The simFlight Network Forums

Wide FS Question?

I have registered versions of: FSUIPC and WideFS for FS2004. I also have a registered FSUIPC for FSX. Do i still need tet another registered version of WideFS for FSX?

Yes. Your client installations remain the same for both, but the WideFS7 key unlocks the WideServer part now built into FSUIPC4.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

Okay, i now have 4 licences; 2 for FS9 & 2 for FSX. FS9 FSUIPC and WideFS are working a treat – no probs there.

However, I can’t get my FSX versions hooked up. All apps are registered, and the FSX networking structure is the same as for FS9. I can SEE the FSX folder as a mapped drive, but Wide Client just sits at ‘Waiting for a connection’ after lanching FSX on server.

Guess i’m missing the obvious, i just need a ‘grown-up’ to point me in the right direction :lol:

Thanks Phil

However, I can’t get my FSX versions hooked up. All apps are registered, and the FSX networking structure is the same as for FS9. I can SEE the FSX folder as a mapped drive, but Wide Client just sits at ‘Waiting for a connection’ after lanching FSX on server.

Have you enabled WideServer in FSUIPC4 options? In Windowed mode, does the FSX title bar show that WideServer is waiting for clients?

I'd need to see the WideServer and WideClient logs. Those are text files produced showing whether things are okay or errors are occurring. Maybe the FSUIPC4 log as well please.

Regards

Pete

OK let's see how to attach this zip file.. There's two of each in it Pete.

Okay. Everything is running fine, and the Client is seeing the Server. But the Server never sees anything from the Client. So the most likely problem is a firewall block on the Server. See if can set your firewall to allow FSX/FSUIPC to receive connections on Port 8002.

Regards

Pete

Still works fine with FS9 too.

Ah, I missed that fact. If, using the same versions of Windows it works with FS9 and not with FSX it can't be a firewall problem.

The last time I heard of anything like this was when someone configured ASX on a client PC to use port 8002 for Simconnect. You don't have any remote programs using SimConnect, do you?

You could try a different port in WideFS -- you'd need to set "Port=xxxx" in the [WideServer] section of FSUIPC4.INI and in the [Config] section of the WideClient.INI. Of course if you then use the same WideClient for FS9 you'd need to do the same in the WideServer.INI for FS9.

I can't think of anything else other than an unavailable port.

Regards

Pete

This goes from bad to worse. In despair, i removed all FSUIPC and WideFS installations, thinking maybe a bad file or the like.

All now reinstalled and reregistered, but now not working for either FS9 or FSX!

This isn't me screaming for help Pete - I'll keep tinkering and will, i'm sure, get there in the end. Will keep you posted.

P

Pete, just to save me searching through the docs again, am i right in assuming a flight must be loaded before any connections can be made? For checking purposes - i normally load and wait for a flight before being certain the connection has failed.

Yes. WideFS starts when the system is ready -- i.e. in flight mode, ready to fly.

Pete

Ho, Hum..... Back to where i started. FS9 now connecting fine to WideFS, but FSX and WideFS just aren't friends in my house.

There's literally zero difference in the code for WideFS in FSX and FS9. All I did for FSX, because of the installation difficulties with SimConnect loading, and to make things tighter, more efficient, was to incorporate the WideServer code into FSUIPC4.

Therefore the difference must be that something, in FSX or added to FSX, is blocking WideServer's reception of client requests. As far as I know FSX only uses TCP/IP for SimConnect, Multiplayer and weather downloads -- but the latter is common to FS9 too.

Have you actually tried a different port like I suggested? You've not said yet.

Pete

What does the red text mean in lay speak Pete?

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.20] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 20/12/07, Time 21:42:19.573: Server name is PHIL-MAINPC

15507 Initialising TCP/IP server

15507 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15507 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

15507 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server 15507 Initialising UDP/IP server

16146 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

48891 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 25 alloc, 24 free

Read buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Write buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Throughput maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********