The simFlight Network Forums

Throttles/Flaps already on during startup

When I start up any plane I find that the throttles are already on and the flaps are also set to a position. If I use the 747 The flaps are at about 10 degrees and enough power to start moving. To get out of this I have to move the levers from their zero position to any setting and then back to the zero position and all is okay till the next time.

I have done the calibration through FSUIPC for all the axis but cant find a way to avoid this.

If I dont use FSUIPC and use the axis in FSX then it works fine but does not give me what I want in the way of reversers.

Anyone know how to force these initial values to zero on startup?

When I start up any plane I find that the throttles are already on and the flaps are also set to a position.

Sounds like those settings are loading from your "start up" flight. Just set everything they way you want to start, then save a flight flagging it as the start-up one.

I have done the calibration through FSUIPC for all the axis but cant find a way to avoid this.

FSUIPC only acts on axis inputs when they change. Your initial positions are set by your start-up flight.

Regards

Pete

When I start up any plane I find that the throttles are already on and the flaps are also set to a position.

Sounds like those settings are loading from your "start up" flight. Just set everything they way you want to start, then save a flight flagging it as the start-up one.

FSUIPC only acts on axis inputs when they change. Your initial positions are set by your start-up flight.

Regards

Pete

Okay tried this. Loaded the default Cessna and set throttle to zero and flaps to up. Then saved these back as the default flight.

However I still have the same issue. The throttles are on and the flaps are about 1/2 way as soon as I load the plane and stay that way until I move any lever. As soon as I do that everything goes back to where it should be. Only have to move 1 lever to affect the lot.

Okay tried this. Loaded the default Cessna and set throttle to zero and flaps to up. Then saved these back as the default flight. However I still have the same issue. The throttles are on and the flaps are about 1/2 way as soon as I load the plane and stay that way until I move any lever. As soon as I do that everything goes back to where it should be. Only have to move 1 lever to affect the lot.

It really sounds as if there are either multiple assignments to the same FS control axes, with different calibrations, or something rather weird going on with whatever Windows drivers are installed for your joysticks.

You said originally that you "have done the calibration through FSUIPC". Using FSUIPC's calibration doesn't change assignments or anything, it only modifies the values read by FS before being sent to the simulation engine. So really if it is only calibration, not assignment, you've performed in FSUIPC then it could not make the difference you describe at all.

So, I suspect you have also tried actually assigning axes in FSUIPC, and have not disabled them all in FS, so you have two inputs working against each other. If you have made such assignments, try deleting the entire [Axes] section from the FSUIPC.INI file and instead doing it the normal way, assigning through FS.

Regards

Pete

So, I suspect you have also tried actually assigning axes in FSUIPC, and have not disabled them all in FS, so you have two inputs working against each other. If you have made such assignments, try deleting the entire [Axes] section from the FSUIPC.INI file and instead doing it the normal way, assigning through FS.

Regards

Pete

Yes I have the assignments down in FSUIPC. I have just double checked and the only axis I have enabled in FS are the elevators and ailerons. Everything else is not assigned and in fact the one throttle controller that has the flaps on it is disabled in FS. I did not want to go back to the FS assignments as it does not give me reverse thrust like FSUIPC does.

Yes I have the assignments down in FSUIPC. I have just double checked and the only axis I have enabled in FS are the elevators and ailerons. Everything else is not assigned and in fact the one throttle controller that has the flaps on it is disabled in FS.

In that case, since FSUIPC only ever sends the axis values through initially and then when they change, the initial "wake up" signals coming from your axes are wrong. There's really not much I can do about that. Either revert to FS assignments or make it part of the initial cockpit checks to operate each lever (this would be proper practice in any case).

I did not want to go back to the FS assignments as it does not give me reverse thrust like FSUIPC does.

Er, that's not true. Why do you think this? The reverse settings and so on are done in the Joystick Calibrations, not in the Assignments--unless you are assigning dedicated reverser axes, which is a completely different thing.

Folks have been using FSUIPC to calibrate FS-assigned axes, and apply reverse zones, since FS2000 days. The Axis Assignments facilities are quite recent and were really aimed at those who want to have different controls assigned to the same functions in different aircraft -- like a Yoke for Boeings, a Joystick for Airbuses and fighters, a G-stick for helicopters and so on. FS assignments can't offer automatic switching for different aircraft as FSUIPC can.

But all the Calibration facilities are offered for all the main axes which can be assigned in FS. That's they way it has ben done for years.

Pete