnect.cfg anywhere on the FSX PC.

BTW Don't the suppliers of this "FSXplanner" program provide any support at all?

Pete

Hi Peter,

Thx anyway for ur help.I know this isn't prob the right place but I got the idea that the people on the planner forum aren't exactly sure what they are doing or how things work.So I gave it a try here anyway.

So yes I only use one pc.So if I understand correctly I need neither xml nore cfg filed for thar simconnect?

Rely THX AGAIN for ur much appreciated help.

Regards...Marc

So yes I only use one pc.So if I understand correctly I need neither xml nore cfg filed for thar simconnect?

Correct.

Rely THX AGAIN for ur much appreciated help.

Okay. Please let me know if it works with neither file.

Maybe I should look at this "fsxplanner" program? Is it useful?

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter,

I think i tried everything now also without neither file but to no avail.That FSXPlanner works fine, the prob is the connection with FSX.I tried to attach the prog before but too big.It's a new {bete} prog afcad like to edit airports.When connected to FSX I planned to use it as kinda moving map also at airports where I don't know my way around and when flying online I could find way to RW or sate when instructed by atc.And ofcorse to edit airports connected to FSX to exactly put things in.Like I said the prog itself works fine but the connection with FSX to get airplane position is a mess { for me at least}.Let me give you the url so maybe you can take a look at it and come up with a solution?;>}

http://www.zbluesoftware.com/fsxplanner/

Regards...Marc

Hi Peter,

It's me once more.I sawour post at the planner forum from wich I can maybe understand yorogram out and know how to get it working connection included?I'm interested in a realy step by step instruction how to since I only read those Dummies books lol :wink: .Where to put what and so on?I even can give you my email if wanted.

I know it's still just a beta but it looks promissing.I'm eager to lrarn.

Regards ...Marc

.Like I said the prog itself works fine but the connection with FSX to get airplane position is a mess { for me at least}.

I don't know what they have done to make it such a mess. There are plenty of SimConnect client programs and none of them need either the SimConnect.xml nor the SimConnect.cfg files for a reliable connection -- they are most definitely primarily forgetting programs to connect over a Network.

Let me give you the url so maybe you can take a look at it and come up with a solution?;>}

I do now have the program, but have I've really not got time to try today. Maybe later this week, or early next week. But if I find it doesn't work with default connection to FSX it is not I that can fix it, but the programmers. As you will see in their own Forum I have pointed out that it is more complex than necessary and suggested they simplify it.

When I get a chance to try it I will let you know how I fare --- assuming they don't have a better version available by then!

Regards

Pete

Thx Peter, much appreciated.

After reading your post at the planner forum maybe it's yet an other idea to run fsuipc installer after putting the planner xml in the FSX folder and see what happens and else wait for an improved version of the planner.

Regards...Marc

... wait for an improved version of the planner.

I've just tried the program, on the same PC as FSX, and honestly I don't know what they've doneit looks designed to work properly on a Networked PC. But even then it is wierd, as when you ask it to connect it displays an (editable) IP address and Port to useI don't know anywhere in the SimConnect interface where this can be defined outside of the SimConnect files (XML and CFG), and I don't understand the need for them. The SimConnect DLL refers to those files and uses the settings there.

Maybe they don't use the SimConnect DLL, but have somehow worked out how to bypass that application-interface part of FSX and are going direct to the SimConnect server port inside FSX itself.

Anyway, the result is that they appear to need the XML file (not the CFG file) in order for it to work on the same PC as FSX. All I did was this:

1. Install the contents of the FSXplanner ZIP into a folder ("FSXplanner").

2. Copy the SimConnect.xml file to the same folder as the FSX.CFG file (which is where it must go for FSX to see it). This will be your Document and Settings folder, under \Application Data\Microsoft\FSX, assuming you are using WinXP -- it is a little different on Vista.

3. Delete the SimConnect.cfg file.

I ran FSX, then the planner, told it to connect (with its default IP address and Port), and it did. FSUIPC4 was still running okay -- the Add-Ons folder was still there.

Even though this does work, it would still be best, for the future, to edit the SimConnect.xml file and change the protocol in the "default local" section from "IPv4" to "Auto".

Regards

Pete

Hi Peter,

A last update maybe.Did exactly as you described but for me to no avail.Prob persists.FSXPlanner works even connected to FSX but then it's like something prohibits any other communication to FSX the moment I put the xml file in the fsx folder.That means like I stated before:no addons menu,by which no joystick activity,and no com radio communication even though I see the icon of goflight prog in systemtray.As soon as I remove the xml file all goes back to normal.

So I start to think there might be something wrong with my system.Guess I'll have to do a complete re-install at some point.But for now it'll have to do like it is.In the end I can live without FSXPlanner lol.

But anyway thank you SO MUCH for all your troubble and your patience with me.

Regards...Marc

PS:Had same prob with the new fsuipc version,FSX hanging {in my case the moment I touched joystick}.But that already happened to me with the 4.126 version for which I got a workaround by letting it make a new ini file.But anyway allis ok now with new 4.151 version.

... it's like something prohibits any other communication to FSX the moment I put the xml file in the fsx folder.That means like I stated before

Hmm. No idea then -- check that there's no SimConnect.CFG file in your "My Documents" folder. I can't think of anything else. Sorry.

Pete

... it's like something prohibits any other communication to FSX the moment I put the xml file in the fsx folder.That means like I stated before

Okay, I've found a way you can connect FSXplanner without either the SimConnect.xml or the SimConnect.cfg file.

I have done some research on the Port being used, by default, by SimConnect for its default local connection. It seems to choose one at random, usually in the 1000-4000 range. There are tools to tell you what ports are open at any time (and who by).

The tool I used is "OpenPort":

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Netwnload.html

which is a freeware one.

Download and install that. Then run FSX. When it is ready, run OpenPort. You will get several ports opened by FSX.EXE. If you have my WideFS enabled there will be the default WideFS ones (8002 and 9002), but there will be one for local address 127.0.0.1 and remote address 0.0.0.0. Its connection state will be "LISTEN". The local port number for that is the one you need.

Load FSXplanner, go to the Simconnect connection status window and enter the port number there, then press Connect.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thx for following up.I been checking the planner site aswell.But I start thinking my system must haunted lol.

Now when I try that openport tool I get only two collums with result:protocoll{which all are TCP} and PID{two times 81.465.166.201and ten times 0.0.0.0}All other collums stay empty.I think I tried everything possible to get results.

Only last thing I can think off is that because I use VISTA 32 something gets blocked are messed up.Slowly starting to go insane lol.Only comfort is that I noticed on the planner forum that I'm not alone.

Regards ...Marc

Only last thing I can think off is that because I use VISTA 32 something gets blocked are messed up.

Ahmaybe that program is not compatible with Vista. Sorry.

I think that with the next version of SimConnect (with the next FSX update) you will not have any of these problems. Patience till then I think ...

Regards

Pete

Only last thing I can think off is that because I use VISTA 32 something gets blocked are messed up.Slowly starting to go insane lol.Only comfort is that I noticed on the planner forum that I'm not alone.

What happened to me and I see rarely mentioned is, that when you install the SDK with the default path, and is on an OTHER drive than FSX (SDK defaults to C:\program Files etc., you're never are asked for it), your (mine) simconnect does Not Work, or worse, Badly, like disappearing menu items.

You might want to chk configSDK.exe in the SDK directory, that I havent used, it will ask to fix the FSX PATH, but what I did was uninstall SDK and reinstall with the OPTION at the BOTTOM of the first screen (forgot the button name, but its inappropriate) that leads to define the SDK install PATH.

And then use the same drive as FSX.

my 2cents MT

Vista FSX SP1 FSUIPC 4.152

What happened to me and I see rarely mentioned is, that when you install the SDK with the default path, and is on an OTHER drive than FSX (SDK defaults to C:\program Files etc., you're never are asked for it), your (mine) simconnect does Not Work, or worse, Badly, like disappearing menu items.

Actually the installation of the SDK should not in any way affect an installed FSX or SimConnect version, as it does not change any of that -- the SDK only supplies additional components.

There are, of course, additional MS add-in DLLs like the TrafficToolBox which come as part of the SDK -- these need the DLL.XML file editing to point to wherever you installed the SDK components.

Regards

Pete

Actually the installation of the SDK should not in any way affect an installed FSX or SimConnect version, as it does not change any of that -- the SDK only supplies additional components.

There are, of course, additional MS add-in DLLs like the TrafficToolBox which come as part of the SDK -- these need the DLL.XML file editing to point to wherever you installed the SDK components.

Regards

Pete

shouldnt but it does. Bad path, OR my simconnect works via my noteboek (for ASX) but menu is GONE, OR menu NOT gone and Simconnect doesnt work.

In theory this shouldnt do this.

But it did (only took me like 100 hours to figure out this stupid error).

This Idea of creating a really clever porting is a nice dream, but when it isnt bomb proof, and anybody and everybody starts writing gadgeds while these are broken easily .. makes for quite a lot of knightmares .. and there is an eeeennnndless string of them in the newsgroups.

Been there .. its awfull .. and its bad design (or rather an superficially tested roll-out, MS as usual).

Even when we speak my screen got srambled with more than one util running on my Notebook at once.

Have simconnect running and off course FSUIPC and FSInn and Widefs and half of them betas and Vista drivers for my Nvideo an unknown liablity, and Acrobat being Upgraded every other day, and Vista patched every other day, and FSCommander doing undefined screen behaviour, and never knowing whats stable and whats not, and and and and and

It will work next time / next dozen patches / next dozen headaches .. ah well. I just made it to the gate :D Engines off and close the IFR.

MT