The simFlight Network Forums

Not just crazy turbulence, but gusts as well

Hello,

First of all, good job so far with the wind smoothing Pete! There are however, as mentioned earlier, few remaining issues, and for me they do not just affect PMDG 747-400X, but also at least Level-D 767-300.

At the current state I cant use the turbulence effect, since it makes the planes very unstable to fly as the wind speed jumps between different numbers at the speed of sound. :) However I was really pleased to read that Pete is developing a more realistic turbulence effect.

Anyway, for me also the gusts are very unstable, and can suddenly jump to speeds above 60kts, even if the gusts in FSX weather are set to something like 20-30kts. I believe that FSUIPC wind smoothing totally overrides FSX wind "engine", so its not possible for FSX to handle the gusts/turbulence and FSUIPC to just do the smoothing without adding its additional gust/turbulence effects? I know I can disable these in FSUIPC, but it would be nice to fly with wind smoothing and still be able to at least have gusts, since they add a bit of fun to the flying.

I'm using FSX with SP2 and only fly PMDG 747X and LDS 767-300.

Regards,

Antti Haka

I believe that FSUIPC wind smoothing totally overrides FSX wind "engine", so its not possible for FSX to handle the gusts/turbulence and FSUIPC to just do the smoothing without adding its additional gust/turbulence effects?

Correct.

I know I can disable these in FSUIPC, but it would be nice to fly with wind smoothing and still be able to at least have gusts, since they add a bit of fun to the flying.

I'll be addressing the gusts (and variance) too, in the same sort of way as the turbulence. I didn't mention it, because in the two weeks or so of beta testing before 4.25 was released, no one had any such problems. In fact only the PMDG 747 was adversely affected in any case. But I am not surprised that, with large gusts the same sort of problems can arise.

In FS9 and before, if you enabled wind smoothing in FSUIPC3, you got no gusts or turbulence in any case, so this really will be a new feature and one which obviously still needs development. I am anxious not to rush into it and do something which whilst accurate and realistic hits FSX frame rates noticeably. That is really the problem i have. The current implemenmtation is crude but costs nothing in terms of performance.

Regards

Pete

Thank you for the answer Pete!

It is indeed nice to know the wind features are being developed, and with true motivation and professionalism. I wonder what would happen to the FS world without these few top quality developers... Well ok, thats another subject already :)