The simFlight Network Forums

Controller Filter setting in FSUIPC4

Hello All

I seem to have the same problem everyone else does with the old style 15 pin game port. When I do a controller calibration for my CH Virtual Pilot Pro with pedals the Z axis value (throttle) returns the Y axis value (elevator) randomly about 5-10 times per second for a very quick instance then returns back to the correct Z axis value. Likewise the Y value returns the Z axis value but not as often. Of course there is no interest in fixing this problem conventionally by any driver software engineer that I can find. So I am seeking help here!

I read about a filter in the controller section in FSUIPC4 that is designed to smooth out the controllers response. However I am concerned that the filter won't suffice as it may simply average incorrect data with true data and ultimately changes the true value of the axis a bit after filtering. Has anyone found any real type of fix for this crazy problem so Windows XP doesn't do this?

I know nothing about the filter in FSUIPC4 as it stands but perhaps using a filter correction scheme that simply excludes any values that are obviously not part of the average instantaneous data would suffice.

A suggestion on my part but would be to implement a simple filter algorithm that aquires the RMS value of the controller data. The RMS method senses the "true power factor" of the data while short bursts of erroneous data have a minor influence. It's like bouncing a basketball against a heavy rudder, not much happens.

I haven't purchased Pete's software yet and I am hoping someone else with a similar problem can verify that his current filter works for this type of problem. He mentioned it was not a perfected filter by any means but if it works I will probably purchase the software. If you know how to alert Pete to this post that would be great.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

AFAIK the filter was designed to filter out spikes primarily for the 767PIC aircraft.

It acts on rudder, aileron, and elevator (each are selected individually) but it is not designed to filter out an incorrect axis.

I have no idea how it works but suspect it acts more like a 'cut' filter rather than averaging the values. What would happen on the PIC767 was that the rudder would flick from side to side and sometimes go hard over to one side, the filter reduced or eliminated that movement.

I assume you have asked this question in Pete's forum?

Regards

This is a duplicate thread, somehow. See viewtopic.php?f=54&t=68875 for my original answers, except for this addition:

AFAIK the filter was designed to filter out spikes primarily for the 767PIC aircraft.

It acts on rudder, aileron, and elevator (each are selected individually) but it is not designed to filter out an incorrect axis.

Ah, no, that's the "spike remover" on the Miscellaneous options tab. That merely removes any absolute minimum and maximum values from the input, on the basis that they aren't real. If you use those you have to calibrate with a little bit of leeway at the extremes so that the real inputs never get such spikes. The ones from the Wilco aircraft were if software origins, not from the joystick,

The filter facility being discussed before is the one operated by the "Filter" checkbox on the joystick calibration pages.

Regards

Pete