The simFlight Network Forums

Mapping Yoke Button to WideFS Client Keyboard

I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to my question, so here goes. I am looking to map a key on my Saitek yoke connect to me FS computer to a combination keystroke on my laptop through FSUIPC and WideFS using both FS9 and FSX. I realized that I cannot use just the key, so I have already setup my software to acknowledge a . I cannot figure out how to get the client laptop to respond to the yoke command. I know that they are connected as I have the "1 connected" at the top of the screen. Any help would be appreciated. My FSUIPC and WideFS is registered.

Thanks,

John

I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to my question

Answers to most things are in the documentation supplied, rather than on Forums. It is quite extensive. Didn't you "search" that first? After all, that's why it is provided. Forums aren't documentation, they are for problem resolution.

I cannot figure out how to get the client laptop to respond to the yoke command. I know that they are connected as I have the "1 connected" at the top of the screen.

Assign the button to a KeySend control (in the drop down). With any so far unused parameter 1-255. Then in the [user] section of the WideClient.INI, add a KeySend line to define your keypress and, if the program is being loaded by WideClient (best), the Run or RunReady details.

Please do refer to the WideFS documentation supplied. It is all there, and it shouldn't have to be repeated verbatim here. If there's something you don't fully understand, by all means come back and ask a specific question, but please don't just ask how generally to do something which is documented.

Regards

Pete

Peter,

Thanks for the response. I realize that the manual is there for a reason, I looked through the WideFS User's Guide and couldn't find any help. I didn't realize that I needed to look at the Technical guide to get my answer. After getting your comment, I did do that and found that unfortunately the program that I am trying to use the yoke command for isn't associated with FS, therefore, I will need to dig deeper to get the CLASS Name for the program, which is Ventrilo. I have zilch experience with programming so I may just give up. Thanks for you help anyway.

John

... found that unfortunately the program that I am trying to use the yoke command for isn't associated with FS, therefore, I will need to dig deeper to get the CLASS Name for the program, which is Ventrilo.

Why on Earth do you want the class name? Why not have the program be loaded by WideClient, via one of the Run parameters. Then you can direct the keystroke quite precisely. I already suggested this. The class name method is hardly ever used these days, it was the first method implemented about 11 years ago!

Whether a program is associated with FS at all is totally irrelevant. If it can be run under Windows it can be started by WideClient. And WideClient has the handle on any program it is able to start.

Regards

Pete

OK, I guess I wasn't reading that when I was looking to map my yoke button. In reading the part about the KeySend command they only mentioned WideFS applications. I thought that to mean FSFlightKeeper, ActiveSky, etc., not any program that can run in Windows. I will dig a little deeper I suppose.

John

OK, I guess I wasn't reading that when I was looking to map my yoke button. In reading the part about the KeySend command they only mentioned WideFS applications. I thought that to mean FSFlightKeeper, ActiveSky, etc., not any program that can run in Windows. I will dig a little deeper I suppose.

Sorry, it just means "applications that WideFS knows about" -- i.e. the ones it loads. What they do when loaded is immaterial.

I am away on holiday after tomorrow morning, so if you have any specific technical question please do be quick. Otherwise, maybe others here can help. But it isn't hard, really.

Pete

Peter,

Thanks so much for the help. I am getting closer. At first it wasn't working until I realized that I had to put the "Run1" commands in the [user] section of the WideClient.ini file. Now I cannot wait to get home to test using my Saitek yoke. If I am looking at the commands correctly, the KeySend1=162,49 should he , correct? Unfortunately it looks as though I cannot just use the key and that I need to add another key with it. I will hopefully test within the next couple of hours and respond back.

This is just more helpful knowledge that I gained from using the WideFS program. That is nice because it will save me steps on both of my WideFS clients that I use. I will be able to load ActiveSky on one PC and FS FlightKeeper on my laptop when starting the WideFS client application.

Thanks again,

John

At first it wasn't working until I realized that I had to put the "Run1" commands in the [user] section of the WideClient.ini file.

Yes, pretty much all user-oriented parameters go there. The Config section is about how WideFS operates, not what options it performs.

If I am looking at the commands correctly, the KeySend1=162,49 should he , correct?

How do you work that out? The list in the document clearly says 162 is "left control". There are two "1"s, of course -- the main keyboard one which is 49 and the NumPad one which is 97 (but the numpad one would need NumLock on, as it says).

Please explain how you could possibly misinterpret the list in the document. I don't understand! :-(

And where are you getting ",49" from? The list of shift codes wouldn't get past 31 even if you had "Release key" and Shift and Control and Alt!

Maybe you have 49 for the "1", which should of course come first as it clearly shows in both text and all the examples, but then where do you get 162 for the shifts? Control is listed as 10, so the whole thing would be "49,10".

Please please please explain how my documentation is so bad that you get this screwed up so much? This is documentation which has been developed and used by many over 11 years or so. I am completely gobsmacked. :-(

Unfortunately it looks as though I cannot just use the key and that I need to add another key with it.

Well, there are two ways of trying that. First there are certainly codes for Left and Right control keys listed (there's no single control key code), but as noted these may or may not work. The other way to try is Ctrl + NULL (NULL just means zero), so "0,10".

Don't forget you need to identify the Run program as a another parameter on the line, so for control+1 with the Run1 program it would be:

KeySend1=49,10,Run1

assuming you assigned the button to KeySend with parameter 1 in FSUIPC.

Regards

Pete

I am very sorry that you are gobsmacked. :(

I got the KeySend1=162,49 command from here in the manual: 162 Left Control ** + Keyboard #1

I am sorry but I do not see how that is not LCntl+1. I will leave that alone for now. I will look into another key combinations. I know that the WideFS Client PC is getting something, because the computer dings meaning that the key combination is wrong. The bigger problem with Ventrilo is that you need to specify Left and Right when issuing the Shift Alt and Cntl buttons. Does the KeySend need a Shift, Alt or Control selection along with an additional key press, or can I just issue a "SpaceBar+1" command. I think that might be what is making this more difficult. I will try some simple commands in Notepad and see if that is getting me anywhere.

Have a great vacation. Maybe I will have this worked out when you return. Sorry for the trouble that I cause. I am sure this is pretty easy and I am looking to deep into the problem. :oops:

John

I am very sorry that you are gobsmacked. :(

I got the KeySend1=162,49 command from here in the manual: 162 Left Control ** + Keyboard #1

I am sorry but I do not see how that is not LCntl+1.

Both 162 and 49 are KeyCodes, from the KeyCode list. The two numbers after the = are NOT a "LIST" of keycodes!!! Only the first is a KeyCode. The second is a value which adds the shifts, like Control, Alt and Shift. It says that very clearly here in a part of the document you clearly never looked at:

Here the first value determines the main key required. This is a Windows “virtual keycode”. A list of these is given in the table below. The second value determines additional shift states needed, as follows

8 key on its own

9 Shift +

10 Control +

11 Shift + Control +

12 Alt +

13 Shift + Alt +

14 Control + Alt +

15 Shift + Control + Alt +

I've never had anyone in such confusion as you! You are obviously picking bits out of the documentation without even bothering to read it! I should not have to quote parts here!!! :-(

Please go and read it a little more slowly. AND look at the examples! Surely they are clear? You can have only one number from the KeyCode list, then one number giving the shift states.

I am on holiday now for over two weeks so you have plenty of time to read it and sort yourself out. if you still have any questions then you can ask me again -- I'm back on the 19th may.

Pete