The simFlight Network Forums

FSX, PMDG, RC and FSUIPC

Writing here after being referred by John Dekker at Radar Contact. Was not able to get audio to work with RC. Contacted RC and they said I was using an old version of FSUIPC. I downloaded the latest version and installed it. After that I am unable to open FSX. It will open to the splash screen and then just sit there, eventually displaying a "not responding" message.

To resolve the problem I tried first using the FSX discs and doing a "maintenance" install. This did not help. I then uninstalled FSX and reinstalled it. Still no help. Then I reinstalled SP1 and deleted all the FSUIPC files in the "modules" folder. Still no help.

Hope someone has some suggestions.

Jeff Evans

Rocklin, California, USA

System is as follows:

Windows Vista Home Premium (build 6000) Dell Inc. Inspiron 530s

Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

2.20 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo

64 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Dell Inc. 0RY007

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: Dell Inc. 1.0.10 12/15/2007

Drives Memory Modules c,d

320.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

224.97 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5170S ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Controllers Display

Standard floppy disk controller

IDE Channel [Controller] (4x)

Intel® ICH9 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926

Intel® ICH9 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920 Radeon X1300/X1550 Series [Display adapter]

Radeon X1300/X1550 Series Secondary [Display adapter]

DELL SE198WFP [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 737317B283FS, October 2007)

Contacted RC and they said I was using an old version of FSUIPC.

Really? I don't support old versions, but certainly all version 4's work in a similar way as far as RC is concerned. What "old version" was it?

I downloaded the latest version and installed it.

Just telling me "latest version" really doesn't help at all. Please give the actual version number! I have had folks telling me latest version and meaning some old one they found which was a couple of years out of date! Also, there are two "latest versions", one for FS9 and before and one for FSX and beyond.

After that I am unable to open FSX. It will open to the splash screen and then just sit there, eventually displaying a "not responding" message.

FSUIPC4 can't actually do that, not by itself. It usually isn't even loaded (by SimConnect) until later. It sounds more like the sort of thing which can happen when you have the FSX SDK installed but are using the wrong version to go with your level of FSX update.

To resolve the problem I tried first using the FSX discs and doing a "maintenance" install. This did not help. I then uninstalled FSX and reinstalled it. Still no help. Then I reinstalled SP1 and deleted all the FSUIPC files in the "modules" folder.

That really proves it cannot be anything to do with FSUIPC4, as with no FSUIPC4 there it cannot run. It doesn't exist as far as your FSX is converned.

Unfortunately, if you deleted all those files you deleted evidence to show what FSUIPC4's installer did. It creates an Install log which is placed in the FSX Modules folder.

You supply information about your hardware (which is no use to me I'm afraid) but almost none at all about your FSX installation nor about FSUIPC4. So please re-install FSUIPC4. Show me the Install log from the Modules folder. Run FSX, get the problem, then look to see if there is an FSUIPC4.log file produced in the Modules folder. If there is, it is getting further that you imply. Show me that. If there is none there, look at the FSX Help Announcement above and use the information there to get a SimConnect log of the same sequence. Show me that.

There are other files to look at, but we'll get to those -- the Install log will help me point them out to you.

BTW, you mention "PMDG" in the subject line, but nothing more about that. Are you having FSX load with a default flight calling up a PMDG aircraft? If so it might be a good idea to eliminate that too for now -- PMDG aircraft are very complex and also use DLLs and depend on SimConnect a great deal -- assuming yours is an FSX model of course. To stop it loading with the PMDG aircraft as default, either find and delete/rename your FSX.CFG file, or find the default flight in your "My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" folder and delete that -- in this latter case FSX may complain but it will continue with its usual default (at Seattle I think).

You only mentioned FSX SP1. Did you not update to SP2?

Regards

Pete

Thanks for responding, Pete.

Here are the answers to most of your questions...

The original version of FSUIPC that was on my machine was the version that came with RC. That's the one that JD said appeared to be and "old" version. The new version that I installed is FSUIPC4 4.20 installed from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html.

I am sending you both the FSUIPC install log and the FSUIPC log. These logs were generated after an attempt to open FSX.

Re PMDG, that should really have no bearing on anything. My default flight is a Mooney Bravo flight. The failure to open occurs when opening FSX directly from FSX.exe and not through FSCrew or any other program.

Really appreciate the help, Pete. Like you, I think the problem lies somewhere else but it just happened to appear when I reinstalled FSUIPC.

Thanks again,

Jeff Evans

The original version of FSUIPC that was on my machine was the version that came with RC. That's the one that JD said appeared to be and "old" version.

I didn't know RC supplied one -- presumably it must come with two, one version 3 for FS9 and before, and one version 4 for FSX?

Which version of RC is this in any case?

I am sending you both the FSUIPC install log and the FSUIPC log. These logs were generated after an attempt to open FSX.

Okay. They've not arrived yet. Where did you send them? They should be short enough to paste as text into a message here, and that would be more efficient really.

The fact that a Log has been produced is interesting. It sounds like it is hanging later that it sounded.

Re PMDG, that should really have no bearing on anything. My default flight is a Mooney Bravo flight.

Okay, good. that's okay then. Though of course PMDG's own DLL may stil be getting loaded -- DLLs are loaded with FS. I will be able to check if you can get a SimConnect log, as mentioned. It is easily obtained -- please see the notes in the "FSX Help" announcement.

The failure to open occurs when opening FSX directly from FSX.exe and not through FSCrew or any other program.

Ah, you have other add-ons installed? Some of these may well add stuff which is being loaded with FSX in any case, like FSUIPC. I shall certainly need the SimConnect log.

Really appreciate the help, Pete. Like you, I think the problem lies somewhere else but it just happened to appear when I reinstalled FSUIPC.

I really do need to know what version of FSUIPC it was you had installed before 4.20. I'm really none the wiser by saying "the one supplied with RC", sorry. If it was a Version 3 (for FS9), which doesn't come with an installer and is impossible to install or use with FSX, so in that case what do you mean by "reinstall"?

Regards

Pete

Don't know what version of FSUIPC JD supplies with RC however on his website it says that for FSX you need version 4.1 or newer and since I only purchased RC about a week ago I'm sure that's the version he supplied with the download. I am running RC version 4.3.

Only addons I have are FSCrew and PMDG.

May have screwed up attaching the logs before so here the are below...

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.20 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC4 not user registered

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

Running inside FSX on Windows Vista (SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Module base=61000000

DebugStatus=0

109 System time = 22:54:47

109 FLT UNC path = "C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

109 FS UNC path = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

1778 LogOptions=00000001

1887 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.20

Looking in registry for FSX install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Parameter"SetupPath"

SetupPath="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

Checking version of FSX.EXE:

... Version 10.0.61355.0 (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

... Okay, Probe Manifest matches installed SimConnect 60905 (Original)

Found later build SimConnect 61242 (SP1 May07)

Found later build SimConnect 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL

... No previous valid version found.

FSX Modules folder already exists.

Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"

Looking for the current user's Application Data path:

... found as "C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Roaming"

Now finding \Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG for all users, including this one

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Roaming"

Found FSX.CFG in "C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG"!

Now checking DLL.XML ...

... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.

No previous FSUIPC4 entry found, so adding it now ...

... FSUIPC4 section of DLL.XML written okay

Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...

... No SimConnect.XML file found. This is okay.

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Application Data\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Bluetooth Software\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Contacts\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Cookies\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Desktop\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Downloads\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Favorites\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Incomplete\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Links\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Local Settings\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Music\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\My Documents\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\My Shared Folder\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\NetHood\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Pictures\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\PrintHood\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Recent\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Saved Games\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Searches\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\SendTo\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Shared\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Start Menu\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Templates\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\UserData\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\Videos\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Looking in "C:\Users\Jeff\WINDOWS\Roaming"

No FSX.CFG there

Now installing additional files into the Modules folder:

Installed "FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC4 History.pdf" okay

Installed "List of FSX controls.pdf" okay

All installer tasks completed okay!

*************** End of Install Log ***************

Only addons I have are FSCrew and PMDG.

I think both are serious add-ons though ...

The LOG file shows that FSUIPC gets as far as asking for a connection to FSX:

1887 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

but it looks like things then screw up in SimConnect. It is using the SP2 version of SimConnect -- maybe your previous version of FSUIPC4 was using an older version (4.1x used SP1, whilst 4.0x used the base, original, SimConnect). That is why knowing what you had previously, is important. It is a shame you can't go look and find out. You don't need to install it or run it, just right-click on the file and check Properties-Version.

Anyway, to get any further I need two things. First, that Simconnect log I asked you to make. Second, find this file:

C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\DLL.XML

and paste it here (it is a text file too). That will show what SimConnect is being asked to load. And the SimConnect will show what it is actually getting up to. Once we know that I can instruct youi on how to eliminate the other things to see which is causing the problem.

One interesting thing, which I find hard to understand given your earlier explanation of what you did, is this, from the Install log:

... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.

No previous FSUIPC4 entry found, so adding it now ...

If you had, indeed, installed any earlier version of FSUIPC4 it would have appeared in the DLL.XML file. The fact that it didn't suggests either that your previous install failed completely (at an early stage), or that something else you installed overwrote the DLL.XML file rather than simply added itself. That is a bit worrying (and annoying) so it makes it even more important to see the file, please.

Regards

Pete

The only SimConnect file I could find is in the PMDG folder.

Here is the DLL.XML file you asked for.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?>

-

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

-

Object Placement Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

-

Traffic Toolbox

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

-

Visual Effects Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll

-

FSUIPC 4

False

Modules\FSUIPC4.dll

The Simconnect log will NOT be produced unless you do something to make it! As I said right at the beginning "look at the FSX Help Announcement above and use the information there to get a SimConnect log of the same sequence. Show me that."

Since the DLL.XML file shows no additional modules being loaded, only that you installed the FSX SDK, I am a bit bemused -- how did that DLL.XML file get lost from last time you installed FSUIPC4? (And still I don't know which version it was!?).

Or did you instal the FSX SDK after your first FSUIPC4 install? Did you make sure the SDK you instaled was the correct version for FSX+SP2?

Let me see a SimConnect log. Make one as I explained, please.

Pete

The Simconnect log will NOT be produced unless you do something to make it! As I said right at the beginning "look at the FSX Help Announcement above and use the information there to get a SimConnect log of the same sequence. Show me that."

Tried to generate the Simconnect log following the directions in the FSX Help announcement but no .log file was created. When I attempt to open FSX I get the splash screen the the two notifications, "Generating scenery file indexes" and "Building database for new scenery files" and then it sits there and eventually says "not responding". Could this be why it's not generating the Simconnect Log?

Since the DLL.XML file shows no additional modules being loaded, only that you installed the FSX SDK, I am a bit bemused -- how did that DLL.XML file get lost from last time you installed FSUIPC4? (And still I don't know which version it was!?).

Or did you instal the FSX SDK after your first FSUIPC4 install? Did you make sure the SDK you instaled was the correct version for FSX+SP2?

I did not install any SDK unless it was inside RC, PMDG or FSMeteo.

Let me see a SimConnect log. Make one as I explained, please.

Pete

rcjeffzip.zip

This is the Radar Contact log that I generated that JD said showed an old version of FSUIPC

That's a complicated way of telling me one little piece of information, isn't it?

Searching through that vast amount of irrelevant stuff (I do not examine RC logs), I see it reported "FSUIPC_Version 41520000", or in other words version 4.152. That was one of the Beta versions made available here before 4.20 -- about August 2007. 4.20 was released when FSX Acceleration was released, in October.

Incidentally, there is a much later Beta version here now -- 4.218, in the FSX Downloads announcement above.

I really cannot do anything else until I see the SimConnect log file which may hopefully show what SimConnect is doing. If that shows nothing, but merely indicates that it hung, then I can only think it is a SimConnect corruption, in which can I can tell you how to reinstall it -- uninstalling FSX and re-installing it doesn't do this, nor does uninstalling SP1 or SP2 and re-installing. It's all to do with the Windows "side-by-side" library system used here and it gets really complicated, especially on Vista which seems designed to stop you doing anything important.

If you can remember the actual sequence of installs and uninstalls you've performed, both of FSX, its updates, and your add-ons, it may help to work out what has happened here.

Regards

Pete

Here is the install/uninstall sequence as best I can recall:

Ran FSX "maintenance" install. Didn't help

Ran FSX uninstall but kept "game files" (an option within FSX install)

Reinstalled FSX. Still wouldn't open

Installed SP1. Still wouldn't open

Removed all FSUIPC files from "modules" folder.

Reinstalled FSUIPC4 4.20

Sorry about sending you the complete RC Log file, Pete, but I wasn't sure what information you needed or how to find it.

Would I be better off just completely uninstalling FSX, deleting ALL files, and reinstalling it again. Then reinstalling the addons, FSUIPC, RC, PMDG, FSCrew and FSMeteo? Do you think that would work?

I sense that you are getting a little upset with my situation and I apologize however I'm not as adept in these matters as you are and know absolutely nothing about programming or SDK.

Thanks for everything.

Jeff

Here is the install/uninstall sequence as best I can recall:

Ran FSX "maintenance" install. Didn't help

Ran FSX uninstall but kept "game files" (an option within FSX install)

Reinstalled FSX. Still wouldn't open

Installed SP1. Still wouldn't open

Removed all FSUIPC files from "modules" folder.

Reinstalled FSUIPC4 4.20

No, this is the sequence since you had a problem. That doesn't help understand how you got into this state in the first place -- it is the sequence of FSX, SP1, SP2/Acceleration, FSUIPC4.1, PMDG whatever, FSX SDK (and which version did you install???), etc., that led to the problem in the first place that is important.

Here's another thing which seems wrong. you say you are using PMDG aircraft. Which? Is it one specifically designed for FSX? As far as I knew, all PMDG aircraft need a DLL installed, and for FSX this needs an entry in the DLL.XML file. In particular the PMDG 747X, for instance, says in its install "read me":

"FSX has an "achillies heal" of sorts in a file named DLL.XML.

This file is located in the same directory as your FSX.CFG file

and contains information that allows third party add-ons such

as this product to run within FSX. For almost every aircraft

add-on developer, this file must be modified to list certain

data about the dll files that are needed for the add-on aircraft.

I've not investigated this further, having just managed to get a copy of the 747 so I can look into some wind-smoothing problems folks reported with this aircraft and FSUIPC 4.217. I want to see if I've fixed them in 4.128. But I'll check into this DLL tomorrow.

So, if you do have PMDG aircraft needing this DLL, how come it isn't mentioned in your DLL.XML file?

Sorry about sending you the complete RC Log file, Pete, but I wasn't sure what information you needed or how to find it.

I thought I was very clear on that. I only wanted to know which version it was, so all you needed to do was find it in the RC package you have, right-click on it, thus getting the Version from the Properties, exactly as I described earlier. Never mind. Too late now.

Would I be better off just completely uninstalling FSX, deleting ALL files, and reinstalling it again. Then reinstalling the addons, FSUIPC, RC, PMDG, FSCrew and FSMeteo? Do you think that would work?

It wouldn't correctly remove SimConnect for the reasons I've already stated, unless you find the SimConnect side-by-side folders and delete all those too. Not easy in Vista unfortunately. You'd have to change permissions etcetera..

Why not at least get a SimConnect log first? I mentioned this right at the beginning and it seems a damned sight quicker and easier to do that than all this prevaricating, doesn't it?

I sense that you are getting a little upset with my situation

Well, not upset but admittedly rather frustrated that I keep having to repeat myself and you appear to be ignoring my requests and suggestions. It is very difficult to help someone who won't cooperate.

and I apologize however I'm not as adept in these matters as you are and know absolutely nothing about programming or SDK.

No one is asking any programming or "SDK" off you -- but whilst you are on the subject, why did you install the SDK anyway if you didn't want to use it?

I'm off to bed now, it is getting late here. Good night.

Regards

Pete

I am trying my best to cooperate with you requests for information as you are attempting to help me. If I don't supply the correct information it isn't because I'm ignoring you it's because I may not understand.

As far as the Simconnect log, I have tried to create one using the instructions you provide on your main Simflight page. I created a file named "Simconnect.ini" and placed it in my "my Documents\Flight Simulator X files" folder. I then attempted to open FSX. After I reached the point where it said "not responding", I went to my root folder and looked for "SimConnect1.log". It is not there. I did a search of my entire c: drive and there is no file by that name. I don't know what I am doing wrong or what else to do. I am trying to follow your instructions exactly.

I also looked for the file "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9" and it does not exist. There are three FlightSimulator.SimConnect_xxx fies that are similar but not the same as the one you reference.

Here is my fsx.cfg file:

[sOUND]

AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000

[Display]

ChangeTime=4.000000

TransitionTime=4.000000

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

ProcSpeed=6179

PerfBucket=5

[PANELS]

IMAGE_QUALITY=1

[Weather]

WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1

MinGustTime=10

MaxGustTime=500

MinGustRampSpeed=1

MaxGustRampSpeed=200

MinVarTime=5

MaxVarTime=50

MinVarRampSpeed=10

MaxVarRampSpeed=75

TurbulenceScale=1.000000

WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com

WeatherServerPort=80

WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0

AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1

DynamicWeather=2

DownloadWindsAloft=0

DisableTurbulence=0

[DISPLAY.Device.Radeon X1300/X1550 Series .0]

Mode=1024x768x32

[CONTROLS]

Controls_Default=Standard

Controls_Current=Standard

[TextInfo.1]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

[TextInfo.2]

FrameRate=1,1

LockedFrameRate=1,2

GForce=1,3

FuelPercentage=1,4

[TextInfo.3]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

FrameRate=2,1

LockedFrameRate=2,2

GForce=2,3

FuelPercentage=2,4

[slewTextInfo.1]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

[slewTextInfo.2]

FrameRate=1,1

LockedFrameRate=1,2

[slewTextInfo.3]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

FrameRate=2,1

LockedFrameRate=2,2

[DynamicHeadMovement]

LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000

LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000

RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000

YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000

RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000

MaxHeadAngle=5.000000

MaxHeadOffset=0.300000

HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

[VirtualCopilot]

VirtualCopilotActive=1

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693428480

[Trusted]

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll.rwwwwleiqkrkruabwzurihazkcbaethoqtkaluou=1

You also asked why did I install the SDK if I didn't plan on using it. I don't understand. I never deliberately downloaded any SDK. All I have been using is FSX, SP1, PMDG 747-400 (for FSX). FSCrew, Radar Contact and FSMeteo. Have not installed any other aircraft or panels. Looking at the DLL.XML I see the references to the SDK. I don't know where that came from.

Jeff

As far as the Simconnect log, I have tried to create one using the instructions you provide on your main Simflight page. I created a file named "Simconnect.ini" and placed it in my "my Documents\Flight Simulator X files" folder. I then attempted to open FSX. After I reached the point where it said "not responding", I went to my root folder and looked for "SimConnect1.log". It is not there. I did a search of my entire c: drive and there is no file by that name. I don't know what I am doing wrong or what else to do. I am trying to follow your instructions exactly.

If the INI file is correct, then, since FSUIPC4 is creating a Log file it must be getting loaded. Since SimConnect logs things before loading any DLLs, it MUST be producing a Log before crashingunless, ah, Vista! Maybe that stops FSX creating files in the C:\ root folder? I never thought of that and no one has mentioned it before.

I've changed the FSX Help message now, just in case that's the problem, please? If you still get no Log there must be a mistake in the INI file. In such a case please show me the SimConnect.ini file you created. Paste it all into a message here.

I also looked for the file "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9" and it does not exist. There are three FlightSimulator.SimConnect_xxx fies that are similar but not the same as the one you reference.

By "files" here I do hope you mean "folders". They must be folders. They each contain one file.

The FSUIPC4 install log you posted showed this:

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

... Okay, Probe Manifest matches installed SimConnect 60905 (Original)

Found later build SimConnect 61242 (SP1 May07)

Found later build SimConnect 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)

so that is why there are three SimConnect folders. The names MUST all start with

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0

because if they do not, it would be impossible for FSUIPC4's installer to find them and report that they are okay. Furthermore, if the first isn't there then FSUIPC4 would not get loaded in the first place.

I have recently discovered that, whilst the part after the bits above seems consistently the same on XP machines, it is different on Vista (eg it could be "none_ ..."). I think that part is a security scrambled ("hash") key to check the rest, to prevent folks "inventing" their own such folders to fool Windows, so I assume Vista is using a different hashing algorithm to XP. I'll amend the "FSX Help" text to reflect this.

However, that is of no consequence at present. It wasn't on the Agendayet.

Here is my fsx.cfg file:

Not sure why you posted that? Do you think it relevant?

You also asked why did I install the SDK if I didn't plan on using it. I don't understand. I never deliberately downloaded any SDK.

If you have the Deluxe edition of FSX, the original SDK is on the DVD, so you didn't have to download it. However, the one on the DVD isn't compatible with SP1 or SP2, so versions for those would have had to be downloaded. This is was I was worried that you had installed the original SDK and not updated it for SP1 or SP2.

All I have been using is FSX, SP1, PMDG 747-400 (for FSX). FSCrew, Radar Contact and FSMeteo.

But according to all the details you also installed SP2 (or was it Acceleration you installed?)

I am about to install the PMDG 747 myself. According to its instructions it also installs a DLL, and requires this to be loaded via the DLL.XML file. Did you read the installation "read me" you got with it? Somehow the (possibly) required DLL is not present in your DLL.XML file.

Looking at the DLL.XML I see the references to the SDK. I don't know where that came from.

No. Seems that some very mysterious things have been happening on your PC without your knowledge. The disappearing FSUIPC4 entry in the DLL.XML file, the presumably disappearing PMDG DLL entry too, and the appearance of all those SDK entries! That is indeed very very weird.

I'm sorry, but all my installer does is find the DLL.XML file and, if it exists, adds its own entry. If it finds no DLL.XML file it creates one with only its own entry in it.

If not you then certainly something you have used / installed has made a mess here. I think you ought to delete the DLL.XML file altogether, then re-run the FSUIPC4 installer to create a simpler one.

But let's see if we can get the SimConnect log file first. It is looking more and more like a complete repair is needed -- especially if the PMDG 747 needs a DLL installing too (I'll know soon ...) -- but I'm in favour of taking things in order, and the simpler ones first.

Regards

Pete

I am about to install the PMDG 747 myself. According to its instructions it also installs a DLL, and requires this to be loaded via the DLL.XML file. Did you read the installation "read me" you got with it? Somehow the (possibly) required DLL is not present in your DLL.XML file.

Okay. I just installed the PMDG 747 for FSX. It actually installs 3 (THREE) DLLs, and adds them to the DLL.XML file automatically, when installing. These are

PMDG\DLLs\PMDGOptions.dll

PMDG\DLLs\PMDGEvents.dll

PMDG\DLLs\PMDGSounds.dll

where the PMDG path is inside the main FSX folder.

So, it looks like, with your configuration as you've shown me here, the PMDG aircraft won't work either. Possibly all this is down to whatever it was which messed your DLL.XML file up?

After showing me the SimConnect log I think it would be a good idea to delete the DLL.XML file, re-run the FSUIPC installer, and also re-install the PMDG aircraft.

Regards

Pete

Finally got the Simconnect log to work. Here it is:

0.00000 SimConnect version 10.0.61242.0

0.42555 Panels data export found and set to 20A819B8

1.55831 DLL Loaded: Path="Modules\FSUIPC4.dll" Version="4.2.0.0"

Does that help any?

To answer your other question, I did install Acceleration at one time but I kept getting an error and a CTD so I uninstalled it. FSX worked fine for a couple of weeks after that. Also, I did install both SP1 and SP2.

Finally got the Simconnect log to work

0.00000 SimConnect version 10.0.61242.0

Does that help any?

Ouch! That version number is for SP1, not SP2, even though SP2 is shown to be there by the Installer. I think the SP2 installation is screwed up, and it is this which is causing the hang.

You say

I did install Acceleration at one time but I kept getting an error and a CTD so I uninstalled it. FSX worked fine for a couple of weeks after that. Also, I did install both SP1 and SP2.

and I think this explains it -- there have mean many problems arising for uninstalling and reinstalling things. It seems this "side by side" library system devised by MS is, er, rather fragile.

Acceleration includes both SP1 (which won't install again if it is already there) and SP2. When you uninstalled it I guess you didn't remove the SimConnect folders, so in fact those didn't get repaired.

I think the next step is to try to "repair" SimConnect. Here is gets a little, er, complicated I think, especially on Vista. You need to see if you can delete the three WinSxS folders for SimConnect we identified earlier. You will probably need to run Explorer using "run as" Administrator, and you may have to change the folder permissions even then. If you can't do it I'm afraid I'm not much help. I don't yet use Vista (I don't like it one little bit).

If you succeed, then you can try uninstalling SP2, then SP1, then run the FSX repair (i.e. run the original install again, from the DVD). That should get the base SimConnect working -- you could test it at this stage. Re-run the FSUIPC4 installer and make sure FSX loads.

Then re-install SP1 and test again (there should be no need to reinstall FSUIPC4).

Finally reinstall SP2 and test again.

I don't want to alarm you, but some folks have eventually re-formatted their disks and reinstalled Windows to recover from FSX installation problems. I'm sure there must be better solutions, but I think you would need to contact your Microsoft support centre to get their advice.

There are some additional assists provided by Microsoft on the http://www.fsinsider.com web site. You might like to read some of those too, before you start.

Regards

Pete

Am extremely frustrated, Pete. Try as I might, I cannot remove the SimConnect files. Opened Explorer as "administrator" and still no luck. Tried resetting permissions within the folder and can't do it. I guess all this Vista crap is an attempt to save me from myself but they sure make it difficult (if not impossible) to do any maintenance on your own.

Am going to do some more research on the boards and FSX website and see if I can find any workaround. I'll let you know what happens.

Again, thanks, Pete.

Jeff

Am extremely frustrated, Pete. Try as I might, I cannot remove the SimConnect files. Opened Explorer as "administrator" and still no luck. Tried resetting permissions within the folder and can't do it. I guess all this Vista crap is an attempt to save me from myself but they sure make it difficult (if not impossible) to do any maintenance on your own.

Yes. I am sorry, I am also at a loss with Vista. I do have a copy installed on a LapTop (much against my best inclination), but I've tried to change permissions on the WinSxS folders and cannot. it seems you need "TrustedInstaller" status to do anything with it at all. It's enough to drive you crazy.

Am going to do some more research on the boards and FSX website and see if I can find any workaround. I'll let you know what happens.

Okay. thanks. Good luck.

Pete

Just got off the phone with the delightful people at Dell, where I purchased my computer 36 days ago, and they advised me that because it was over 30 days from the purchase they would be happy to tell me how to workaround the situation and delete those files... for only $129.95!!! Bastards!

Next stop, Microsoft... but I think I've finally going to find the answer on a forum or board somewhere.

I've got over $500 worth of hardware and software for FSX sitting here idle and worthless. Not at you, Pete, but at Vista... I'M PISSED!

Jeff

Thanks to everybody on all the forums. I'M FINALLY UP AND RUNNING!! The problem? The logbook.bin file. I deleted it per one of the forum suggestions and everything is back to normal.

Well, knock me down with a feather! I would never have thought thathow weird. It was creating symptoms exactly like SimConnect being screwed up.

Thanks for letting us know. I shall certainly have to remember that.

I wonder how it got corrupted in the first place? Presumably one of those crashes you had after installing Acceleration?

Regards

Pete