The simFlight Network Forums

Will I need a new WIN XP license for WideFS

If I would like to use WideFs so I can run Active Sky and Radarcontact 4 on a second computer what would I need?

What would be the system requirements for the secondary computer? Most important will I need Win XP? Or is theere a possibility to have this work under a Linux setup? I'm in the first place thinking about FS9 but I'm also curious about the abswer for FSX?

If I would like to use WideFs so I can run Active Sky and Radarcontact 4 on a second computer what would I need?

A WideFS access Key, the package itself, FSUIPC, and of course your second PC linked to the FS PC by a local Network.

What would be the system requirements for the secondary computer?

Nothing extraordinary, as neither of those programs is either a processor or video hog. You need sound for Radar Contact of course, and an internet connection for Active Sky downloads.

Most important will I need Win XP?

Or Windows98 or Win2000 or Vista. Not NT.

Or is theere a possibility to have this work under a Linux setup?

Only if you have a Windows emulator which could run WideClient, ActiveSky and Radar Contact.

I'm in the first place thinking about FS9 but I'm also curious about the abswer for FSX?

Same for both, though if you move to ASX for FSX you'd not be using WideFS for that.

Regards

Pete

What would be the system requirements for the secondary computer?

Nothing extraordinary, as neither of those programs is either a processor or video hog. You need sound for Radar Contact of course, and an internet connection for Active Sky downloads.

So a AMD 2400XP with 512M RAM would be fine.

Most important will I need Win XP?

Or Windows98 or Win2000 or Vista. Not NT.

Windows 98? Maybe WideFS but can Active Sky and RC run under that?

Or is theere a possibility to have this work under a Linux setup?

Only if you have a Windows emulator which could run WideClient, ActiveSky and Radar Contact.

From what I know there are Windows emulators available. Question will they be able to run the needed software?

Also for RC can I not use the sound on the primary computer and just have RC send the needed information over WideFS?

don't see why not, but you'd need to check about Active Sky.

From what I know there are Windows emulators available. Question will they be able to run the needed software?

Probably not.

Also for RC can I not use the sound on the primary computer and just have RC send the needed information over WideFS?

No, unless you don't want to hear the ATC which makes it rather pointless. RC produces its own sound, it doesn't use FS. One of the biggest benefits of having ATC on a separate PC is that the sound is separate, so you can use a headset, for instance.

Pete

I doubt very mainly because .NET Framework v1.1 is required. Otherwise they state in the readme file

'Windows XP (Other OS versions may work but have not been officially tested)'

Probably not.

I have heard that people have failed running FS9 under Linux even after trying hard. That don't surprises me but AS and RC (also forget FSflying school) are no advanced games so shouldn't there be better hope?

No, unless you don't want to hear the ATC which makes it rather pointless. RC produces its own sound, it doesn't use FS. One of the biggest benefits of having ATC on a separate PC is that the sound is separate, so you can use a headset, for instance.

Pete

I doubt very mainly because .NET Framework v1.1 is required. Otherwise they state in the readme file

'Windows XP (Other OS versions may work but have not been officially tested)'

Probably not.

I have heard that people have failed running FS9 under Linux even after trying hard. That don't surprises me but AS and RC (also forget FSflying school) are no advanced games so shouldn't there be better hope?

Pete

Hmmm ...

... so shouldn't there be better hope?

Sorry, no idea at all on that. I don't know Linux nor do I know how good the emulators are.

BTW, it is quite difficult to find your replies amongst all this. I don't think you've quite got the hang of the "quote" facility? Maybe you could just do plain messages in future? ;-)

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hmmm ...

Sorry, no idea at all on that. I don't know Linux nor do I know how good the emulators are.

BTW, it is quite difficult to find your replies amongst all this. I don't think you've quite got the hang of the "quote" facility? Maybe you could just do plain messages in future? ;-)

Regards

Pete

That's completely true. I'm unable to use the tricky quote facality :? :x and my posts don't end up like I wan't them.

Otherwise I stated that I doubt that AS 6.5 will work under Win 98 since as far as I know we can't have the .NET framework in it (or in Linux or Win 2000 I suspect).

Otherwise I have found an old Windows 2000 Professional CD beta release canditate 2. What could the chances be here?

Otherwise I have found an old Windows 2000 Professional CD beta release canditate 2. What could the chances be here?

Chances for what? If it is a Microsoft Beta release of some old Win2000 version, then the chances that you can use it at all are pretty slim. Its Beta period will have expired.

Are you short of a proper copy of Windows and this is the only reason you are resorting to a (free?) Linux?

Regards

Pete

Chances for what? If it is a Microsoft Beta release of some old Win2000 version, then the chances that you can use it at all are pretty slim. Its Beta period will have expired.

Are you short of a proper copy of Windows and this is the only reason you are resorting to a (free?) Linux?

Regards

Pete

Answer YES.