The simFlight Network Forums

New Module to replace FSUIPC

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi All,

I just found on the avsim.com website that there is a FREEWARE FS module which has many of the same features as FSUIPC and is already FS2004 compatible.

:D :D :D :D :D

I just found on the avsim.com website that there is a FREEWARE FS module which has many of the same features as FSUIPC and is already FS2004 compatible.

That's great! So I can stop work on FSUIPC and go do something else? At last! This saves me a *lot* of painful work!

Pete

Pete,

you better continiue working!! :lol:

Some people maybe haven´t read carefully enough!

This module connects to FS - true! but there are many limitations and it will never be this usefull as FSUIPC is!

Please read:

"Unfortunately, FSConnect does not provide any access to weather info. Only what is provided in the Panels & Gauges SDK, which is basically user aircraft information.

Russ Dirks"

posted in the Forum

So, I´m personally waiting for the FSUIPC and WideFS to be ready for FS2004 and thats it!

Hopefully it will be released before I get the copy of the new Sim :roll:

Best Regards and good luck!!

Holger

Hi All,

:D :D :D :D :D

Well before you start jumping up and down perhaps you ought to think about this a little more.

Let's say Pete now decides to call-it-a-day and shelve FSUIPC. What happens to all those addons you currently use when you upgrade o FS2004? I can tell you, they won't work!! Not even if you installed this new module!!

My own programs would need a considerable amount of re-coding to use this new module and if I had to spend that much developement time on them I would be selling them as completely new versions too... no free upgrades.... and I'd guess the majority of developers would have to do the same.

As a user I'd much prefer to purchase FSUIPC and as a developer I most definately do not want to see FSUIPC discontinued!!

Of course there's a place for this new module and it will probably suit the freeware developers more so than others, although currently it doesn't offer anywhere near the same amount of features as FSUIPC. Obviously that may change in the future.

Guest norbert bosch

As far as I know FSconnect can only read from FS and NOT write to FS.

So it is certainly not the same as FSUIPC

Norbert Bosch

Hello Pete - 1st post - have never had a need - just enjoyed browsing

The 1st two posts in this thread must indeed be good news for you - let the rabbits try this "new" product and then they will maybe see the need to PAY for your excellent product - if not then who cares - at least that will perhaps mean less idiot remarks for you to deal with

Have a good day

Guest Guest BobS

Norbert - FYI,

You certainly have not downloaded the FSconnect or tested it and yet you comment. It will write to FS2002. How else is the demo moving the aircraft to the new position you enter in the demo lon/lat? BFM?

Regards,

BobS

You certainly have not downloaded the FSconnect or tested it and yet you comment. It will write to FS2002. How else is the demo moving the aircraft to the new position you enter in the demo lon/lat?

I looked at it. Yes, that's all it does write-wise at present, but I expect the author can add more. Basically it is doing something anyone with the Microsoft Panels SDK can do, by writing a Gauge. In fact there have been gauges which do something similar in the past. Converting a Gauge to a full Module is not hard, but you have to take precautions not to invoke the Panels interface when it isn't ready, like before a Panel is loaded or whilst an aircraft is being loaded/reloaded. It is easy to crash FS otherwise.

Using the Atom name itself to pass the information back, rather than shared memory via mapped files, is a clever idea, though it does mean it is a bit limited in performance terms -- if you want a whole sheaf of data (for a full cockpit, say) it would mean many messages per frame, and hence many process swaps -- it could therefore be quite inefficient for that I think. Maybe he will develop this a little too. It will be interesting to watch it develop.

All the variables it supports are panel tokens. I don't know why he's only supporting the position writing at present, you can write a *lot* more than that via the Gauges interface.

This subset of the information and facilities FSUIPC offers will no doubt be useful to some. But I expect that if the author goes as far as FSUIPC does and spends the time needed to do this (many months full time) he'd probably wish he hadn't started (like I have several times ), or find it necessary to make some income from it to compensate for not having time to spend earning a living elsewhere! But perhaps not. We'll see ...

Thanks for pointing the module out to me, in any case, I am always interested in these things. I'm sure one day I'll be able to withdraw, but maybe even then I shall have to hand over the code ownership too.

Regards,

Pete

How else is the demo moving the aircraft to the new position you enter in the demo lon/lat? BFM?

Regards,

BobS

Oh, no, definitely not. BFM is a proprietary technology of Microsoft Corporation. ;-)

After the first full-featured add-on is fielded using FSConnect, then we can have this discussion. For now it's just another interesting--and untested--idea...

Cheers

Bob Scott

ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

Guest KMCI
As far as I know FSconnect can only read from FS and NOT write to FS.

So it is certainly not the same as FSUIPC

Norbert Bosch

I have fs2004 and fsnav will not work with it as yet... I put the version 2975 in and it say i need to goto petes page to get update? where is it

Sorry, you are a little mixed up here I fear. FSNav does not use FSUIPC and is not related to it. You wil have to wait for the FSNav author to release an FS2004 version.

FSUIPC version 2.975 was finished and released long before FS2004 and cannot possibly have any chance of supporting it. Version 3 of FSUIPC will support FS2004 and will be released around about the same time as the official release date of FS2004 (29th July 2003 as far as I know).

Pete