The simFlight Network Forums

FSX: ATC Dialog and FSUIPC4 Keypress

Hi,

I've just migrated from FS2004 to FSX and as my old VB6 program using FSUIPC3 and FS98Class.dll is no longer running on Vista, I use now FSUIPC4 Keypress facility to set autopilot.

It works very well.... until the ATC Windows opens! Is it a normal thing?

In FSX, you can only affect keys to increase or decrease Autopiot Heading (not Alt, Course, Speed) but it works well, even when the ATC window is opened. Why FSUIPC4 Keypress can't operate when this window is opened (and this can open at anytime when ATC calls you)?

I hope it can be solve...

Regards,

Skip.

Okay... My question is still up to date but the need has gone! I was taking an old release of my copilot VB6 program which was using both FSUIPC and Fs98class.dll. The latest release is full FSUIPC and seems to work very well with Fsx, Vista and FSUIPC4.

Skipy.

It seems that the ATC windows when opened hooks all FSUIPC keypress commands (but not FSX ones)...It's new with FSX! Hope it can be solve?

I'm not sure if it got corrected in FSX SP2 (have you installed the FSX updates?), but it was a known bug in FSX that when an ATC window is open some of the keypresses (notably most of those using the numeric keypad) don't work. This is actually disastrous for keyboard fliers as thoseinclude all the main flight controls.

It certainly doesn't make any difference at all HOW the keypress arrives -- whether from the real keyboard or from FSUIPC or other programs.

Of course the best way of using FSUIPC assignments anyway is to use FS controls, never key pressess. Why don't you use controls?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

At first, thanks for your quick answer. I've got the FSX Acceleration Pack so SP2 is applied.

I'm using FSUIPC keypress feature with my own VB6 programm (first release was with fs2k) mainly to control Fs Autopilot and Freqs. For example to change heading I press CTRL-X XXX (new heading), Altitude CTL-V XXX (new FL), VOR1 freq change CTRL-N XXXXX (new freq without dot), VOR2 CTRL-MMy program also reads special keys to say surface wind, checklists, .... I'm also using FSUIPC4 direct keypress feature to toggle and set traffic density (it seems that zapping an airport vehicule doesn't work?).

So I understand it's an FSX issue you can't fix in FSUIPC4. I 've unset ATC window automatic opening in FSX so it doesn't interupt me antlonger entering a new heading or altitude.

Regards,

Skip.

PS: It would be great if we can define and run external programs from FSUIPC/FSX Menu.

I'm using FSUIPC keypress feature with my own VB6 programm (first release was with fs2k) mainly to control Fs Autopilot and Freqs. For example to change heading I press CTRL-X XXX (new heading), Altitude CTL-V XXX (new FL), VOR1 freq change CTRL-N XXXXX (new freq without dot), VOR2 CTRL-M

These keypresses are picked up by YOUR program, you mean? you aren't sending them to FSUIPC or FSX?

I'm also using FSUIPC4 direct keypress feature to toggle and set traffic density

Er, traffic density changing in FSUIPC is an added FSUIPC control, not an FS keypress or control.

I'm afraid I am now thoroughly confused about what it is you are doing and what you think is going wrong.

(it seems that zapping an airport vehicule doesn't work?

It will if that vehicle is an AI aircraft. FSUIPC doesn't know anything about other vehicles, or road traffic either.

So I understand it's an FSX issue you can't fix in FSUIPC4.

If you mean something about keypresses not getting through when the ATC window is open, because it eats them, yes. If you mean can FS controls be sent for FS to action when the ATC window is open, yes they can, the ATC window has no effect on controls.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

I think my english isn't good enough.... My program is using FSUIPC to read keypress from FS and perform some action, exactly as native FSUIPC keypress feature does. Both keypress functions don't work when ATC window is opened and it's a FSX issue (it was OK with earlier versions).

Thanks for all.

Skip.

Morning Pete, and Happy New Year!

Yes, it's the "Hotkeys for application" feature as it is written in the "FSUIPC for Programmers" guide. Both these hotkeys and FSUIPC Keypress (see below) are affected by ATC window.

[Keys]

46=221,10,1008,99

48=221,9,1008,50

54=221,8,1079,0

56=223,10,1009,0

Regards,

Skip.

Yes, it's the "Hotkeys for application" feature as it is written in the "FSUIPC for Programmers" guide. Both these hotkeys

Right. So the ATC window is hooking keypresses before FSUIPC can see them. That will be happening because presumably it inserts its hook when it appears and removes it when it closes, whereas FSUIPC does it when it starts up.

and FSUIPC Keypress (see below) are affected by ATC window.

Well, yes, 221 and 223 are i think related to opening and closing added Windows such as the ATC one so it is probably seeing those first too. I know it steals most of the NUMPAD ones (96-105).

Regards

Pete