The simFlight Network Forums

Lost the ability to zoom in with the mouse wheel

Make sure that you dont have "use mousewheel as elevator trim" ticked in the misc menu in FSUIPC and see if you still have problems.

The fact that he can use the mousewheel for anything other than trim indicates that option is disabled.

I didn't even know the mousewheel operated the zoom. My my, that's interesting. I'll have to try it sometime.

Regards

Pete

Yes when you hold the space bar down to enter mouse look mode the mousewheel acts as a zoom device, thats one of the reasons why i asked you for the toggle option for the mousewheel trim option you added recently to FSUIPC. Thanks for that by the way it works fantastic.

Yes when you hold the space bar down to enter mouse look mode the mousewheel acts as a zoom device

Ah, so shouldn't I auto-disable the mousewheel trim whilst the space bar is held down? That would be easy enough to do. Couple of lines of code ...

Regards

Pete

That sounds like a nice idea

It's already done and dusted, in 4.264 released earlier today.

... there is another key combination you can use as well to toggle mouse look on and off: "SHIFT O" (not zero) if you could get the mousewheel trim to disable/enable on that key combo as well that would be great.

What does that do? And is it assignable to a control? If so then it would be the control I'd need to watch for in case it is re-assigned or used as a hotkey by something else, even FSUIPC.

Pete

Shift-O does the exact same thing as holding the space bar down, except it toggles the action on and off so you don't have to hold the space bar down. It is assignable in FSX controls, but this is where it gets very confusing. Altogether under the list of controls for the Views section, there are 3 mouse look assignments that are all called exactly the same thing.

1. just shows the "space bar" assigned to it by default.

2. shows "SHIFT O" assigned to it.

3. shows "/\ Space bar" assigned to it. (/\ actually looks like an upside down letter v)

Now if you delete any of the keys assigned to the above command by clicking on the delete key assignment button, and the same assignment doesn't also have a joystick button assigned to it, that assignable item disappears from the list completely never to be seen again until you click on the return to defaults button to reset all keys to default.

I'm sorry it sounds so confusing but that's Microsoft for you.

Shift-O does the exact same thing as holding the space bar down, except it toggles the action on and off so you don't have to hold the space bar down.

I've tested this and, in fact, the space bar by default actually uses the same toggle control ("MOUSE LOOK TOGGLE", but it sends it when pressed and also when released (also continuously whilst held), so cancels itself.

I think this is too complex for me to easily implement in the easy way I dealt with the simple space bar held action -- detecting the control is asynchronous compared to keyboard interception in any case, and things may get out of step. so I'll quit on this whilst I'm ahead.

Regards

Pete

my my my, thanks for the response. I thought I reset everything and still could not find the setting for it but I'll do it again. And yes, this is true, pressing shift+o locks the mouse wheel zoom so you don't have to hold the space bar down. I like to zoom when flying the helicopters or for getting a closer look at the runway on the final. Man, those helicopters are hard to handle, it took me 3 weeks to rescue the Rhino in one of the adventures. I think I landed upside down on a tree top when I first started. lol

have fun

• 1 year later...