The simFlight Network Forums

Radar Altitude

hi,

i have problem with FSUIPC's ground altitude data at adress 0x0020. sometimes i read small negative values sometimes zero.i have no trouble with other variables since now.

i am using fs2002 under XP.how can i read radar altitude correctly.any suggestions?

thanx.

i have problem with FSUIPC's ground altitude data at adress 0x0020. sometimes i read small negative values sometimes zero.

... and you read these when they are incorrect, or what? It is easily possibly to get such a ground elevation. In fact in some parts of the world the elevation can get down to nearly -1500' (-457 metres). I think over the Oceans you will see small variations around 0. This is all due to the satellite data FS uses for its underlying mesh.

Anyway, FSUIPC is not doing anything with that value, it is providing direct access to FS there. The value provided explicitly by FSUIPC is the one at 0B4C, but that's in metres not 1/256ths of a metre.

how can i read radar altitude correctly.any suggestions?

There's no radar altitude provided by FS. You have to subtract the ground elevation (0020 or 0B4C) from the plane's altitude (0570).

Pete

What about RADIO_HEIGHT token?

I use it and it works

That's okay if you are programming a gauge. All the code in FS does when you call that is subtract the ground altitude from the aircraft altitude and return the difference.

It isn't worth me having FSUIPC do this all the time just on the off-chance someone might want to read it, and I cannot simply do it when it is read because WideServer needs to be able to send changes out to clients as and when they occur, not when they are read (the reads on clients are 100% local).

So, it is much more efficient for applications to use the data which is actually maintained and do their own subtraction. After all, it is not all that complicated, now is it?

Regards,

Pete