The simFlight Network Forums

Wind shifts with 4.20

Hi everybody,

yesterday I have tried with a new set up and the results are now better. Although my video card is DirectX 10 compatible (GForce 8600) I have found that enabling that option was scewing up many things and eating out lots of resources within my system. Now it is much better, I still have some stutters but I suppose it's because I fly with all sliders set at least in middle position, as in min position the earth seems really a neverending desert. It used to be so in FS9 too.

Let's go on with tests: sooner or later I'll find the compromise to work with FSX as if it was FS9 :mrgreen:

Regards

Lorenzo

PS: Thanks Jim for reading this post :wink:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pete,

I wanted to take a piece of footage of a Take off on a LevelD to show you how the plane behaves. The problem is that I don't have the min idea of what to do to send you something to work on.

Could you please tell me what to do?

Thanks a lot.

Lorenzo

I tested the PMDG 747X tonight with v4224 and I'm afraid it wasn't pretty. OK, it was a windy night flying across to Glasgow from Norway so I wasn't expecting a smooth ride. This was with FSX download weather, 15 minute update. Wind gusts were very good, consistent wind direction +/-10 degrees, spot on, and none of those 90 or 180 degree shifts. BUT, and this is a big but, the a/c keeps just losing direction without any apparent wind disruption. Midway between SOTIR and ZOL on UP600 at FL340 it just went into a massive turn left followed by a massive right (90 degs off course both ways). I got it back on track via completely recycling the autopilot and LNAV/VNAV when even HDG SEL wasn't getting it back on track. It then settled down all the way to AberDeeN on UP600 but again, between ADN and PTH it lost it again. More recycling of systems and eventually back on track. Leaving STIRA on a heading from Vatsim ATC and decending FL70 it just didn't even get close to the heading, wild oscillations both sides of it up to 90 degs. I had to hand-fly down from FL70 having switched all the autos off (and disconnnecting from Vatsim!).

Settings in v4224 - default plus Wind Smoothing. After the ZOL incident I switched wind smoothing off but no noticeable difference in gusts or direction, just a very good emulation of a windy night until the heading just went haywire again after ADN.

Net result, IMO, wind swinging around is fixed but the heading bug is severely nasty and certainly makes online flying big bad news.

Fully updated PMDG 747X, Windows XP SP2, FSUIPC v4224, downloaded FSX weather. Using FSInn but with weather OFF.

Hi Pete,

I wanted to take a piece of footage of a Take off on a LevelD to show you how the plane behaves.

Why? In your last report you said it was good. I quote:

just made some tests with the new beta version, and I must say that is not bad at all. The wind was still a bit struggling but not so much until 8000 feet and barometric pressure was much more reliable and reminded me the old times in FS9. I think you made a good step foward with this Pete.

So what on Earth do you mean by

... what to do to send you something to work on.

I've really got no plans to work on anything more with this stuff at present. I have a lot of documentation to update then I want to get a new proper User Release out.

Why not explain a little of what you are talking about, as you seem to seriously contradict yourself.

:-(

Pete

I tested the PMDG 747X tonight with v4224 and I'm afraid it wasn't pretty. OK, it was a windy night flying across to Glasgow from Norway so I wasn't expecting a smooth ride. This was with FSX download weather, 15 minute update. Wind gusts were very good, consistent wind direction +/-10 degrees, spot on, and none of those 90 or 180 degree shifts. BUT, and this is a big but, the a/c keeps just losing direction without any apparent wind disruption.

Please try with the turbulence and gusts turned suppressed, both on the Winds and the Clouds page.

Did you have the pressure or temperature smoothing enabled? I am a little worried about those.

And please update to 4.231. There were a couple of odd bugs in 4.224, one enough to crash FSX.

Net result, IMO, wind swinging around is fixed but the heading bug is severely nasty and certainly makes online flying big bad news.

What heading bug? Sorry you've lost me.

I'm getting very very conflicting reports here. Some say it works well now with the PMDG 747, others (you only at present) are saying it doesn't. I will probably just put a warning in the documentation saying not to use any of the options with PMDG.

To put a real blight on it, Lorenzo's original confirmation that the LevelD 767 was fine seems to have gone sour with no explanation in his last post.

Not a good night. I've half a mind to take it all out again and leave it till FSXI. :-(

Regards

Pete

Sorry Pete - I didn't mean to dishearten you sir! As I said, you DO seem to have fixed the wind swings by 90/180 degrees. That is a major achievement IMO! FYI, on this 747X flight I hadn't touched any of the default settings (incl pressure & temp) other than turning on the wind smoothing. I was specifically trying to test the wind smoothing element. My reference to "the heading bug" was admittedly poorly phrased, apologies, I meant that since putting this version on my system the 747X does seem to lose it's headings on both LNAV and HDG SEL at some points in the flight. This doesn't seem linked to any sudden wind changes unless there is some battle going on between FSX and FSUIPC as to what the weather is actually going to do to the a/c.

I hope that clarifies what I said a bit. You're certainly getting there with the wind smoothing, no doubt at all. I am however beginning to share your opinion that maybe FSX should be sidelined and hope that FS11 is the finished article!

Sorry Pete - I didn't mean to dishearten you sir! As I said, you DO seem to have fixed the wind swings by 90/180 degrees. That is a major achievement IMO! FYI, on this 747X flight I hadn't touched any of the default settings (incl pressure & temp) other than turning on the wind smoothing. I was specifically trying to test the wind smoothing element.

Maybe I should make the turbulence and gust suppressions enabled by default? When you enable wind smoothing you are also enabling my simulation of these effects -- I wanted to do this because I disliked the FS9 smoothing for destroying all such -- but it is entirely possible that these are upsetting the PMDG 747.

My reference to "the heading bug" was admittedly poorly phrased, apologies, I meant that since putting this version on my system the 747X does seem to lose it's headings on both LNAV and HDG SEL at some points in the flight. This doesn't seem linked to any sudden wind changes

Okay. Whatever is going on at those points is what needs looking at. Are they perhaps times when there are gusts or turbulence, or more likely, variance showing in the relevant wind layers?

If it is only one element which is causing it, for instant wind variability (the "V" or "VRBL" bit in METAR wind reports which can go up to even 180 degrees, but very unlikely except in very light winds), or possibly also the lesser 4-16 degree (max for "severe") directional "shaking" part of turbulence, then I could add a "suppress variance" option and default that ON whilst leaving the others off. Currently I bundle this element in with the turbulence suppression option.

unless there is some battle going on between FSX and FSUIPC as to what the weather is actually going to do to the a/c.

There's always such a "battle", but the nasty hack FSUIPC now patches into the FSX code should theoretically allow FSUIPC to win. I am catching the place where the wind elements used in the simulation engine are actually placed into the data structure that it uses.

As far as my searches have taken me, I think I have found the only place for the "ambient" wind conditions - the North / East / Up components which then compute the direction and speed. There may well be other places, but I doubt it. My main problem is that I never found the variables for the actual aircraft-axis wind effects -- the X, Y, Z wind vectors aligned to the aircraft body. I can READ these through SimConnect, but I couldn't find their origin.

My hope was, and still is, that these latter elements are derived from the main N / E / Up elements which I am controlling. This would make logical sense, and it also did apply in FS9 and before -- the wind smoothing in FSUIPC3 only worked on the N / E / Up elements, not the aircraft oriented ones (even though I found them and experimented with changing them), and it worked without them. So I think the same should apply n FSX.

The only thing I can't do without access to the aircraft-oriented wind vectors is control the crosswind for learner fliers, to make taxiing and landing easier in windy conditions. I could probably do it by computing those vectors myself, changing them, and converting back to the N /E / Up coordinates then applying those, but in order to have a smooth instead of horrible ratcheting effect I'd have to do it at the internal sim rate (about four times the frame rate, or more) and with that number of mathematical computations I'd be ruining performance more that I can justify.

Hence the implementation of the overall wind speed limit below 1000' AGL option instead.

Anyway, I've not given up quite yet. I've spend too many hours on this, especially since Christmas, so I'd like to see it working at least usefully if not perfect. So, please:

1. Try 4.231.

2. When you do notice the PMDG losing heading control, please pause and immediately check the weather at that altitude -- WeatherSet2 will do. Make a note of the wind data for your altitude (the altitudes listed in the program are layer TOPS), and see if you might be close to a cloud layer with turbulence (you don't have to actually be IN the cloud. I can't detect that, even though there is a SimConnect variable that should be telling me).

3. Try with turbulence (cloud and wind) and gusts disabled.

If this does show that any of my "effects" are causing the problem, I'll add the variance suppression separately and we'll go from there. Hopefully this won't take too long. There's so much changed now since 4.20 and so many problems I'm referring folks to the interim updates for, the sooner I make a proper release the more time I will free up for myself. Maybe I'll try a 'real' flight myself then. ;-)

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

OK, my previous post was a bit dark in its way, the fact is that yes the stuttering problems seem to have recovered, but I still get (sometimes) nervous climbing towards cruise level. That's why I asked you: only to show you what I meant and, possibly, to find a "fine tuning".

Also I'm experiencing Bill's same problems with PMDG, she turns apparently without any specific reasons to "ghost" headings notwithstanding the fact that the heading bug is on "hold". I have found that this happens only when ASX or internal FSX weather generator is enable, as I didn't get this problem with "0" wind or preset wind.

Thank you

Lorenzo

2. When you do notice the PMDG losing heading control, please pause and immediately check the weather at that altitude -- WeatherSet2 will do. Make a note of the wind data for your altitude (the altitudes listed in the program are layer TOPS), and see if you might be close to a cloud layer with turbulence (you don't have to actually be IN the cloud. I can't detect that, even though there is a SimConnect variable that should be telling me).

OK sir, I'll try that later. Just one muppet question, presumably WeatherSet2 is the FSX weather settings pages which should be reporting what I'm getting? If not then yell at me!

I'll be trying this out sometime this afternoon and will repeat the exact same flight, same settings to start with (new weather obviously)! I'll also save a situation file at the point it careers off heading, if pos get some screenies too. I'll then try the same again with the other settings below.

I still get (sometimes) nervous climbing towards cruise level.

Not sure what you mean by "nervous", unless you mean twitchiness -- which is probably the turbulence and other related effects which i never emulated in FS9. That's why I ask you to test with all those turned off, otherwise the comparison is not valid.

That's why I asked you: only to show you what I meant and, possibly, to find a "fine tuning".

To determine whether the effects are reasonable or overdone you'd also need the details of the wind layer you were in at the time. Without that information there's no hope of making any sort of useful assessment. I have noticed that FSX downloaded weather does often have "moderate" or even worse turbulence specified -- for a while I thought it was my "random turbulence" option activated unintentionally, but it isn't.

Also I'm experiencing Bill's same problems with PMDG, she turns apparently without any specific reasons to "ghost" headings notwithstanding the fact that the heading bug is on "hold". I have found that this happens only when ASX or internal FSX weather generator is enable, as I didn't get this problem with "0" wind or preset wind.

Again, this does strongly point to the possibility that my added effects are responsible, so try with them turned off. Also please use version 4.231.

Regards

Pete

OK sir, I'll try that later. Just one muppet question, presumably WeatherSet2 is the FSX weather settings pages which should be reporting what I'm getting? If not then yell at me!

No, WeatherSet2 is the FS9-FSX version of my WeatherSet utility first supplied in FS2000 days. I'm amazed you never heard of it or used it. It will enable you to view the weather details at the aircraft (or any place, actually, including weather stations by ICAO code) in a separate program window, even on a separate PC via WideFS if you use it.

Both WeatherSet (which relates to Global weather as used in FS2000 and FS2002, but only partly in later versions) and WeatherSet2 (which deals with Weather localisation) used to be supplied bundled in the FSUIPC Zip file, but I discontinued that with FSUIPC4 as it implied they were still a fully useful tool for FSX, which, whilst they can be, is not an impression I want to maintain.

So, look down past the FSUIPC4 update details in the FSX Downloads Announcement and you will find them available to download there.

As for a "FSX weather settings pages which should be reporting what I'm getting", I've never found out how to get such information that way -- getting to the Advanced settings page seems to always require that you reset the weather system to user mode, which destroys the download weather setup in any case. Do you know of a different way of getting to the information? Perhaps I've missed something?

if pos get some screenies too

I'm not keen on "screenies" really. I know they say a picture speaks a thousand words, but I'd normal understand the words better. Sorry. You needn't give me a thousand, though, I'm sure! ;-)

Regards

Pete

Peter

OK, I've done the same 747X flight, Oslo-Glasgow. I'll have to do it again because I'd not updated the DLL to 4231 so this was still 4224 :oops: BUT, when it completely lost the heading and headed off into the wild blue yonder (c90 degs off course then suddenly swing back to c90 degs off course the other way) it was as I was decending through a layer showing "Turb" at 2 in Weatherset2. No gusts were showing for that layer. Remember, my only setting change from Default was to enable wind smoothing, nothing else was altered and I hadn't changed pressure or temp smoothing in the INI file.

I'll do the flight again later with 4224 and report back. Over the w/e I'll do it again with the gust and turbulance suppression on. Then I suppose another one with pressure smoothing applied since I don't want to confuse matters by changing everything at once!

While I'm here, points of note during the flight anyway. On some occasions in the cruise (FL340) the a/c displays were showing rapidly switching wind from 327 degs to 023 degs (with windspeed fairly constant at about 28kts)but it wasn't violently knocking the aircraft around. These shifts weren't showing in Weatherset and no gusts or turbulence there either. The TATs varied all the time from -23C to -35C with consequent power surges/drops to correct the Mach speed. During some stages of the flight the QNH column in weatherset varied from 992mb to 1018mb although for about 60% of the flight it showed 1013mb. When the QNH moved the altitude leapt or dropped down causing more engine thrashing to correct it. I'll get back when I've done it with the latest version!

EDIT: Btw, bizarre temperature on the ground at Oslo. +65C?!

BUT, when it completely lost the heading and headed off into the wild blue yonder (c90 degs off course then suddenly swing back to c90 degs off course the other way) it was as I was decending through a layer showing "Turb" at 2 in Weatherset2. No gusts were showing for that layer.

Gusts are only wind speed changes. It sounds like the PMDG aircraft doesn't like the frequest smaller changes caused by turbulence.

Remember, my only setting change from Default was to enable wind smoothing, nothing else was altered and I hadn't changed pressure or temp smoothing in the INI file.

I know, that's why I asked you to try it with the turbulence and gusts disabled! It is no use have only one side of the equation. Please remember that there's a turbulence for clouds as well.

I'll do the flight again later with 4224 and report back.

No no. Please change to 4.231. There were other problems in 4.224.

On some occasions in the cruise (FL340) the a/c displays were showing rapidly switching wind from 327 degs to 023 degs (with windspeed fairly constant at about 28kts)but it wasn't violently knocking the aircraft around. These shifts weren't showing in Weatherset and no gusts or turbulence there either.

I don't know what those are then. Sorry.

[LATER]

EDIT: Btw, bizarre temperature on the ground at Oslo. +65C?!

Good grief? Where are you getting your weather from? What with that and all the other odd things you mention it sounds like the data was rather, erscrambled!

Regards

Pete

And here we go: just made a flight on LevelD from Venice to Barcelona. Things seemed to be pretty normal on the ground at Venice I had wind 3 knots which was perfectly reasonable considering how it looked out of my window. Then, soon after Take off, I got the PC doing a refresh with the bar loading, then nothing...I mean no wind at all. It took me nearly one hour to see Wind 356 @ 0 Kn. How is it possible? IMO there must be some kind of problem in the way Simconnect receives and provides wind data within the simulator as I don't really believe that today across Europe at FL360 there wasn't any wind at all! During the approach say at 3000 feet I got a normal wind back. In some moments during cruise I had some "unusual" and sudden wind changes like Bill told you...but always at 0 knots :roll:

Anyway I have the latest release as I visit the sticky thread on daily basis now.

Regards

Lorenzo

Then, soon after Take off, I got the PC doing a refresh with the bar loading

Why would it do that?

... then nothing...I mean no wind at all. It took me nearly one hour to see Wind 356 @ 0 Kn.

Sorry, I'm misunderstanding something here. For one hour you had no wind reported, then you had 356/0? That's no wind too!?

How is it possible? IMO there must be some kind of problem in the way Simconnect receives and provides wind data within the simulator

Is it Simconnect receiving your wind data? Are you using an external weather source? Simconnect isn't involved in FSX's own weather downloads.

I cannot see what you are doing from here. But certainly it is possible to have long periods without any wind. I'm not really in the business of supplying weather nor examining what others supply, so really you will have to check that yourself -- look at your sources. I'm only interested in what FSUIPC does with it when you've got it.

In some moments during cruise I had some "unusual" and sudden wind changes like Bill told you...but always at 0 knots

0 knots isn't a wind, so the direction is probably either 360 True (same as 000/00) or anything at all. If FSUIPC or FSX is trying to vary it, the triangles get vanishingly small and the sines and cosines go daft.

FSUIPC has got no smoothing to do if the wind remains at zero knots, and it can't even provide artificial turbulence, so really there is not a lot of point reporting it. You will need to examine the source of your weather.

Odd that there's been two successive reports here, one with crazy weather and enormous shifts and one with nothing. It sounds like you both used the same source for weather and that source has been going rather wild recently!

Regards

Pete

Sorry squire, I meant I'd fly it again with the later version, I didn't mean 4224 even though I typed it :roll: The weather for the above flight was FSX Download weather with the 15 minute refresh so that's where that temperature at Oslo came from. Very strange. I havn't yet thrown ASX into the mix as well. This time I'll turn off all the turbulance and gusts and see what happens, I'll use the FSX weather source again.

The weather for the above flight was FSX Download weather with the 15 minute refresh so that's where that temperature at Oslo came from. Very strange.

Yes, sounds like something got screwed up in translation. Probably a couupted weather report on the website itself.

I havn't yet thrown ASX into the mix as well. This time I'll turn off all the turbulance and gusts and see what happens, I'll use the FSX weather source again.

Okay.

Meanwhile i think I'll add the option to suppress directional variance separately in any case, and default it on (i.e. suppressed). I'll also put the QNH smoothing into the on-line interface as I don't think it does any harm, even if it does no good.

But I think I'll leave the temperature one out (of the on-line options, that is). I know you had something odd going on with that, but I suspect sudden changes in OAT are indeed possible and even normal when traversing loud layers and so on, and I've also got to allow them to change as fast as you are ascending or descending, so the whole area is peppered with problems.

Regards

Pete

Oh yes, this works! v4231 with all turbulance off (incl clouds) also gusts suppressed and FSX download weather I just had quite a nice flight in the PMDG 747X :D No nasty wind shifts at all, pressure varied a wee bit but TATs are a problem though, they were varying sharply from -22C to -34C which means your Mach varies from c.76 to the c.86 with an intended cruise of .820 so masses of power surges and drops, that does need smoothing more than the pressure (based on this flight anyway). No nasty loss of heading and nicely and suitably bumpy for tonight's weather on finals into Glasgow. All in all the best flight I've had on FSX yet in the 747 but we do need to do something about the TATs, it would have been a lovely flight without that jumping as much as it did and, as a veteran of many long range 744 flights real world as a passenger you rarely hear the engines surge/plummet like that in the cruise.

Nice one sir, methinks you're so very nearly there!

Oh yes, this works! v4231 with all turbulance off (incl clouds) also gusts suppressed and FSX download weather I just had quite a nice flight in the PMDG 747X :D No nasty wind shifts at all

Okay. Maybe my turbulence emulation needs toning down a little. ;-)

pressure varied a wee bit but TATs are a problem though, they were varying sharply from -22C to -34C

Was this when cruising at one level, not climbing/descending?

I can't control TAT, but you could see if enabling the OAT smoothing helps.

that does need smoothing more than the pressure (based on this flight anyway).

The trouble is that it is more difficult to do and still allow the right amount of change for altitude . I'll think about it. But also, none of the reports (till I mentioned it) said anything about OAT problems. Pressure jumps were much more of a problem with someone reporting altimeter readings jumpinh by as much as 1000' sometimes!

The more testing goes on the more confused I am getting, I must admit.

Regards

Pete

pressure varied a wee bit but TATs are a problem though, they were varying sharply from -22C to -34C

Was this when cruising at one level, not climbing/descending?

I can't control TAT, but you could see if enabling the OAT smoothing helps.

This was when cruising at FL340. I'll try the OAT smoothing.

The trouble is that it is more difficult to do and still allow the right amount of change for altitude . I'll think about it. But also, none of the reports (till I mentioned it) said anything about OAT problems. Pressure jumps were much more of a problem with someone reporting altimeter readings jumpinh by as much as 1000' sometimes!

The more testing goes on the more confused I am getting, I must admit.

Strangely on this flight most of the probs were caused by TAT changes, pressure was relatively well behaved or so it seemed. It certainly wasn't rock solid but most of the engine thrashing was caused by TAT variation. I don't blame you for getting disheartened but take comfort in the fact that things are now VASTLY better than they were!

Strangely on this flight most of the probs were caused by TAT changes, pressure was relatively well behaved or so it seemed. It certainly wasn't rock solid but most of the engine thrashing was caused by TAT variation. I don't blame you for getting disheartened but take comfort in the fact that things are now VASTLY better than they were!

4.232 is available now. Please change to that. The "variance" is now suppressed by default, separately from the other wind effects. I need to find out what component of all this is (sometimes?) upsetting the PMDG 747X autopilot's lateral control -- is it wind smoothing itself, with the effects being irrelevant, or is it wind variance, or turbulence, or is it completely indeterminate (as it would appear to be from the results so far reported here).

Once I know what is causing it (and I am asking PMDG to help here too) I might be able to allow for it somehow, but the way things appear to be at present, with it being unpredictable, I would have to document a warning to all PMDG users to avoid the facility altogether. And of course I'd rather not do that.

Oh, you can play more easily now with pressure and temperature smoothing (on the Miscellaneous page). And the turbulence amplitude is adjustable by an INI parameter (but not in FSX whilst flying). I've turned it down by default to half what it was -- down to its value in 4.217.

Looking forward to some really insightful analytical feedback, if you can manage it!

Thanks & Regards

Pete

Looking forward to some really insightful analytical feedback, if you can manage it!

On the basis of some feedback regarding turbulence, especially in clouds, I've made some changes to the way the turbulence is handled. Please see if version 4.233, now available in the FSX Downloads announcement, is better.

Regards

Pete

Well I've just done that same flight in the PMDG with v4232, all turbulence and gusts suppressed, pressure smoothing at 20 and OAT smoothing at 30. Absolutely brilliant :D Smooth as silk in most respects, most enjoyable. If 4233 is even better then I think we may have to elevate Pete above his customary Sainthood, in the last week the fun of flying FSX has multiplied 10 times thanks to this work. I'll fly the same flight again with v4233 tomorrow and see how that goes.

Pete, you are indeed an absolute star. This is a fantastic achievement to rid of us this rubbish in FSX :D That is as 'insightful and analytical' as this evening's report will get I'm afraid :wink:

I'll fly the same flight again with v4233 tomorrow and see how that goes.

FSUIPC 4.234 is now up and waiting for you. The main change is that it tries much harder to eliminate the silly spurious thin wind and temperature layers.

[LATER]

I spotted a couple of areas where I could improve things somewhat. So, please move on to version 4.235 for further tests.

Regards

Pete

Ah ok, I've just done one with 4.234! I'll try 4.235 on Thursday (and check for a 4.236 before doing it :wink: ). I'm pilot mentoring on Wednesday so can't try it then.

Anyway, tonight's with 4.234 if it's of any value! PMDG 744X again, Oslo-Glasgow as usual, FS Downloaded weather with 15 minute update, FSUIPC pretty much as it comes - pressure smoothing at 20, temp smoothing at 29, all turbulances supressed. Excellent flight - TATs moved but didn't jump, pressure moved but didn't jump, absolutely no sudden wind shifts, lovely climb and cruise with no nasties at all. On descent I passed through a layer at cFL240 where Weatherset showed quite a pressure gradient and, yes, the TATs moved fairly sharply but nothing nasty at all just a hint of a power surge but nothing like previously. This is nice!

I couldn't check it all the way down since I got a CTD passing through FL160 that I think I have traced to the DLL.XML file which had a changed order of loading with FSUIPC4 below FSCopilot (from the last time I created a new FSUIPC.INI), this is a "known" Bad Thing to have FSCopilot loading before anything else in DLL.XML. My fault for not checking it :oops:

So, all in all, this is looking incredibly good. 4.235 (or later) on Thursday night. The EGPF boys are starting to expect my arrival at about 2100z these days!